If you could live anywhere in the US

Leathernecks

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is my whacked out plan, should I ever hit the Powerball jackpot: 

- “Primary” residence of some broom closet in Texas or Florida for income tax purposes

- Residence 1: San Diego. Best damn weather in the country most of the year. 
-Residence 2: Atlantic coast of Maine. New England autumns are gorgeous, and I’ll need a place to get away when I’m sick of Californians. 🤣

- Residence 3: Town home in downtown Boston. Place to stay when I’m in town dealing with financial matters. 
- Residence 4: 20 acres in BFE, Midwest. For when I’m sick of dealing with everyone. 

Completely reasonable, I think. :coffee: 

I've got #4 covered.  5 acres in Vermillion County Illinois. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

You live in Hawaii?

I wish. I said I would live there if I could. I have it all planned out when I win the lottery. Live in Hanalei...a sleepy little beach town with surfing, snorkeling, access to a river that goes through a rainforest to kayak or SUP, tons of hiking trails, good restaurants and a short drive to other amazing beaches. The picture below doesn't do it justice but the mountain backdrop is bright green; so beautiful it almost doesn't seem real.

....And I'd have an avocado tree in my backyard. 

image.png.af6e16d1dcd8e6b5c370242ecee60de3.png

• Like 4

When I first started teaching I got a job and moved out to the coast of North Carolina (Morehead City area). It was super nice and plenty of outdoor activities to do. The heat and humidity during summer were similar to Indiana to me...but it wasn't too bad since we were right on the coast with the breezes etc. However, if you went inland about 30-45 minutes it felt considerably hotter. I lived there just over two years and it snowed maybe 3 times...once we got 5 inches of snow overnight, but it melted by the end of the next day. Typically, 1-2 wet snows a winter there...maybe 1-3 inches of total accumulation all season. Probably not a big demand for chemists there, but if you can tolerate the heat/humidity, Raleigh/Cary area was really nice, as was Charleston when we visited for almost a week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

However, if you went inland about 30-45 minutes it felt considerably hotter

In the 2 southern regions I lived in it was the same. In Destin it was tolerable because there was always a nice breeze to offset the heat and humidity. Go 25 miles inland to Crestview and it was like Death Valley Days. 

Splendora is pretty far inland so it's kinda still here. Galveston has a nice breeze but the water smells bad...

• Like 1

Honestly you will have the opportunity to likely live anywhere you want. I'm sure you could do anything from teach chemistry to work in the bio field and anything in between. I say find the highest paying job for a company you think you would like and be happy in. Your priorities will change several several times in your life. Access to things that you find important now (whether nightlife, travel/airports, hunting/fishing, weather etc. will continue to change) Now you may want to work and surf...or meet lots of people. Later it might be to settle down and raise a family. Just make a list of your priorities and then sit down and look for parts of the country that would satisfy most of them. Rack up and save as much cash as possible and look to retire early and then move to the most desirable recreational location then. I'd say the most leisurely places etc probably wouldn't be the most conclusive in finding the best job/career or meeting people or even raising a family etc. Heck you may want to stay close to family later. I know I had no desire to live in Florida until that happened. Just be honest with what you want in the next 5 years and find the most attractive job etc and go. You can always and will likely pick up and move several times. Don't sweat trying to have the perfect life all at once. Good luck! I wish I had finished with such a degree. You sound pretty intelligent so I'd say you will do just fine!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Where would it be, and why?

I'm changing career paths which will probably involve me moving in a couple years when I'm done with grad school (not many chemist jobs in rural Illinois). I'm interested in hearing where people have been that they thought would be fun to move to.

6 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I’m seriously considering converting my car into an RV, and living anywhere I feel like at the moment!

I think Walter White proved that the chemist gig and RV can be combined

image.png.da2e71a445dfa75139fe585c3b389f2f.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly you will have the opportunity to likely live anywhere you want. I'm sure you could do anything from teach chemistry to work in the bio field and anything in between. I say find the highest paying job for a company you think you would like and be happy in. Your priorities will change several several times in your life. Access to things that you find important now (whether nightlife, travel/airports, hunting/fishing, weather etc. will continue to change) Now you may want to work and surf...or meet lots of people. Later it might be to settle down and raise a family. Just make a list of your priorities and then sit down and look for parts of the country that would satisfy most of them. Rack up and save as much cash as possible and look to retire early and then move to the most desirable recreational location then. I'd say the most leisurely places etc probably wouldn't be the most conclusive in finding the best job/career or meeting people or even raising a family etc. Heck you may want to stay close to family later. I know I had no desire to live in Florida until that happened. Just be honest with what you want in the next 5 years and find the most attractive job etc and go. You can always and will likely pick up and move several times. Don't sweat trying to have the perfect life all at once. Good luck! I wish I had finished with such a degree. You sound pretty intelligent so I'd say you will do just fine!

