Cincinnati post-game thread

6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Me thinks it's gonna be a looong season......

I hope you're wrong but think you're probably right, given preseason expectations. I have a hard time seeing us beat Michigan, PSU, or OSU. That puts us at five losses. It might come down to Purdue on the road for bowl eligibility. Not liking that scenario at all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I hope you're wrong but think you're probably right, given preseason expectations. I have a hard time seeing us beat Michigan, PSU, or OSU. That puts us at five losses. It might come down to Purdue on the road for bowl eligibility. Not liking that scenario at all.

Has anybody thought about going 2-10, 3-9, or 4-8?  After yesterday...I sure as heck have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Has anybody thought about going 2-10, 3-9, or 4-8?  After yesterday...I sure as heck have.

Games we won't win PSU, OSU, UM so that is 5 losses.  Games we better win WKU.  So to get to 7 wins we have to win all of the other games against PU, Minnesota, MSU, Rutgers, and Maryland.  I don't see anyway how we are playing right now we will win all of those games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Games we won't win PSU, OSU, UM so that is 5 losses.  Games we better win WKU.  So to get to 7 wins we have to win all of the other games against PU, Minnesota, MSU, Rutgers, and Maryland.  I don't see anyway how we are playing right now we will win all of those games.

I wouldn't put UM as a game we can't win, yes they have played well these first couple of games but they have also played WKU, Northern Illinois and a Washington team that lost to Montana. Also OSU and PSU are beatable. 

Edited by Hoosier51

I'm sorry.  i didn't read all of the comments above, just most of the first few pages.  Maybe some before me feel as I do as stated below.

Yes, we gave up a KO return for a touchdown.  Yes, we gave up four TD's, but one was the KO and others had to do with our TO's.  The defense was magnificent in the first half.  The targeting penalty looked bogus to me.  I thought he hit the QB in the shoulder with his arm/shoulder.  Whatever!

But the offense?  How many tries inside the 20 or 10 yard line does a team need to score?  Why can't you make a 4th and less than one yard play?  Now the real problem, I think, is Michael Penix.  He just does not look anything like the guy he was before he got hurt last year?  Is it just confidence?  Is the offensive line that much weaker than last year?  Penix throws now like he's afraid to do something wrong instead of with confidence like last year., so he ends up forcing balls and getting intercepted.  Six interceptions against Iowa and Cincy is just too much and a formula for losing.  There are virtually no long downfield plays.  Maybe that is the offensive game plan's fault.  He also doesn't really want to run.  He is playing scared.  Can't win that way.

Just my take.

Edited by IUguy

47 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I'm sorry.  i didn't read all of the comments above, just most of the first few pages.  Maybe some before me feel as I do as stated below.

Yes, we gave up a KO return for a touchdown.  Yes, we gave up four TD's, but one was the KO and others had to do with our TO's.  The defense was magnificent in the first half.  The targeting penalty looked bogus to me.  I thought he hit the QB in the shoulder with his arm/shoulder.  Whatever!

But the offense?  How many tries inside the 20 or 10 yard line does a team need to score?  Why can't you make a 4th and less than one yard play?  Now the real problem, I think, is Michael Penix.  He just does not look anything like the guy he was before he got hurt last year?  Is it just confidence?  Is the offensive line that much weaker than last year?  Penix throws now like he's afraid to do something wrong instead of with confidence like last year., so he ends up forcing balls and getting intercepted.  Six interceptions against Iowa and Cincy is just too much and a formula for losing.  There are virtually no long downfield plays.  Maybe that is the offensive game plan's fault.  He also doesn't really want to run.  He is playing scared.  Can't win that way.

Just my take.

IDK, ask HC Frank Reich and the Colts!!!!

Look we all knew this was going to be a very hard start! So let’s not go crazy here! What is upsetting is how easily we could have won this Cincy game! I mean the four turnovers in the red zone! Terrible! 
Makes you lose trust in Penix and his offense! 
Look there is no doubt Penix isn’t the same guy we watch win games for us last year! I for one don’t think we can afford to hang our hat on him. Time to get Tuttle and the freshmen some looks. 
we all knew the more winnable games are at the back end of our schedule so we need to get them ready!