Penn State Pregame

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Intriguing news.  I’m especially curious about Williams and Holt-Bennett. We’ve got some well ranked young receivers.  It’s a super tough position to make the adjustment at this level but I’m excited to see these guys.  Green wasn’t mentioned but he’s another. 

Kinda surprised/discouraged that Jaquez Smith isn’t being mentioned, and to my knowledge, hasn’t been mentioned by CTA at all this season. He seemed power 5 football ready out of high school and I’m really hoping this isn’t Rashwan Williams all over again 

6 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Kinda surprised/discouraged that Jaquez Smith isn’t being mentioned, and to my knowledge, hasn’t been mentioned by CTA at all this season. He seemed power 5 football ready out of high school and I’m really hoping this isn’t Rashwan Williams all over again 

He won scout team off back award last week.  

• Thanks 1

As Allen noted, "Clifford remains a threat to run.  And IU knows that better than anyone.  He rushed for 119 yards and a score in 2020 against the Hoosiers, and 55 yards and two scores in 2019."  

After I read this today, it got me thinking.....  Last year's game, Clifford racked up way too many rushing yards from a QB against us, but we still pulled it out. That meant a couple of things the IU's defense was doing in order for him to have to run,....

1. IU's pass coverages were there most of the game....

2. IU's defense continued to pressure and push Clifford out of the pocket, forcing him to run as well as developing successful option plays.

Clifford hangs his hat on his passing prowess. If our secondary can manage the short and deep ball pass coverages and force Clifford to use his feet, are we better off? Pick your poison........

Since Penn State has struggled to run the ball, I like our chances against the run. I don't LOVE our chances, but I like them. If we can keep Clifford's arm at bay, and manage their run game, we may have a puncher's chance. 

17 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

As Allen noted, "Clifford remains a threat to run.  And IU knows that better than anyone.  He rushed for 119 yards and a score in 2020 against the Hoosiers, and 55 yards and two scores in 2019."  

After I read this today, it got me thinking.....  Last year's game, Clifford racked up way too many rushing yards from a QB against us, but we still pulled it out. That meant a couple of things the IU's defense was doing in order for him to have to run,....

1. IU's pass coverages were there most of the game....

2. IU's defense continued to pressure and push Clifford out of the pocket, forcing him to run as well as developing successful option plays.

Clifford hangs his hat on his passing prowess. If our secondary can manage the short and deep ball pass coverages and force Clifford to use his feet, are we better off? Pick your poison........

Since Penn State has struggled to run the ball, I like our chances against the run. I don't LOVE our chances, but I like them. If we can keep Clifford's arm at bay, and manage their run game, we may have a puncher's chance. 

Something about Penn State, they have a new offensive coordinator this year and Clifford is running less. Last year they had taken Minnesota's offensive coordinator and he was a disaster. He was only there one year, but for some reason they ran Clifford all of the time. 

PSU would be down in the second half with time running out and they'd still be running these stupid QB draws on like 3rd and 9's and stuff like that. PSU fans were so frustrated and apparently so was James Franklin because he fired the guy after one season. 

This offseason they hired Mike Yurcich after Tom Herman was fired from Texas. Yurcich is known as one of the top OC's in college football, and has coach Justin Fields at OSU, Mason Rudolph at Oklahoma State, and is known for working with QB's, etc.

I bring it up because, while the season is still young, Clifford's carries per game have gone from 11-2 per game to 7-8 per game. They're not doing the QB draws or RPO's where Clifford keeps the ball as much. 

I sure as h*\\ didn’t like getting beat 34-6 @ Iowa with Penix’s 3 picks, our 1st game……but man, they look legit. They beat a pretty good Maryland team on the road last night, 54-14. Iowa’s defense intercepted the Terps starting qb 5 times,  another with their back up qb, and a fumble for a total of 7 turnovers….wow. 

Exciting night! I'm going to be doing some East Coast work (assuming I don’t screw it up 🤣) for our favorite Hoosier reporter, @The Daily Hoosier!

I'll be sending him updates, pics and post-game press conference video, etc., when IU plays at PSU, Maryland and Rutgers in football and basketball. 

Tonight I'm in Happy Valley! I'll try and post some things here, but definitely follow THD's Twitter and of course his site for post-game footage (again, assuming i don't screw it up).  

• Like 3

I hate Penn State. I hate the whole state of Pennsylvania. Their Governor literally petitioned for their wins to be restored after the child rape incident. They are scum. They, as a university (President, AD, and HC) allowed little boys to be raped and said football was more important. 

I hate that university with every ounce of my body. I hope we can pull off the upset tonight... may Joe Pa rot in h***. 

See ya tomorrow fellas 

• Like 3