Penn State Game Thread

KDB

Just now, btownqb said:

Woah woah woah 

That offensive set was called by the HC

Yeah, the decision to not attack in that situation is the HC. Probably thought, as coaches often do in that situation, run on first to keep the clock going and if you get a big gain then push hard, if you don't then you sit on it. But, it's the HC's situational call. 

• Like 1

Ok. Only 14 down. If Penn St is top 5 they should be up far more. Regroup. Figure out where the holes are (I think over the middle just past linebackers with Peyton). Hats off to Defense. Down an All American and doing their part. Just like they did vs Iowa, Cincy, and tonight so far...

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, the decision to not attack in that situation is the HC. Probably thought, as coaches often do in that situation, run on first to keep the clock going and if you get a big gain then push hard, if you don't then you sit on it. But, it's the HC's situational call. 

Absolutely 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Woah woah woah 

That offensive set was called by the HC

Agree….that said the offense is coached up by the OC. Even if he isn’t doing a bad job with play calling he isn’t coaching these guys up during the summer/week to execute. I know kids have to perform but they also should be getting better not worse from year to year. This keeps up all year and someone will have to answer for their poor play. There is more to coaching then just play calling…and given how poorly these guys execute it tells me we are having issues in practice too.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok. Only 14 down. If Penn St is top 5 they should be up far more. Regroup. Figure out where the holes are (I think over the middle just past linebackers with Peyton). Hats off to Defense. Down an All American and doing their part. Just like they did vs Iowa, Cincy, and tonight so far...

I feel the defense is going to have to do some special things in the second half and carry the offense if we have any chance of winning.

Just now, dgambill said:

Agree….that said the offense is coached up by the OC. Even if he isn’t doing a bad job with play calling he isn’t coaching these guys up during the summer/week to execute. I know kids have to perform but they also should be getting better not worse from year to year. This keeps up all year and someone will have to answer for their poor play. There is more to coaching then just play calling…and given how poorly these guys execute it tells me we are having issues in practice too.

Agree. I specifically talking about our last 3 plays of the half. Only thing I was talking about at that point. 

There's wayyyyy more to our problems than our play calling on Saturdays. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leathernecks said:

And I think it's maddening you call put anybody who questions play calling. Like I said, agree to disagree.

But you never offer anything outside of whining about it. Sheridan is the scape goat, I get it. 

What play should we have ran and why? What shifts/personnel/actions/motions would you have ran on 4th down to convert? If you don't have that dialed up... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Would you believe me id I told you we were on pace for more Rush Yards, more Pass Yards, more Total Yards, and fewer penalty yards than we had last year when scoring 36 points against Penn State in overtime?

Well, all of the above is true.  Maybe, just maybe, we focus on a single thing (Final Score) and make assumptions that things are much worse than what we remember, when, in reality, they are not.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Agree. I specifically talking about our last 3 plays of the half. Only thing I was talking about at that point. 

There's wayyyyy more to our problems than our play calling on Saturdays. 

I don’t think it matters what play is called if the OL can’t even play at a MAC level. If you don’t block and you don’t get open no play call works

• Like 1