Thankfully at 34 years old, I've had enough opportunity to find myself and what I'm looking for. I'm just kind of curious what people think of as a good or fun place to go.

After having taught for 8 years, one thing that was annoying was the lack of upward mobility. In teaching, the best and worst teachers still get paid the same and have the same opportunities. Really looking forward to having a chance to move to more desirable jobs if I want.

Also, having been a teacher, I feel like I'll be a much better student now than I ever used to be lol.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Thankfully at 34 years old, I've had enough opportunity to find myself and what I'm looking for. I'm just kind of curious what people think of as a good or fun place to go.

After having taught for 8 years, one thing that was annoying was the lack of upward mobility. In teaching, the best and worst teachers still get paid the same and have the same opportunities. Really looking forward to having a chance to move to more desirable jobs if I want.

Also, having been a teacher, I feel like I'll be a much better student now than I ever used to be lol.

This is why people should read more closely. I saw title and briefly read your OP and just assumed you were a younger graduating student. Totally forget my advice lol! Some holds true but if you already have a family or looking for one totally disregard most of it. (not even sure you do or want that) Again I'd probably make a list of what is important to you and where those places are and have jobs for you.

It seems a majority of places that pay well and have the most openings are on the East coast. Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts, New Jersey....not sure any of those are going to help tremendously with the weather. I've always heard San Diego is one of the most beautiful/wonderful weather places to live. Surely very expensive though. I live in SWFL...expensive and yes beautiful weather as well. One of the prettiest states I've spent time in would be South Carolina....very moderate climate with a wide variety of activities for people that like the outdoor. May be a little too "Southern" for some though. Depending on if you think you'd like a bigger place with better weather but still have people that make you feel like your in the midwest....Texas is a good option. Huge state with a wide degree of difference socially/economically/and politically lol. Had family there and loved Texas....plus taxes are nice. Good luck!!

Edited by dgambill

I’ve been happiest here in Brooklyn, but feel like I’ve outgrown our space and am really looking forward to moving upstate in NY or Vermont or Maine. 

Definitely want to be int he NE, b/c I like the proximity to NYC/DC/Philly. Also not a big fan of humidity and overly hot climates.

My wife surprised me with a beer trip to Vermont this summer and I REALLY clicked with the state. It may have just been the area we were in - near Burlington - but I really loved how people were into pimping out their front yards with amazing gardens and flower beds. It was much more pronounced than any other place I have visited. 

Another plus for Vermont - no billboards on roadsides. ZERO. They don’t allow them. That I can get behind. 

Our plan is to buy a summer home somewhere up north in the next 3-5 years and then transition to it full time once my wife retires. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I’ve been happiest here in Brooklyn, but feel like I’ve outgrown our space and am really looking forward to moving upstate in NY or Vermont or Maine. 

Definitely want to be int he NE, b/c I like the proximity to NYC/DC/Philly. Also not a big fan of humidity and overly hot climates.

My wife surprised me with a beer trip to Vermont this summer and I REALLY clicked with the state. It may have just been the area we were in - near Burlington - but I really loved how people were into pimping out their front yards with amazing gardens and flower beds. It was much more pronounced than any other place I have visited. 

Another plus for Vermont - no billboards on roadsides. ZERO. They don’t allow them. That I can get behind. 

Our plan is to buy a summer home somewhere up north in the next 3-5 years and then transition to it full time once my wife retires. 

I think I'd be fine with a small or average size city, but I don't know how people can manage in New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles. If I were in your shoes, I would have wanted out a long time ago lol. I have always wanted to do a trip to the northeast and go through Vermont. Too cold for me to want to live in, but seems like a really nice state.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I think I'd be fine with a small or average size city, but I don't know how people can manage in New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles. If I were in your shoes, I would have wanted out a long time ago lol. I have always wanted to do a trip to the northeast and go through Vermont. Too cold for me to want to live in, but seems like a really nice state.

