Penn State Pregame

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I just don't see it happening.  I mean, I'm sure they're going to want to "get back" at us for having the temerity to beat them once, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Despite being the doorstep of the Big Ten for decades, we are no longer that team, and just because we had a debacle at Iowa doesn't mean we are destined to lose every game.  Seems like a lot of fans can't get past the past!

Penix is shaking off the rust, and WKU might be the most difficult offense we face the entire season (even if not statistically "best"). 

I just don't see PSU running us over because they are looking for revenge - the only team capable of that would be Alabam IMO.  Not saying it can't happen, but this IU team is still very good, just with possibly the most difficult schedule in our history.

As I said earlier... I very much hope that you're right.  This season was always going to be tough.  Just not a glass half full guy when it comes to IU football.  Sorry.   

1 hour ago, rico said:

Gotta like that even on the opponent’s site’s transcript of Allen’s presser, they capture the “LEO” at the end. 

• Like 1

This game has me nervous and unsettled. If I'm Penn St. or any future opposing team,......I'm feeling pretty good because I've got plenty of film to focus on and exploit IU's subpar areas of play to date.

- The first and #1 thing I want to see going into Happy Valley Saturday night, is -  OL improvements/upgrade.......I hope to see meaningful and impactful improvements. For example, better, longer (on man) blocking for both Penix and the run game. You better believe State is gonna bring a lot of pressure to get Penix uncomfortable and out of the pocket. If this area of the game is not focused on and emphasized to the max,..........it could quickly lead to Tuttle behind center.

- The second thing I want to see is a mixture of some sort of hurry up or quick snap plays so the opposing defense is on it's heels and guessing.......

- The last thing I want to see more of is that constant, relentless and smothering defense that stops the run, the deep ball and pressures the QB. This all leads the ultimate goal.......turnovers and pick 6's.

Go IU!

• Like 1

I'm sure it's happened in the SEC but if Michigan and Sparty keep climbing the polls....has there been a team that would face 6 teams in top 15 when we play them in one season? Nothing to lose with this one. Don't gift them points or field position with turnovers or special teams mistakes and see what happens. We are a good football team playing a brutal schedule. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

If you play poorly, you will lose.. maybe bad. If you play well, maybe you're in it at the end. 

I'd sure like to find out. 

That's where I'm at with this game. I'm sooo looking forward to this prime time, Saturday night game on ABC. However,........when the game clock reads "00:00", most likely after 11 p.m., I pray that final score won't give me nightmares as I somehow try to go to sleep.

Not a fan of Coach Franklin's response to a question about expected effort....It just rubs me the wrong way....

Q. You mentioned after the game Saturday about wanting to see your team play with an edge. To you, what does that edge look like? When you say edge, what are you looking for?

A: I'm looking for fanatical effort, which I think we've done a pretty good job playing with effort. . And I'm looking for an amount of aggressiveness that is right up to the edge of what is legal and appropriate from the snap of the ball until the whistle is blown. So, nothing that's going to be viewed or looked at as dirty. Nothing that's going to create penalties after the snap. But when people watch us play, that they see a team that plays with tremendous effort and aggressiveness from the time the ball is snapped until the whistle is blown. I would even say to the echo of the whistle, which I used to say all the time.

Expect Penn St. to bring it...as expected. Penn St. players knowing where the ref's positioning and eyes are to create Cheap shots, etc., some how creeps into my mind. I know most, if not all teams do this to some degree. However,.... for coach to want effort/aggressive play to be as close to Illegal/against the rules, "without actually being illegal" is a bit unsettling to me. JMHO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Not a fan of Coach Franklin's response to a question about expected effort....It just rubs me the wrong way....

Q. You mentioned after the game Saturday about wanting to see your team play with an edge. To you, what does that edge look like? When you say edge, what are you looking for?

A: I'm looking for fanatical effort, which I think we've done a pretty good job playing with effort. . And I'm looking for an amount of aggressiveness that is right up to the edge of what is legal and appropriate from the snap of the ball until the whistle is blown. So, nothing that's going to be viewed or looked at as dirty. Nothing that's going to create penalties after the snap. But when people watch us play, that they see a team that plays with tremendous effort and aggressiveness from the time the ball is snapped until the whistle is blown. I would even say to the echo of the whistle, which I used to say all the time.

Expect Penn St. to bring it...as expected. Penn St. players knowing where the ref's positioning and eyes are to create Cheap shots, etc., some how creeps into my mind. I know most, if not all teams do this to some degree. However,.... for coach to want effort/aggressive play to be as close to Illegal/against the rules, "without actually being illegal" is a bit unsettling to me. JMHO.

We tell our kids the exact same thing he mentions here. You have to play like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

We tell our kids the exact same thing he mentions here. You have to play like that. 

Yea, I mean I’d like to think I’d be smart enough to word it differently or refrain from saying that at all publicly but I don’t disagree with the sentiment. If I’m CTA I’m printing that quote and providing it to the officials prior to the game to make sure those flags come out quick upon anything close to a transgression. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Yea, I mean I’d like to think I’d be smart enough to word it differently or refrain from saying that at all publicly but I don’t disagree with the sentiment. If I’m CTA I’m printing that quote and providing it to the officials prior to the game to make sure those flags come out quick upon anything close to a transgression. 

There you go......!!!! This is what I was trying to get at. 

13 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I find nothing surprising, nor wrong, with Franklin’s statement. He said to play the ENTIRE play as aggressively as possible without playing dirty or getting penalties. I would think that’s what every football coach wants.

I'm looking for an amount of aggressiveness that is right up to the edge of what is legal and appropriate from the snap of the ball until the whistle is blown.

Not to beat a dead horse here.....I get the aggressive, motivational take from coaches to players, I really do.  ....I feel it just could have been worded differently in the public eye. His word for word, comes off a bit of a head scratcher to me.  I too would hope, Hoosier82 posted earlier, that could become bulletin board material. JMHO.

I think the two biggest factors in this game are:

1) The hostile atmosphere

2) Whether the offense we saw against WKU shows up

If we can handle 1, and Penix has shaken off the rust and performs like he did last weekend, there's no reason we can't win this game, or at least have a decent shot.

Penn State is good, but I don't think they are quite as good as their ranking.

Penn State total offense is ranked 55.  WKU is 14, and Cincinnati is 50.  Iowa is 122 (Yikes - goes to show how much we beat ourselves in that game).

Penn State total defense is ranked 47.  Iowa is 13, and Cincinnati is 27.  

IU is 92 on offense and 57 on defense.

The point being is that, statistically speaking, we've already faced two better offenses and two better defenses than Penn State, AND we've played in a tougher environment already this year, though this one will probably be the second hardest of the year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Don’t cross the line. Go right up to it, get your toes on it, maybe take a peek over….but don’t cross it. Sounds like what every football coach I’ve ever met or had would say. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I see 1 of 2 possible outcomes for this one. IU hangs tough but PSU pulls away in the 4th or we get blown out of Happy Valley.  Unfortunately I have not seen enough yet to think we have a legit shot to win. Would I be shocked with an IU win, not at all I think the talent is good enough.

Great post S.

• Like 1