The Targeting Rule is Broken

rogue3542

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Officiating in college football sucks in general. Penn State had to punt on 3rd down. Memphis ran a punt return back for TD after ref blew the play dead and the let it stand. 

College football and college basketball are the two worst, but in my opinion officiating sucks in all sports. There are so many bad judgement calls and missed calls, and the replay booths some of theirs has me shaking my head at times.

There should be a flagrant one and a flagrant two like in basketball.  Flagrant two would be where there was some sort of malicious intent and then the player could be ejected.  Obviously, here, there was no malicious intent.  It was an awkward collision.  Forget slow motion. When two (or more) bodies are independently moving, you never know what type of angle they will intersect.  

I can swallow the penalty but the rule calling for ejection is truly asinine.  Tossing a kid who didn’t intend the result is on its face idiotic.  It needs fixed.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can swallow the penalty but the rule calling for ejection is truly asinine.  Tossing a kid who didn’t intend the result is on its face idiotic.  It needs fixed.

Yeah this is what pisses me off the most about it, there is no way he should have been ejected for that play, it completly changed the game. I can live with the penalty but like you said the ejection rule is asinine.

In my opinion, which might not be popular with some of the doomsayers lol, the Hoosiers win that game if he doesn't get ejected. Allen is probably a nice kid but there is a big difference between him and Mcfadden being on the field.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 4

My big problem with this is that the whole intent of the rule has been subverted and is completely changing the complexion of games, in the case of the OSU vs Minnesota game, it was criminal not to call that and near confirmation of the bias nearly all Big Ten fans know Ohio State receives.

There was helmet to helmet contact with the McFadden play, but it was glancing, both players were moved into each other, and there was no launching or intent to punish the offensive player.  The result; however, is we have an after the fact review on a play that literally no one even smelled targeting on removing IU's best defensive player early in the game; just doesn't smell right.  If you're nitpicking on a glancing blow, it shouldn't be called.

Contrast that with the other hit.  Clear intent to harm and launched into the blindside of the receiver gunning for the helmet - literally knocked the Minnesota player out.  Not only did they not call targeting, they didn't even review for it.  Instead, they review for a fumble and reward the ball to Ohio State.  

Targeting is supposed to protect players from head injuries - the two plays above illustrate that it is utterly failing due to incompetence from officials.

If you want to call the penalty on McFadden, fine, I guess there's someway you can justify it within the rule set (though honestly, I think we're looking for penalties at this point), but to get ejected over that is just asinine.

The fact that the OSU player was not ejected is, in my opinion, equally as bad if not worse.  He was clearly looking to hurt Minnesota's wide receiver, and he succeeded.  It's exactly the type of play the targeting rule was invented to get rid of, and the OSU player deserved to be ejected for it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah this is what pisses me off the most about it, there is no way he should have been ejected for that play, it completly changed the game. I can live with the penalty but like you said the ejection rule is asinine.

In my opinion, which might not be popular with some of the doomsayers, the Hoosiers win that game if he doesn't get ejected. Allen is probably a nice kid but there is a big difference in him and Mcfadden.

Call me salty, but I think there's a good chance IU blows Cincy out if he doesn't get ejected.  They couldn't do anything before he got ejected; after they immediately march down the field and score.  That's cause and effect if I've ever seen it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Just watched the Memphis punt return and wow that is crazy that they let it count.

That official is like a kid who knows the answer to a teacher's question and starts to raise his hand, then thinks "Wait, I don't want to have to speak in front of the class" so he lowers it. You can't be that passive as an official. That's just unbelievable. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

College football and college basketball are the two worst, but in my opinion officiating sucks in all sports. There are so many bad judgement calls and missed calls, and the replay booths some of theirs has me shaking my head at times.

This is why I wouldn't bet money on college sports. Combine that with 18-21 year old kids who tend to just be unpredictable and I'm just not one that would feel comfortable betting on them. I'm pretty risk adverse anyways but I'd stick to the professionals for that stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

And I DO NOT want to hear anything from the B1G in regards to this play. Just keep your mouth shut, no apologies are going to change that fact we played the last 2.5qs without our best player. 

Just be glad he wasn't kicked out of the first half of our next game if this happened in the second half.

They brought an official on GameDay to talk about how bad the targeting rule is, and they reviewed McFadden's targeting rule specifically as one example.

One of the hosts said something to the effect of, "But this isn't really forcible contact."

The official just said, "Well, it is" and quickly moved on.  That's how you know it's bs. 

I will give him credit though for calling the Auburn targeting "incorrect."

• Like 1

Another example,  tonight in the Oregon game.  

Arizona WR after the catch dives forward, Oregon DB launches, crown of the helmet to the side of the WR helmet. 

Called targeting on the field, 100% the play that created the rule.  Booth says no targeting.   Absolutely no real justification for the call last week on McFadden if that isn't targeting tonight. 

It's an embarrassing for NCAA officials.

8 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Another example,  tonight in the Oregon game.  

Arizona WR after the catch dives forward, Oregon DB launches, crown of the helmet to the side of the WR helmet. 

Called targeting on the field, 100% the play that created the rule.  Booth says no targeting.   Absolutely no real justification for the call last week on McFadden if that isn't targeting tonight. 

It's an embarrassing for NCAA officials.

Micah should request an audience with the NCAA head of officiating this offseason. And hopefully, said meeting would occur in a boxing ring. 

You wouldn’t even need a full mayonnaise jar to scrape up what would be left of that guy after about 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I did agree with the announcers tonight who said offensive players should get called for targeting if they lower their head

Which offensive players?

Targeting needs to go away and fundamental football needs to be brought back. 

There were equivalent penalties before this stupid amiguish rule. 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Which offensive players?

Targeting needs to go away and fundamental football needs to be brought back. 

There were equivalent penalties before this stupid amiguish rule. 

They weren't talking about our game but just in General.  A lot of times when the ball carriers go into the defender he lowers his head and make contact.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They weren't talking about our game but just in General.  A lot of times when the ball carriers go into the defender he lowers his head and make contact.

It's just part of the game in most situations.  Recievers are most vulnerable.  Anything that happens within 5 or so yards of the line of scrimmage is not intentional.

I played on offensive/defensive line from 3rd grade until I graduated high school. Banging heads us part of the game.

Only once, my senior year, did I experience what would constitute targeting on a kickoff return. 

Some asshole hit me with his head in my head from behind. I thought I was blind for a minute but my sight came back after a bit. 

One of my teammates told me the guys number. We were getting our ass kicked anyway so I finally got ahold of the dude and made him pay for it dearly. Yeah I got a penalty and the last thing he got was a thumb in the eye. Lol. Among other things. 

On 9/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, jojo123 said:

But It's Ohio State. Not Indiana. 

And that really is the long and short of it.  Within our own conference I believe we are still Indiana and BT officials, no matter if we are playing an in conference game or not, tend to dick us over because we are supposed to be bad.

Last year was the first time where I felt we got a fairer share of the close calls and look what we were able to do.  That being said, if the roles of IU and Ohio State were reversed last year but we had not played enough games because of COVID, do you think there is any way we play in the Big Ten Championship game ahead of Ohio State?  I don't.  And frankly, I was happy to see Ohio State get beat early this year, I am looking to see them get knocked down a few pegs now that other schools in this conference are going to be able to throw money at players.  As we saw against Cincinnati, a crucial call in a crucial point of the game can mean the difference between a win and a loss.  We are a program that rarely gets them and a team like Ohio State is one that rarely doesn't.

• Like 2