The Hoosiers Being targeted?

jojo123

Was Tom Allen and his team culture being targeted. Think about it. Not a popular choice proclaiming to be  a devout Christian as coach does as well as many of the players and coaches. it preserves the big money game is a couple weeks when Cincy plays the Irish. The play was so not noticeable the QBs head never moved. Thomas Allen was targeted in clear view with no targeting called and no ejection. Was Penix sharp, no. could we and should we have still won the game, yes. but when you play against the system you must play perfect and we don't. sometimes the cheating is so obvious its stupid. This was one of those times. Maybe I am way off base? So someone else answer the why. 

I don't think teams get targeted specifically, I just think there is a major bias towards higher ranked teams.

In yesterday's game, there were 3 in play penalties. The McFadden and Allen hits on the QB, and a Cincinnati defensive holding. Everything else was before or after the play.

I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that in around 150 plays, there wasn't a single offensive holding on either team, or defensive pass interference (our 1st drive of the 2nd half there was a blatant one on 3rd down).

On the one play, Allen is literally grabbed and thrown to the ground during the play, no holding. Then the guy dives into him helmet to helmet while he's laying on the ground, no replay.

I think calls on the field are usually more incompetence and bias than corruption, even if they do favor higher ranked teams usually. Calls from the booth however, I have zero confidence those aren't corrupt.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Was Tom Allen and his team culture being targeted. Think about it. Not a popular choice proclaiming to be  a devout Christian as coach does as well as many of the players and coaches. it preserves the big money game is a couple weeks when Cincy plays the Irish. The play was so not noticeable the QBs head never moved. Thomas Allen was targeted in clear view with no targeting called and no ejection. Was Penix sharp, no. could we and should we have still won the game, yes. but when you play against the system you must play perfect and we don't. sometimes the cheating is so obvious its stupid. This was one of those times. Maybe I am way off base? So someone else answer the why. 

There is an Oliver Stone movie in there somewhere.

• Haha 3

No offense, but this is ridiculous.  

Top ten team with the hope of being the first G5 team in the playoff is what you are looking for, and even then, I think it's more of a subconscious "give the benefit of the doubt" to the "better" team and preserving Cincinnati's chances for the playoff rather than an active agenda.

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't think teams get targeted specifically, I just think there is a major bias towards higher ranked teams.

In yesterday's game, there were 3 in play penalties. The McFadden and Allen hits on the QB, and a Cincinnati defensive holding. Everything else was before or after the play.

I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that in around 150 plays, there wasn't a single offensive holding on either team, or defensive pass interference (our 1st drive of the 2nd half there was a blatant one on 3rd down).

On the one play, Allen is literally grabbed and thrown to the ground during the play, no holding. Then the guy dives into him helmet to helmet while he's laying on the ground, no replay.

I think calls on the field are usually more incompetence and bias than corruption, even if they do favor higher ranked teams usually. Calls from the booth however, I have zero confidence those aren't corrupt.

In my mind there were four blatant PIs that got missed, three of which where by Cincinnati and two of those led directly to points. 

The final shot to the end zone Cinci took in the first half, their WR ran into a stationary DB and knocked him down. A penalty would have resulted in a much more difficult field goal for their shaky kicker. 

The first drive of the second half when they grabbed Fryfogle’s arm on third down. Who knows what would have come of that drive or the game momentum. 

The TD pass where their TE shoved our DB in his back so he couldn’t contest a jump ball. 

we did mug them to get the ball back on a third down late. 

• Like 1

I don't think we as a program are being targeted, though I do think there are several Big Ten programs with people who would rather see us go back to standing in the corner and leaving them alone. 

I feel like football officials are being trained to look for penalties on plays instead of reacting to what they see. The roughing the passer call on Allen was total bullsh*t. That play happens multiple times in every NFL game each week, and there's no flag as long as the QB's name isn't Tom Brady. But officials have been conditioned to believe that big hits on the QB might be dangerous, so big hit just after the throw = flag. 

I also hate how broadcasters calling the game are constantly making excuses for officials over-officiating. On the targeting call yesterday, they thought the play being reviewed was incomplete pass or a fumble. They seemed to be caught off-guard by the possibility of targeting, but immediately voiced their support for the call. It's perfectly fine to disagree with the call and still be unbiased, but all you ever hear from the TV guys is how the refs are awesome, no one else could do better and how skill players need protection from the evil linebackers trying to decapitate them. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

In my mind there were four blatant PIs that got missed, three of which where by Cincinnati and two of those led directly to points. 

The final shot to the end zone Cinci took in the first half, their WR ran into a stationary DB and knocked him down. A penalty would have resulted in a much more difficult field goal for their shaky kicker. 

The first drive of the second half when they grabbed Fryfogle’s arm on third down. Who knows what would have come of that drive or the game momentum. 

The TD pass where their TE shoved our DB in his back so he couldn’t contest a jump ball. 

we did mug them to get the ball back on a third down late. 

That one on Fryfogle to start the 2nd half was inexcusable. Right in front of a ref. That crew yesterday was just bad in general. They let so much go and missed so many calls.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, Leathernecks said:

That one on Fryfogle to start the 2nd half was inexcusable. Right in front of a ref. That crew yesterday was just bad in general. They let so much go and missed so many calls.

100%. There was a ton of bad officiating all weekend. 

The Auburn v Penn State game they made PSU punt on third down and called a targeting on Auburn that was probably worse than the one on McFadden. 

• Like 2