If you could live anywhere in the US

Leathernecks

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Been to the Mucky Duck many times, and have their tee shirt in my dresser.

Went one year in early December...could not get used to the decorated Christmas planted in the sand on the beach. Never could get used to palm trees with Christmas lights on them

Love their fried clams and shrimp...gosh I could eat my weight in them lol. Yeah...putting out pumpkin in 90 degree weather or yes decorating a palm tree in Christmas lights just doesn't feel right.

PS....you have to be careful about decorating your outdoors come Christmas time.....you don't want to make this mistake lol...

lights.jpg

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Love their fried clams and shrimp...gosh I could eat my weight in them lol. Yeah...putting out pumpkin in 90 degree weather or yes decorating a palm tree in Christmas lights just doesn't feel right.

PS....you have to be careful about decorating your outdoors come Christmas time.....you don't want to make this mistake lol...

lights.jpg

That meme never gets old

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I had never really been to a big city before my first trip to Chicago.  Took about 10 minutes of walking around to figure out why people don't greet each other on the street. At first I thought they were rude. Then realized a person would wear themselves out being friendly to everyone. 

Ha, yep. There are just too many people. We barely make eye contact on the subway most times! Though I will say that it’s very different where I live, we all kind of know each other at least by sight and habits. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

"There goes that guy with all the plants on his balcony."

Exactly like that! It’s funny, my wife met a girl in the dog run a few months ago and realized that she lived right underneath us. The girl was like, “Oh, wow you guys have the tomatoes that sometimes fall onto my balcony. They are delicious!”

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s not like the NYPD to actually do anything these days, except park on the sidewalk and stand around in donut shops. Worthless, waste of tax dollars. 

I'd imagine it's much like the CPD where any proactive policing puts the officers career and even personal finances at stake. There was a high profile incident awhile back where the CPD Superintendent went on record saying the officer did the right thing following his training and guidelines but still gets prosecuted. I thank the police when I can for doing a rather thankless job in todays day and age that I doubt many signed up for (had no idea society was going to evolve this way when they started). Many cities that wanted to defund their police (including NYC I believe) have realized their mistake and actually increased funding. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'd imagine it's much like the CPD where any proactive policing puts the officers career and even personal finances at stake. There was a high profile incident awhile back where the CPD Superintendent went on record saying the officer did the right thing following his training and guidelines but still gets prosecuted. I thank the police when I can for doing a rather thankless job in todays day and age that I doubt many signed up for (had no idea society was going to evolve this way when they started). Many cities that wanted to defund their police (including NYC I believe) have realized their mistake and actually increased funding. 

The problem with the NYPD is that they have stopped doing many parts of their jobs after the city turned against their overzealous response to the 2020 marches. They have done this before, going on “unofficial strikes.” They think it’s cute and funny, but people actually die b/c of their “strikes.”

For instance, this year has been one of the deadliest years for pedestrians and bikers in recent memory. The NYPD has multiple times promised to crackdown on drivers, and yet…

Still, critics questioned how serious the city was about protecting people from drivers given the lower level of policing.

The police this year have issued 255,332 tickets for traffic violations through June, or less than half of the 540,059 tickets in the same period in 2019, according to police data. One category of violations that has been a focal point of the city’s traffic campaign — failing to yield the right of way to pedestrians — also fell by more than half to 14,980 from 32,383 during that period.

Pedestrians and bikers are bing killed at an alarming historical rate, and the NYPD has been largely absent during this. On the subways, people are doing whatever the hell they want - I’ve seen dozens of homeless people smoking on the subway ( not on the platform, on the the trains). Have also seen two people urinating on the platform and one person pleasuring himself at Union Square, just in the last week. No cops anywhere. 

They’ve also always had a tendency to park illegally, but now every police station has lines of cars blocking the sidewalk and bike lanes on each corner. I’ve watched people push strollers out into the road to get around the lines of personal cars belonging to police that block the sidewalk. Neighborhoods complain and absolutely nothing happens. 

It’s to the point where the city hates them and they hate the city. No one wants them here and they don’t want to be here. Yet, I still pay their salary in taxes. Cops need to live in the neighborhoods they are assigned to, not drive in from their houses on Long Island. 

