Who watches Breaking Away on the regular?

Lostin76

Breaking Away has long been one of my favorite movies for obvious reasons, but i hadn’t seen it in about a dozen years (more on that in a bit).

After our recent trip to Italy, I was kind of fixated on buying a Vespa to get around here in Brooklyn, but it just seemed like a lot of hassle to park it outside and insure it. So, I ordered a vintage Colnago road bike (1977 Colnago Mexico) with all Italian gears, brakes, and parts. Had it shipped here in pieces and have been assembling it on our dining room table. It’s literally the dream bike from my teenage years when all i could afford was a Huffy bike from Western Auto. 

So, yesterday I watched Breaking Away again, because I remembered Dave being obsessed with Italy. The movie still just really nailed that time and place so perfectly. It doesn’t hurt that I always miss Bloomington in some small part. I really clicked with Dave, who was obsessed with all things Italian and had to have his Italian bike tuned perfectly at all times. 

It’s just a great, feel good movie of the little guys winning in the end. And I loved seeing the storefront of Williams Jewelry where i bought my wife’s engagement ring when we were in Bloomington. 

The previous time I saw Breaking Away was actually here in NYC in Bryant Park. It’s a big park in Midtown Manhattan and each summer they have weekly outdoor movies on a huge screen in the park. People get there early and spread out blanket and it’s a huge party. Like a big deal. At the end of the movie the cheers and shouting were just incredible, never hear anything like it. And I, a fairly recent IU Bloomington graduate, had tears in my eyes when the school song was blaring. 

I realized I need to watch this movie more often. 

• Like 3

On 10/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, cthomas said:

Haven't seen it in a long time, but going to have watch it soon now. I always loved seeing IU, Bloomington, and the surrounding countryside. Been travelling those same streets and roads for over fifty years.

That’s one of the reasons I love it so much. Bloomington itself is one of the main characters in the movie.

• Like 1