Playing time or roster guesses?

This is not an attempt to guess starters exactly, but more intended as a discussion starter, but also because I can hardly wait for the season to begin. 

Anchors:

TJD

Race

X

Kopp

Bates

Rotation guys:

Stewart

Geronimo

Durr

Galloway

Phinisee

Leal

(and on Leal, thought he was underutilized by Archie.  Smart, unselfish, and a potential breakout 3-pt. threat, he could help if given an opportunity)

Likely struggle to get minutes:

Lander

Duncomb

I'm really interested in seeing what we have in Jordan Geronimo at the end of the season.  I'm not expecting him to explode from Day 1.  But, by the end of the year, I think there will be a buzz about him, not only among Hoosier fans, but possibly across Big Ten country, and as a player to keep an eye on nationally going into next year.  

• Like 5

I think Lander is going to have a chance to get minutes, he just has to do something with them when he does. Leal i disagree with, i think he might struggle to get minutes, unless he is hitting 3-pt shots then i can see Coach Woodson leaving him in. Also Galloway shouldn't get as many minutes as he did last year unless he shows some improvement offensively.

Edited by Hoosier51

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think Lander is going to have a chance to get minutes, he just has to do something with them when he does. Leal i disagree with, i think he might struggle to get minutes, unless he is hitting 3-pt shots then i see Coach Woodson leaving him in. Also Galloway shouldn't get as many minutes as he did last year unless he shows some improvement offensively.

Lander is going to be an interesting one to follow. He'll definitely get a chance to show what he can do, but I do wonder how quickly that chance will come and what it will look like next season? It does say something that he hardly played at all on the Bahamas trip. I know the new staff has a lot to get up to speed with since they're completely new and there are new players, etc., but it does seem to say something that he hardly played. 

On Galloway and Leal, I completely agree. I like both and am glad both are with IU. With that said, it says a lot about where the program was and Archie's recruiting that a guy like Galloway as a freshmen was starting at times and played nearly 20mpg. Again, i think he has the chance to be a really good player, don't get me wrong, but at a healthy, contending program (Michigan, MSU, Villanova, etc.) a guy like Galloway as a freshmen is sitting and learning, mostly getting mop up duty, not starting playing 20mpg. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think Lander is going to have a chance to get minutes, he just has to do something with them when he does. Leal i disagree with, i think he might struggle to get minutes, unless he is hitting 3-pt shots then i see Coach Woodson leaving him in. Also Galloway shouldn't get as many minutes as he did last year unless he shows some improvement offensively.

I would say all three won't play much if they can't play d. They all have capable offensive games, but if they can't keep anyone in front of them, then they'll be riding the pine. Lander has to take it to the hole WAY more. He seemed to force threes or pass every time. I understand he needs to improve his shot, but I don't understand why he was only using his speed to pass. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I would say all three won't play much if they can't play d. They all have capable offensive games, but if they can't keep anyone in front of them, then they'll be riding the pine. Lander has to take it to the hole WAY more. He seemed to force threes or pass every time. I understand he needs to improve his shot, but I don't understand why he was only using his speed to pass. 

Agree on the D, though I thought both Galloway and Leal played pretty tough D last season especially for freshmen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

This is not an attempt to guess starters exactly, but more intended as a discussion starter, but also because I can hardly wait for the season to begin. 

Anchors:

TJD

Race

X

Kopp

Bates

Rotation guys:

Stewart

Geronimo

Durr

Galloway

Phinisee

Leal

(and on Leal, thought he was underutilized by Archie.  Smart, unselfish, and a potential breakout 3-pt. threat, he could help if given an opportunity)

Likely struggle to get minutes:

Lander

Duncomb

I don't see us going 11 deep. Seems to me that if Leal wants playing time, he is going to either have to take it from Kopp or Stewart. If Galloway wants it, he is going to have to shoot.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  I thought Leal, especially, had some very good defensive moments.

Just an observation from last year...

I thought Galloway was a much better on the ball defender than Leal, even though at times he was overmatched...

I thought Leal did a good job in the passing lanes and anticipation though that didn't really fit into Archie's defensive scheme from what I've read...

Coach Woody seems to embrace both good man up defense and playing for turnovers...it will be interesting to see how he uses each kid...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Lander is going to be an interesting one to follow. He'll definitely get a chance to show what he can do, but I do wonder how quickly that chance will come and what it will look like next season? It does say something that he hardly played at all on the Bahamas trip. I know the new staff has a lot to get up to speed with since they're completely new and there are new players, etc., but it does seem to say something that he hardly played. 

On Galloway and Leal, I completely agree. I like both and am glad both are with IU. With that said, it says a lot about where the program was and Archie's recruiting that a guy like Galloway as a freshmen was starting at times and played nearly 20mpg. Again, i think he has the chance to be a really good player, don't get me wrong, but at a healthy, contending program (Michigan, MSU, Villanova, etc.) a guy like Galloway as a freshmen is sitting and learning, mostly getting mop up duty, not starting playing 20mpg. 

I think by the time all three are juniors or seniors they could be really good players for the Hoosiers. Mix them in with the recruits IU has coming in and the Hoosiers might be looking at their next National Championship. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

My guess is rotations and playing time will be the ongoing question even after the season starts. The first three games you hope they win easily at home but it should allow lots of guys to play. Then the season really starts.

The first true test is St. John's in game number four at Bloomington. A couple weeks ago Athlon predicted the Red Storm will get a 12 seed in the tournament. At that point I'll be interested in who starts and how the rotations work. Does CMW shrink the bench? Does he sub in waves and play a lot of guys? No idea but it should become clear how things are going to work against better competition.