Is it a tough, dangerous job? Yep, but living here can also be tough and dangerous. The rest of us pull our weight. They don’t. They hide in their stations and scowl at people. 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

The problem with the NYPD is that they have stopped doing many parts of their jobs after the city turned against their overzealous response to the 2020 marches. They have done this before, going on “unofficial strikes.” They think it’s cute and funny, but people actually die b/c of their “strikes.”

For instance, this year has been one of the deadliest years for pedestrians and bikers in recent memory. The NYPD has multiple times promised to crackdown on drivers, and yet…

Pedestrians and bikers are bing killed at an alarming historical rate, and the NYPD has been largely absent during this. On the subways, people are doing whatever the hell they want - I’ve seen dozens of homeless people smoking on the subway ( not on the platform, on the the trains). Have also seen two people urinating on the platform and one person pleasuring himself at Union Square, just in the last week. No cops anywhere. 

They’ve also always had a tendency to park illegally, but now every police station has lines of cars blocking the sidewalk and bike lanes on each corner. I’ve watched people push strollers out into the road to get around the lines of personal cars belonging to police that block the sidewalk. Neighborhoods complain and absolutely nothing happens. 

It’s to the point where the city hates them and they hate the city. No one wants them here and they don’t want to be here. Yet, I still pay their salary in taxes. Cops need to live in the neighborhoods they are assigned to, not drive in from their houses on Long Island. 

Is it a tough, dangerous job? Yep, but living here can also be tough and dangerous. The rest of us pull our weight. They don’t. They hide in their stations and scowl at people. 

So, @Lostin76, did you want me to send along info about how to start a grassroots movement toward a New York constitutional carry law?

😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Much of this has to be blamed on De Blasio.  He's literally the worst mayor ever.  Makes Mayor Humdinger seem competent.  I think Adams will right the ship somewhat.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, @Lostin76, did you want me to send along info about how to start a grassroots movement toward a New York constitutional carry law?

😉

Ha, not there yet. And honestly have never felt threatened by my neighbors. It’s mostly harmless, but annoying things. The traffic stuff is however a real problem and the NYPD has seemed to just walk away from it. 

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Much of this has to be blamed on De Blasio.  He's literally the worst mayor ever.  Makes Mayor Humdinger seem competent.  I think Adams will right the ship somewhat.

I agree, The WORST mayor. And it didn’t help that the NYPD hated him so much that they (again) decided to take it easy on their workload. Saying, “Oh, I hate the mayor, so I won’t actually do my job today,” isn’t that big of an issue when you are reshelving library books, but when you are still responsible for traffic violations, that can have a big impact. 

There are still people that live here and they would like the NYPD to arrest an a**hole with 20 active school zone speeding violations - but they don’t. Those a**holes just keep on driving and causing problems.  

I’m a huge proponent of taking away traffic enforcement from an NYPD that doesn’t want to do it and actively contributes to the problem. Give that oversight to the DOT and then tell the cops from Long Island that they have to find parking like the rest of us. They shouldn’t get to block sidewalks and bike lanes with their personal cars. 

There is now a concerted effort of people flooding 311 with complaints about personal cars of NYPD parked illegally. And shocker, the NYPD is harassing people who have submitted formal complaints. Absolute trash. 

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, not there yet. And honestly have never felt threatened by my neighbors. It’s mostly harmless, but annoying things. The traffic stuff is however a real problem and the NYPD has seemed to just walk away from it. 

I agree, The WORST mayor. And it didn’t help that the NYPD hated him so much that they (again) decided to take it easy on their workload. Saying, “Oh, I hate the mayor, so I won’t actually do my job today,” isn’t that big of an issue when you are reshelving library books, but when you are still responsible for traffic violations, that can have a big impact. 

There are still people that live here and they would like the NYPD to arrest an a**hole with 20 active school zone speeding violations - but they don’t. Those a**holes just keep on driving and causing problems.  

I’m a huge proponent of taking away traffic enforcement from an NYPD that doesn’t want to do it and actively contributes to the problem. Give that oversight to the DOT and then tell the cops from Long Island that they have to find parking like the rest of us. They shouldn’t get to block sidewalks and bike lanes with their personal cars. 

