Playing time or roster guesses?

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Big 10 was evenly split last year...7 carried 13 scholarship players, and 7 didn't...

With the Covid chaos, it's not been necessary, but schools like Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue have used redshirting frequently in the past.  So, even if you had 13 schollies, only 11 or 12 were actually playing in a given season.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

With the Covid chaos, it's not been necessary, but schools like Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue have used redshirting frequently in the past.  So, even if you had 13 schollies, only 11 or 12 were actually playing in a given season.

Yeah, probably 2 bad years to look at...

Either way, I think creating the competitive atmosphere we currently have is a great way to go. I know it's sad when a kid transfers out because of playing time, but you can't blame them...

Edited by IUFLA

IMO early on and when BUILDING a program up you need all 13 scholarships. You need as many bites at the apple to build success and to build a foundation for your program. To instill culture that will carry over for several years before it becomes ingrain. Once you get successful and you've built that program into a powerhouse and your recruiting goes to the top of the country you don't necessarily need all 13. The talent level rises and you aren't needing to role the dice on some guys at the end of the bench or rely on them if you miss a recruit or two. You look at programs like Duke, UK, Kansas, etc they rarely field 13 scholarship players or at least the use some on character kids that will stick around the program and practice hard etc but not worried about game exposure. You need enough for injuries and splitting up and practicing against high quality players. The better the players the higher the intensity of practice etc. So 11/12 is pretty good but right now....we need all 13 because we simply need more bites at the apple to find a special player and to raise our practice/workout intensity. Competition in practice is important and that is what a full roster avails us right now. I think with the transfer portal in a couple years you might want to keep a scholarship in your back pocket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

“Never believe everything you read on the internet” - Abraham Lincoln 

My second favorite quote from an American President...

My first is George Washington's last words to his troops before they crossed the Delaware river...

"Let's get in the boat, boys." 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My second favorite quote from an American President...

My first is George Washington's last words to his troops before they crossed the Delaware river...

"Let's get in the boat, boys." 

Not a US President but one of my favorites was Order 227 from Stalin. Not one step back. 

On topic though this coming year and next couple. If you see minutes with us you've earned them. There are going to be some guys we love who will probably either be at the end of the bench or head elsewhere (nope...not saying who or speculating).

Bates is going to be on the floor often. We know TJD is. Race will. Leaves 40% for another 5-7 guys. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

633172887_giphy(8).gif.542fb20ea828fa157fdd4e8130705f74.gif

Lincoln actually adapted the quote from English poet John Lydgate “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. I only know this because I have looked it up before. 

• Like 1