Cincinnati post-game thread

44 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah forgot about him, he is another what could have been.

Biiiiig one. Right behind Landon Turner.

Creek was keeping us within the same ZIP code as Teflon John’s first class of mercenaries, and was every bit the equal of Wall and Bledsoe that night. Goes without saying that those two have had decent enough NBA careers. I still doubt Bledsoe’s ability to spell “NBA”, but that that’s a different topic. :coffee: 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Just from CTA’s post game vibe…..I get the feeling Penix is on thin ice right now 

I like that about Tom Allen. He isn’t a stone faced machine, or one that will just spew sunshine and rainbows. He’s respectful enough to keep the details private, but you can tell when he’s good and pissed off. 

And rightfully so. The McFadden deal was horse feces, but there was enough blame to go around to justify more than one ass chewing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Biiiiig one. Right behind Landon Turner.

Creek was keeping us within the same ZIP code as Teflon John’s first class of mercenaries, and was every bit the equal of Wall and Bledsoe that night. Goes without saying that those two have had decent enough NBA careers. I still doubt Bledsoe’s ability to spell “NBA”, but that that’s a different topic. :coffee: 

Mo Creek in a post game football thread is tremendous stream of consciousness.  I will make it worse.  If you really squint hard and imagine a healthy Creek in the Syracuse game….he may have been the missing player.  How good Creek really would have been is an unknown.  But it’s safe to say he was a guy who could shoot really well and had good size.

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And rightfully so. The McFadden deal was horse feces, but there was enough blame to go around to justify more than one ass chewing. 

The change in our defense’s play with and without McFadden was so blatantly direct, you’d have to call it causation and not coincidence.   The difference was stark.  

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Mo Creek in a post game football thread is tremendous stream of consciousness.  I will make it worse.  If you really squint hard and imagine a healthy Creek in the Syracuse game….he may have been the missing player.  How good Creek really would have been is an unknown.  But it’s safe to say he was a guy who could shoot really well and had good size.

A) Beats the hell out of dissecting that steaming turd of a game anymore

B) Why do you think my avatar is what it is? I hijack threads faster than DB Cooper on a 707.

C) I only started thinking that at halftime of that game. Even if he wasn’t the slasher he used to be, as long as he could get his own shot, yep…missing piece. 

• Haha 2

A few positives:

Our edge guys have been pretty good.  Ryder Anderson has been an excellent addition. Handy looks very promising.  Robbins is getting in there and had a pressure.  

We had 150 plus yards on the ground.  The run blocking was decent.  

Good play calling on both sides of the ball

The defense was tremendous when McFadden was out there.  

Negatives:

The mistakes.  Not sound.  

The QB isn’t getting it done.  Even if he made some good throws in the second half, the inconsistency is maddening.  

Receivers as a whole are not getting it done right now.   Fryfogle has a track record and will be back but he didn’t separate today.  Matthews was good.  Marshall is invisible for a starter.  For him to be out there that many snaps with no plays is not good enough.  Swinton didn’t compete on one of the few good Penix tosses.  Buckley. Nada   As a group, I expected more from our veteran receivers.  

Receiver is a tough position to learn at this level.  We have some highly rated recruits at receiver.  Jordyn Williams.  Green.  Holt-Bennett.  All were well recruited.   I wonder if they can get coached up to help.  

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Replace the Colts with the Bears for me...I can relate, as most people here can. 

Put in the White Sox for me . Getting to OLD to wait for Championships. I like w hat coach Allen is building but tired of the shooting yourself in the foot. Don't like to blame 1 play for a loss BUT THAT TARGETTING CALL ? WOW the Allen roughing the passer so there are2 calls I ? IS this not a contact sport? Night all!!! Bears also here!!😀

Edited by loviubb

If some think people are overreacting on here you should go over to rivals.  You will get a good laugh because those people are morons.  They are all over coach Allen and saying he is not the long term solution.  They are saying he is more of a cheerleader than an on game coach and he always gets outcoached.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If some think people are overreacting on here you should go over to rivals.  You will get a good laugh because those people are morons.  They are all over coach Allen and saying he is not the long term solution.  They are saying he is more of a cheerleader than an on game coach and he always gets outcoached.

I couldn’t be that delusional if I spent the day smoking a full pound of Maui Wowie with Cheech Marin, with a shroom and peyote pizza for munchies. 

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That’s what crazy, delusional IU fans do on Rivals. This is what I want to tell them…….and some of us on here at times 😆

5AF6AF46-10DE-4AAB-8C7E-4B465D5AEB72.gif

Just got settled on the couch after attending the game, driving home, and going to the grocery.  I've not read the game thread or this thread yet, so if I repeat something that has been beat to death, I apologize...

Really not many positives other than I thought the defense played really well for the first quarter and a half.

