If you could live anywhere in the US

Leathernecks

Somewhere with a temperate climate.  Possibly Northern California or Oregon.  Don't like snow and cold.  Don't like heat and humidity.   Don't need to be near super big cities, but don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either.  I've never been there, but maybe the Sacramento, California area.  It's going to be all about weather with me.

16 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Where would it be, and why?

I'm changing career paths which will probably involve me moving in a couple years when I'm done with grad school (not many chemist jobs in rural Illinois). I'm interested in hearing where people have been that they thought would be fun to move to.

I've been very fortunate to basically had paid vacations for summer college jobs. I've been to 42 different continental states. 

Most of my life has been within 45 miles of my hometown and Bloomington.

That said, of all the places I've been,

My top 3, Montana, Wyoming, New Hampshire.

2nd place South Dakota, and Omaha Nebraska. Only because my company offered me a position with a relocation package to Omaha. Nope. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My company is hiring like crazy.  They are having a hard time finding qualified chemists. 

We are short on chemists in Bloomington, pretty much everywhere.

I've offered to train in chemistry to help them out.

Send me your resume if you want and I will help you. PM incoming.

From everything I've seen and heard you have a REALLY good employer. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Somewhere with a temperate climate.  Possibly Northern California or Oregon.  Don't like snow and cold.  Don't like heat and humidity.   Don't need to be near super big cities, but don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either.  I've never been there, but maybe the Sacramento, California area.  It's going to be all about weather with me.

That's an area I've always wanted to travel to. I'm definitely over Midwest weather, and wouldn't mind not going from 90 to 40 in 3 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

From everything I've seen and heard you have a REALLY good employer. 

A REALLY REALLY good employer.  

I honestly feel guilty in a way because I don't feel like I deserve this. I work 3 days a week 12 hrs Friday- Sunday and make almost 6 figures. 

I just try to give back and share some of my good fortune to the community.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, we are at the other end of the spectrum and considering where we want to retire to. Leaving on Wednesday for Western N Carolina and the mountains. 

Been there before and love the area

I'm likely to be on the other side of the mountains. I have spent a lot of time looking at where I will eventually retire. Want to get away from some of the cold which ruled out the Upper Midwest and West States. I want a low cost of living, property taxes and income taxes. Florida Texas and Arizona are getting too built up, crowded and expensive. So I bought a lot this summer in the Center Hill Lake area of Tennessee. In between Nashville and Knoxville / Chattanooga / the Smokies. A short drive to anywhere in the Middle Atlantic or Southeast so there will be plenty to do. Only drawback is humidity in the summer time but I figure I can escape much of that by getting on the lake or heading out west or north. If I can find something better somewhere else it should be easy to flip the lot so not a huge commitment but at least a toe out of the state of Illinois! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm changing career paths which will probably involve me moving in a couple years when I'm done with grad school (not many chemist jobs in rural Illinois). I'm interested in hearing where people have been that they thought would be fun to move to.

I'd look for the best combination of weather, activities, low cost of housing, income and property taxes. West coast has the weather and activities but not low costs and taxes. IN, TN, AL and SC rank favorably depending on what's important to you. 

• Like 1

This is my whacked out plan, should I ever hit the Powerball jackpot: 

- “Primary” residence of some broom closet in Texas or Florida for income tax purposes

- Residence 1: San Diego. Best damn weather in the country most of the year. 
-Residence 2: Atlantic coast of Maine. New England autumns are gorgeous, and I’ll need a place to get away when I’m sick of Californians. 🤣

- Residence 3: Town home in downtown Boston. Place to stay when I’m in town dealing with financial matters. 
- Residence 4: 20 acres in BFE, Midwest. For when I’m sick of dealing with everyone. 

Completely reasonable, I think. :coffee: 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

- “Primary” residence of some broom closet in Texas or Florida for income tax purposes

-Residence 2: Atlantic coast of Maine. New England autumns are gorgeous, and I’ll need a place to get away when I’m sick of Californians. 🤣

- Residence 3: Town home in downtown Boston. Place to stay when I’m in town dealing with financial matters. 
- Residence 4: 20 acres in BFE, Midwest. For when I’m sick of dealing with everyone. 

Very similar to me.  There's a difference in what I would do if I could afford multiple references instead of just one.  In the multiple scenario, one residence would be in Phoenix during Spring Training.  Definitely New England or Upstate New York in Autumn.  Beachfront property at some point in the year when there is little humidity, etc.

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Warsaw, Indiana....

• Like 2

After much thought in the last year, my wife and I are looking at places in The Hill Country here in Texas. I've got about 3 years til retirement (my choice...I can go any time) and it's beautiful country.

Southern California has the best weather, but between taxes, policies, and real estate prices, no way...

Why do you think 80,000 of them are moving here per year?

• Like 1

Well for me, it seems like Alabama. I will be closing on a house in North West Mobile within the month. I've had a plan for 15 years to have a place in the greater "Gulf Shores" area. The wife and hell daughter have helped be make the decision and they don't get the address :) .

It's a nice mix of 50 min to the beach, fixer upper/ "finisher" from a guy who passed that has completed all of the major items, decent area for it to also be an Air BnB right close to South Alabama campus and 20 minutes from a little grass strip airfield so I can buzz in and out as I dang well please.

For all of the "fun" stuff, I have another 10 years that I can travel to on my employers dime "working".   

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Except for residence #4, all places I haven't been. Now I'm hungry for lobster for some reason.