Cincinnati post-game thread

We still have a good team we just need to gain a little momentum and figure out how to win. Losing to 2 top 10 teams doesn’t mean the season is a bust.  We will see more of what the team is made of when we play the mid level big ten teams.  It’s very frustrating especially with how everything worked out last year but a large majority of schools would be 1-2 with our schedule.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I do wonder how long they stick with Penix if he can't shake the rust. I expected him to have some rust, but I didn't think he'd look like a Ford Pinto that has been sitting vacant in the backwoods of Kentucky for the last 40 years.

Are we sure it is rust or have the injuries taken away his talent.  

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

There's zero regression for our program going to a 3rd straight bowl. 

Kind of silly to believe this program loses any momentum from 6-6. Like we aren't overly talented and our "weaker" starters are NOT where they need to be. 

Talent infusion. And it's coming. 

I said before the season, I think the most important thing for this year is to avoid the blow up year. 6 wins isn't what we all want, but anything that gets us to a bowl will keep at least a decent amount of the momentum going.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tuttle should start next week

Do not agree. He made a lot of bad decisions, but he'll get better mentally, he needs to settle his feet, quit forcing plays when there are none to be made. Fryfogle has to step it up, some big drops. Edit: the WR's had a bad day outside of Matthews. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

The offense needs a kick start. If it wasn’t for our defense creating momentum we wouldn’t have much of any. I know we talk about if we just eliminate our turnovers and the kick return we would win but if the defense doesn’t come up with their big momentum plays we had like one maybe two good drives all game. We can’t win depending on turnovers. Either we got to do a better job getting Penix into throws he is comfortable with or we need a change.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Where will those 7 wins come from

No team in the big is good enough to be guaranteed a win, I think any team in the B1G this season can lose on any given saturday, even OSU. Lets not act like the Hoosiers were complete ass out there, they were in the game until the end against a top 10 team, self inflicted wounds is what hurt them the most. They actually had the game in control until the ridiculous targeting call.

• Like 1

Agree. It has to start there. 

Just saying.. a decade ago we would have killed for 3 straight bowls and 8-5, 6-2, 6-6. 

Compared to the past this team is way more talented than our teams of the past.  Also there is more expectations for the program today so just making a no name bowl is not a huge deal.

Just now, dgambill said:

The offense needs a kick start. If it wasn’t for our defense creating momentum we wouldn’t have much of any. I know we talk about if we just eliminate our turnovers and the kick return we would win but if the defense doesn’t come up with their big momentum plays we had like one maybe two good drives all game. We can’t win depending on turnovers. Either we got to do a better job getting Penix into throws he is comfortable with or we need a change.

No real question the offense needs to be better, but it's also pretty easy to see how many points we left on the board. 

Their defense had momentum building plays.. why can't ours? 

We should have scored absolutely no less than 34... I think everyone can see that. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Compared to the past this team is way more talented than our teams of the past.  Also there is more expectations for the program today so just making a no name bowl is not a huge deal.

Ok.. but we played two top 10 teams in our first 3 games.. 

I never said making a no name bowl is a huge deal, I said we don't regress, which we don't. 

• Like 1

Agree. It has to start there. 

Just saying.. a decade ago we would have killed for 3 straight bowls and 8-5, 6-2, 6-6. 

And we definitely have the talent to win more than 6 games this year, but our schedule is brutal. We play 4 teams currently in the top 10. Plus @ Michigan, and MSU will be ranked next week. At this point, I'd be happy with 6 wins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No real question the offense needs to be better, but it's also pretty easy to see how many points we left on the board. 

We should have scored absolutely no less than 34... I think everyone can see that. 

Thomas Allen should not be the back up for arguably the best playmaker on the team. He's a huge step down in talent. I love the Allens but you can't tell me he's the best they have to back up McFadden. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

To me giving up the kickoff return was a killer.  We just took the lead and if our defense could have made a stop that could have changed the momentum all the way back to us.  I know we still went down and should have scored if not for the fumble.  To me on 1st and goal from the 3 would have been a good time for a play action pass to maybe Hendershot.  We seem to run on 1st down a lot do a pass there might have surprised them.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I’d even go 37 points (at least a TD, FG, FG on those three trips). We had a chance to put them down early and it didn’t happen.

• Like 1

Sitting in my car after the game….. something that sticks out big to me is Penix’s “type of picks”…. Each of those three turnovers by #9 were when he was in the pocket too long. He needs to scramble more under duress! The O line has not measured up to this point!!!! In my opinion Penix and the O-line is on watch… JMHO