Then you get some cupcakes before heading to Syracuse at the end of November.

This may be the game that tells us how realistic expectations are for the season. If Syracuse is playing a high level zone defense (predicated 9 seed in same Athlon prediction) and IU has success beating the zone, then you have to feel they are set for conference play. If they struggle finding open shots or making open shots, that's going to be a red flag.

All that said, TJD will be a staple getting big minutes and leading the way in the stat book; X is my guess as team's vocal and emotional leader (one they haven't had since Yogi); and whether he starts or not it's going to be hard to keep Tamar Bates off the floor.

• Like 2

Personally I would assume we'll have our share of blowouts early with that schedule and am very good with trying to get everyone experience.  Once we get to conference play, I hope the only ones who play many meaningful minutes are

TJD

Race

X

Kopp

Bates

Stewart

Geronimo

Durr

Don't really need to play more than 8 very many minutes per game.  I'm good if #9 and #10 get very few minutes in a close game.  I guess I hope that's Lander and Leal, but could be Galloway or RP too I guess.  I just feel like the potential is there with Lander and want to see it so badly.  I know nothing about Duncomb, so maybe I'm selling him short?

• Like 1

I don't know how revealing this is because of the differences between the college game and the pros, but in his 9 head coaching seasons in the NBA Coach Woodson pretty much stuck to a 7–8 man rotation of players that played at least half of the game.

Of course there are different considerations in the college game, but I think that provides at least a sliver of insight...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know how revealing this is because of the differences between the college game and the pros, but in his 9 head coaching seasons in the NBA Coach Woodson pretty much stuck to a 7–8 man rotation of players that played at least half of the game.

Of course there are different considerations in the college game, but I think that provides at least a sliver of insight...

You have to get an enormous amount of buy-in from a college team to build a program that way.  Kids want to play, and that approach may work if you only give out 10 schollies, 11 if one is named Priller.  But, if you hand out 13 scholarships to kids that can both play and want to play, then if your rotation is only 8, you will have 5 unhappy players.  And, if that happens, at least 1 or 2 of them will be distractions.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You have to get an enormous amount of buy-in from a college team to build a program that way.  Kids want to play, and that approach may work if you only give out 10 schollies, 11 if one is named Priller.  But, if you hand out 13 scholarships to kids that can both play and want to play, then if your rotation is only 8, you will have 5 unhappy players.  And, if that happens, at least 1 or 2 of them will be distractions.  

Baylor and Gonzaga both only had 6 players that averaged over 20 mpg last year and both had 9 or less (Baylor had 9, Gonzaga 7) that averaged double digit minutes.

I think Coach Woody has his work cut out for him in deciding who gets those minutes, that's for sure...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Baylor and Gonzaga both only had 6 players that averaged over 20 mpg last year and both had 9 or less (Baylor had 9, Gonzaga 7) that averaged double digit minutes.

I think Coach Woody has his work cut out for him in deciding who gets those minutes, that's for sure...

I don't know, but I doubt either of those teams had 13 scholarship players.  Or, if they did, they had injuries or redshirts in the mix.  

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know, but I doubt either of those teams had 13 scholarship players.  Or, if they did, they had injuries or redshirts in the mix.  

I don't know either...

But I do think we, as IU fans, become obsessed with keeping kids happy enough to stay, especially the in state kids...

I'm afraid with the new transfer rules it's inevitable that some kids are going to transfer each year for more playing time.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know either...

But I do think we, as IU fans, become obsessed with keeping kids happy enough to stay, especially the in state kids...

I'm afraid with the new transfer rules it's inevitable that some kids are going to transfer each year for more playing time.

The best players will play. That's the one thing I am fairly certain about with CMW. Once that's established, then some kids will have a decision to make. And, honestly, that's the way it should be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

i don't know either, but i'd be pretty shocked if you were right on this one.  i think pretty much all D1 schools carry 13 in a normal year don't they?  maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think many leave schollys sitting open for no reason very often.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

The best players will play. That's the one thing I am fairly certain about with CMW. Once that's established, then some kids will have a decision to make. And, honestly, that's the way it should be.

agreed.  and in this culture, you're not gonna keep everyone happy.  if you worry about that, you're in trouble.  kids will transfer.  it's just the way now.  if you don't have immediate success, run somewhere else.  no penalty.   

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Baylor had 12 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons... Gonzaga had 13 scholarship players, and 5 walk-ons...

I kept reading when looking at the numbers that a D1 college basketball team is limited to 15 players and 13 scholarship players, but as you can see here Gonzaga had 18 players listed on their roster...

Not sure how that all works with redshirts and other considerations...

Edited by IUFLA

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Baylor had 12 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons... Gonzaga had 13 scholarship players, and 5 walk-ons...

I kept reading when looking at the numbers that a D1 college basketball team is limited to 15 players and 13 scholarship players, but as you can see here Gonzaga had 18 players listed on their roster...

Not sure how that all works with redshirts and other considerations...

I think that 15 player limit (I also saw 16 somewhere but I'm not sure how credible that is) is for a game roster. So I believe a team could have as many walk-ons as they want but for each game have to submit a roster of who is eligible to play which is capped at 15.

I'm pretty sure IU has been over 15 total players on their roster many times.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know either, but i'd be pretty shocked if you were right on this one.  i think pretty much all D1 schools carry 13 in a normal year don't they?  maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think many leave schollys sitting open for no reason very often.  

I don't think most use all 13 scholarships