• Couldn't really tell from where I sat whether the targeting call was legit or not.  But, it was a huge momentum changing moment and left a big hole in our defense the rest of the game..
  • I though Penix threw the deep ball fairly well.  His receivers did not make some plays they should have.
  • That said, he was just plain bad over the middle and on out patterns.  He held the ball too long and tried to force things that just weren't there.
  • Literally, the only time it looked like he tried to throw it away was on 4th down in the waning minutes of the game.  That's obviously not the most opportune time to decide to throw it away.
  • On the 4th down failure in the red zone in the first half, I literally told my son that it was a bad move even before it failed.  You are dominating things at that point.  Put 3 on the board, go up 10-0, and be happy.
  • I also literally told my son I thought Penix would try to force something just before his interception in the end zone.  Once again, throw the ball away, kick the field goal, and be happy about it.
  • No excuse for a kickoff return TD.  Kick the damn ball through the end zone every time.  If you don't have someone that can do that, find someone that can.
  • Absolutely atrocious play call on Ellis' fumble.  Yes, he has to secure the ball, but outside both tackles was wide open for a score, yet we try to plunge straight up the middle.  That had no chance to do anything even if he held onto the ball. 
  • As much of a disappointment Penix has been, Fryfogle has been just a big of one.  He's not getting open and drops it when he does.
Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

I think a lot of IU fans are massively overreacting to this game.

This game was particularly frustrating in that, for the majority of the game, I think IU was the better team, but we beat ourselves continually.

The defense with McFadden is elite.  They made Cincinnati look TERRIBLE until he got ejected for targeting.  After that, the defense was still decent, but lacked the aggression and pressure it was getting with McFadden in.  Without that targeting call, I think there's a high likelihood IU heads into the half up 21-0 instead of 14-10.  Just a massive swing in the game on that.  I haven't had a chance to see the replay as I didn't really see it live, but it sounds like he got shoved into Ridder.  If that's true, what a horrible call.

I also thought the offense, outside of Penix, looked pretty good once it settled in and the offensive line looked, if not great, like it's improving week to week.

I really like Penix, and I honestly thought before the year started he was going to have a banner year, and I still believe he has the potential to be that qb. 

Right now, though, I don't think he's really "back" from his injury.  Physically maybe, but not mentally. 

It's really, really hard to win games, especially against good teams, when you throw 2-3 interceptions every game. 

It might be time to have Tuttle step in, at least for a little while, and maybe get McCulley some time against WKU if we have the opportunity.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just got settled on the couch after attending the game, driving home, and going to the grocery.  I've not read the game thread or this thread yet, so if I repeat something that has been beat to death, I apologize...

Really not many positives other than I thought the defense played really well for the first quarter and a half.

• Couldn't really tell from where I sat whether the targeting call was legit or not.  But, it was a huge momentum changing moment and left a big hole in our defense the rest of the game..
  • I though Penix through the deep ball fairly well.  His receivers did not make some plays they should have.
  • That said, he was just plain bad over the middle and on out patterns.  He held the ball too long and tried to force things that just weren't there.
  • Literally, the only time it looked like he tried to throw it away was on 4th down in the waning minutes of the game.  That's obviously not the most opportune time to decide to throw it away.
  • On the 4th down failure in the red zone in the first half, I literally told my son that it was a bad move even before it failed.  You are dominating things at that point.  Put 3 on the board, go up 10-0, and be happy.
  • I also literally told my son I thought Penix would try to force something just before his interception in the end zone.  Once again, throw the ball away, kick the field goal, and be happy about it.
  • No excuse for a kickoff return TD.  Kick the damn ball through the end zone every time.  If you don't have someone that can do that, find someone that can.
  • Absolutely atrocious play call on Ellis' fumble.  Yes, he has to secure the ball, but outside both tackles was wide open for a score, yet we try to plunge straight up the middle.  That had no chance to do anything even if he held onto the ball. 
  • As much of a disappointment Penix has been, Fryfogle has been just a big of one.  He's not getting open and drops it when he does.

I think after the OSU game last year everyone looked at Fryfogle as being a coaches all American.  He had a good season, but the expectations coming into this season are off the mark, IMO.  He is a decent receiver, but not a game changer week in week out.

Edited by jv1972iu

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I think after the OSU game last year everyone looked at Fryfogle as being a coaches all American.  He had a good season, but the expectations coming into this season are off the mark, IMO.  He is a decent receiver, but not a game changer week in week out.

His OSU game was definitely special but aside from that he had a very good year.  11 catches against MSU, 142 yards against UM, had at least one TD in 4 straight games (against BT, no non-conference cupcakes, last year), media 1St team BT and coaches 2nd team BT, etc etc. Doesn’t look the same this year (and in fairness to him neither does his QB). 

Interesting, I’m watching the PSU-Auburn game and they showed the Cincinnati Kickoff Return for a TD. However, if looked at the far left, you can clearly see an Cincy player from the sidelines run onto the field by crossing the white line around the 25, which should’ve been a flag. It doesn’t matter anymore, but something I saw

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1

Maybe this is a bad analogy. I feel because of our schedule in hoops last year Lander never got a chance get comfortable or even get minutes. Same goes for Penix right now. Because of our schedule (playing two top 10 teams already) he's not getting a chance to be game comfortable.

There were 3-4 throws that only he can make and he didn't get much help. If Fryfogle makes that one catch....game changes. 

I also feel like maybe because of his injury history I'm wanting Penix to succeed so much it's impacting my objectivity as it relates to his play. With the exception of next (not a given) week the schedule doesn't get any easier as we all know so staff/Penix/WR's better figure out the throws he does well and put an emphasis on those.

Of course if he's hurt when they announce on Monday it's all moot. 

• Like 2