The larger cities offer closer proximity to pretty much anything, so long as you’re within the urban hub. It’s entirely possible to live in Chicago or NYC without a car. A lot of “regional” cities can’t really say that. Some can, but they’re in the minority. 

14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I know a lot of people say that about NYC, but they are always surprised when they visit our place in Brooklyn. It feels like a series of interconnected neighborhoods that are walkable and jammed with small businesses. It’s nothing like the horrible, overcrowded tourist trap that is Manhattan. I always get in a bit of a surly mood when I have to go into Manhattan. And I never go to Midtown or Times Square area unless I’m going to a Broadway show. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 11:06 AM, Lostin76 said:

I know a lot of people say that about NYC, but they are always surprised when they visit our place in Brooklyn. It feels like a series of interconnected neighborhoods that are walkable and jammed with small businesses. It’s nothing like the horrible, overcrowded tourist trap that is Manhattan. I always get in a bit of a surly mood when I have to go into Manhattan. And I never go to Midtown or Times Square area unless I’m going to a Broadway show. 

I remember the last time I went to NY. We stayed in a motel on the Jersey side right on the water. All we had to do was walk outside and there was the skyline! Of course when we decided to walk to a restaurant 3 blocks away I had to have the “we’re not in Kansas “ talk with the two ladies in our work group that I doubt had ever been outside of Georgia before!

I told them “do not step down off the curb”, these people will HIT you!

We went 1 block and they both thanked me. 
I’m with you @Lostin76, when we left  the Apple we went to corporate in upstate NY near Lake George. Beautiful area!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I remember the last time I went to NY. We stayed in a motel on the Jersey side right on the water. All we had to do was walk outside and there was the skyline! Of course when we decided to walk to a restaurant 3 blocks away I had to have the “we’re not in Kansas “ talk with the two ladies in our work group that I doubt had ever been outside of Georgia before!

I told them “do not step down off the curb”, these people will HIT you!

We went 1 block and they both thanked me. 
I’m with you @Lostin76, when we left  the Apple we went to corporate in upstate NY near Lake George. Beautiful area!

Yep, I get that! After all I’m a small town kid from Southern Indiana. I hate all the people and crowds. Even the view is better from Brooklyn! 

48 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep, I get that! After all I’m a small town kid from Southern Indiana. I hate all the people and crowds. Even the view is better from Brooklyn! 

I had never really been to a big city before my first trip to Chicago.  Took about 10 minutes of walking around to figure out why people don't greet each other on the street. At first I thought they were rude. Then realized a person would wear themselves out being friendly to everyone. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 9:08 PM, Seeking6 said:

Lake Tahoe from after Indy 500 to Labor Day. Back in Indiana for the Fall and first hint of cool.....Naples/Marco/Sanibel from December to March back to Indiana for Spring until after race weekend. Rinse wash repeat. 

Both my wife and I had Columbus Day off so I took her for a drive over to Captiva...ate at our favorite restaurant over there the Mucky Duck for lunch....afterwards set out in the chairs overlooking the beach and had a nice drink. Perfect weather and not too crowded like during season. It was a beautiful day! Don't get many of those with a young child but she had school so momma and daddy got to reminisce about the good ol days lol!! I will say I miss my season's back up north but SWFL is hardly a bad place to be when you have a 3 day weekend.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I had never really been to a big city before my first trip to Chicago.  Took about 10 minutes of walking around to figure out why people don't greet each other on the street. At first I thought they were rude. Then realized a person would wear themselves out being friendly to everyone. 

That kind of makes sense. Living in Florida with so many "CITY" folk around from NY and Chicago especially you realize they are very friendly/nice people. We wave and chat a bit in the neighborhood....but it makes sense when you are caught up in the City why it could seem cold and indifferent compared to suburbia or rural Indiana.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Both my wife and I had Columbus Day off so I took her for a drive over to Captiva...ate at our favorite restaurant over there the Mucky Duck for lunch....afterwards set out in the chairs overlooking the beach and had a nice drink. Perfect weather and not too crowded like during season. It was a beautiful day! Don't get many of those with a young child but she had school so momma and daddy got to reminisce about the good ol days lol!! I will say I miss my season's back up north but SWFL is hardly a bad place to be when you have a 3 day weekend.

Been to the Mucky Duck many times, and have their tee shirt in my dresser.

Went one year in early December...could not get used to the decorated Christmas planted in the sand on the beach. Never could get used to palm trees with Christmas lights on them

• Like 1