There is now a concerted effort of people flooding 311 with complaints about personal cars of NYPD parked illegally. And shocker, the NYPD is harassing people who have submitted formal complaints. Absolute trash. 

I just saw this a few minutes ago.  NYPD civilian traffic enforcers.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s not like the NYPD to actually do anything these days, except park on the sidewalk and stand around in donut shops. Worthless, waste of tax dollars. 

They’re busy with other matters

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2021/10/07/de-blasio-misused-nypd-security-detail-for-campaign-trips-children-probe-finds-1391749

When a mayor calls his police force “racist murderers”, but then requires them to move his daughter’s futon, drive his brother to pick up a rental car, etc. this is the police force you get. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

They’re busy with other matters

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2021/10/07/de-blasio-misused-nypd-security-detail-for-campaign-trips-children-probe-finds-1391749

When a mayor calls his police force “racist murderers”, but then requires them to move his daughter’s futon, drive his brother to pick up a rental car, etc. this is the police force you get. 

This is what saddens me. Why didn't they stand up to him and tell him to F@#k off.  I would feel disrespected, and kick him strait in the balls. 

Shit is out of control. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Well maybe NY should trade to get the Dodgers back...since the name originated because there were so many people in Brooklyn dying from being hit by cable cars and those that went to the games had to "dodge" traffic because it was so bad in NY. Besides, the Dodgers are the Yankees of the NL with how much they spend money on their payroll. Seems appropriate to swap names.

Sorry to hear about the state of the police. My coworker lived and worked in NY for over 20yrs and she loved the NYPD. Said they were the best/most friendly police she has ever encountered. Of course this should be prefaced by saying she also came from Russia originally and the police were not unlike the mafia. In fact she said when she lived in Italy that the mafia were better than the police at keeping crime down (well certain types). But anyways it's been about 15 years since she lived in NY so I'm sure much has changed.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Can we please keep this crap out of this thread? Not every thread has to turn in to a borderline political debate between the same handful of people. I was genuinely curious where people wanted to live, and want to keep it on that in case others would like to join. Thanks guys.

Sorry.....I hadn't gotten to your post when I responded. So....let's just say NY is probably not one of those places you want to live lol....😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Can we please keep this crap out of this thread? Not every thread has to turn in to a borderline political debate between the same handful of people. I was genuinely curious where people wanted to live, and want to keep it on that in case others would like to join. Thanks guys.

Sorry man.  

I would like to live on the Gulf of Florida or Alabama.  Or South Carolina coast.  As a tenured firefighter, gotta get about 14 more years before I can seriously consider going anywhere.  Realistically at least 17 years to get our Drop money.  18 to get the boys off to college.  Waiting on the housing market to drop at least 20% before we buy a vacation/investment property on the coast.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sorry man.  

I would like to live on the Gulf of Florida or Alabama.  Or South Carolina coast.  As a tenured firefighter, gotta get about 14 more years before I can seriously consider going anywhere.  Realistically at least 17 years to get our Drop money.  18 to get the boys off to college.  Waiting on the housing market to drop at least 20% before we buy a vacation/investment property on the coast.

Definitely prices are not dropping right now. Gosh prices are through the roof right now. Not sure it will ever become affordable for the avg person. Housing is going to be hard to find for the service industry people in the near future. We don't go out too much right now because there is huge shortages for servers/cooks etc. Last time I was out we had one server covering the whole outdoor patio which had about 12-14 tables...and I know a family that owns their own restaurant (very popular family restaurant) and the father, mother, and son are up to 3am every night washing dishes because they can't find help...then turn around and come in at 6 to prep for next day. They are exhausted and after over 25 years being open are thinking of closing if something doesn't change soon. 

Living in SWFL, I love it but I took my daughter to the local Harvest Festival (corn mazes, bouncy houses, games, food, farmers market, hey rides) but the heat index was over 100. I miss SW Indiana!! My hope is to find a hunting track of land to put in a cabin and spend my future free time up there...somewhere that has seasons lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Good luck.  Some folks just can't...or won't.