Penn State Pregame

50 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

One thing I miss about Wilson’s play calling is the hurry up offense. Im not saying that should be the case the entire game, but we need a little of that to keep teams guessing. I know I’m not the only one on here wishing we had a little of that. I mean, good grief,…..our defense was gassed. 

To be fair, WKU’s offense would gas 95% of D1 defenses. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

One thing I miss about Wilson’s play calling is the hurry up offense. Im not saying that should be the case the entire game, but we need a little of that to keep teams guessing. I know I’m not the only one on here wishing we had a little of that. I mean, good grief,…..our defense was gassed. 

I to wish we did some hurry up offense! I did enjoy Wilson offense his defense wasn’t so good! To be fair though sometimes we would score so quick or 3 an out so quick our own Defense would run out of gas! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

I don't miss the false start/illegal shift penalties we'd get as a result of everyone trying to move too fast. WKU got one last night when they tried to snap the ball before our defense was set and I laughed because that's what it reminded me of. 

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't miss the false start/illegal shift penalties we'd get as a result of everyone trying to move too fast. WKU got one last night when they tried to snap the ball before our defense was set and I laughed because that's what it reminded me of. 

That can be fixed with good coaching and buy in. I think CTA and Co. have earned that to some degree. The only thing that I am still a bit suspect on the Hiller and Sheridan to even be able to manage a hurry up…..

• Like 2

My concern is IU's history when playing in Happy Valley.  It seems there have been several years when IU had a team capable of giving PSU a good game (and frequently did for a half) but then crazy things started to happen.  Happy Valley has not been kind to IU and it is time for that to change.  Go Hoosiers !!!

• Like 1

Been kind of a whacky start in all of college football when you look at the "contenders" so to speak.  How good is Penn St.?  I dunno.  But their marquee wins appears to have come over overrated opponents.  Wisconsin and Auburn aren't lighting up the CFB landscape.  The Lions also took care of Ball St., who was supposed to be good but appear to be suffering mightily.  Maybe, just maybe we hang with the Joe Pa's?  

• Like 2

I worry about the trenches. Our OL hasn't been good. This has had a trickle effect to causing problems with Penix accuracy. Also Penix hasn't looked to run like last year. Not having a running qb threat in college is VERY VERY difficult at the P5 level. You better have wide receivers breaking wide open and laser accuracy if you are going to just be a pocket qb at this level or have great OL. We have neither. I hope we do some things to get him some quick easy crossers with an option over the top and do some things to move the pocket...rolling to the left maybe cut half the field so not only is the pass blocking somewhat easier but it should give Penix some easier reads/throws hopefully.

DL....we got to get a pass rush that isn't just blitzing our backers all the time. Geez. The secondary is good but man they have no protection from their front 7 when we aren't getting home. Play a good clean game...capitalize on any breaks...and hold our own up front (most difficult) and we should be able to be in it.

11 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

If we show up and play Penn St. can’t embarrass us! I think we are getting better! Concerned about how banged up we’re getting, but that’s the nature of this game! 

Hey!  I hope you're right.  But I feel certain that PSU is going to be looking for some payback for last season's loss to IU...in a big way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Hey!  I hope you're right.  But I feel certain that PSU is going to be looking for some payback for last season's loss to IU...in a big way.

I just don't see it happening.  I mean, I'm sure they're going to want to "get back" at us for having the temerity to beat them once, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Despite being the doorstep of the Big Ten for decades, we are no longer that team, and just because we had a debacle at Iowa doesn't mean we are destined to lose every game.  Seems like a lot of fans can't get past the past!

Penix is shaking off the rust, and WKU might be the most difficult offense we face the entire season (even if not statistically "best"). 

I just don't see PSU running us over because they are looking for revenge - the only team capable of that would be Alabam IMO.  Not saying it can't happen, but this IU team is still very good, just with possibly the most difficult schedule in our history.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Been kind of a whacky start in all of college football when you look at the "contenders" so to speak.  How good is Penn St.?  I dunno.  But their marquee wins appears to have come over overrated opponents.  Wisconsin and Auburn aren't lighting up the CFB landscape.  The Lions also took care of Ball St., who was supposed to be good but appear to be suffering mightily.  Maybe, just maybe we hang with the Joe Pa's?  

Oklahoma fans are going nuts because the Sooners have had 3 straight close games.

• Like 1