Penn State Game Thread

KDB

Just now, btownqb said:

But you never offer anything outside of whining about it. Sheridan is the scape goat, I get it. 

What play should we have ran and why? What shifts/personnel/actions/motions would you have ran on 4th down to convert? If you don't have that dialed up... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I really haven't posted much tonight, and didn't comment at all about the 4th down play. So not really sure how I'm whining.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Would you believe me id I told you we were on pace for more Rush Yards, more Pass Yards, more Total Yards, and fewer penalty yards than we had last year when scoring 36 points against Penn State in overtime?

Well, all of the above is true.  Maybe, just maybe, we focus on a single thing (Final Score) and make assumptions that things are much worse than what we remember, when, in reality, they are not.   

5fls... you are exactly right. We view these games in a vacuum. 

Exactly why we played conservative there. 

Idk.. grab a stop here and see what happens. 

• Like 1

It’s ironic that we endured years of being able to score against nearly anyone we faced but were unable to stop anyone. 3rd and long was virtually a sure thing first down for opponents. Things have flipped as we now have a decent defense but the offense is putrid. The offense is worse than I thought possible this year (QB, OL and receivers).

In spite of that I am feeling a little better about some of the upcoming games.  The alleged big improvement of Rutgers, MD and PU has been exposed when they have played better teams while we, on the other hand, are not as good as hoped but we have played the number 4,5,7 teams in the country. We are not great, to say the least, but can still get 6 W’s and a bowl. 

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I really haven't posted much tonight, and didn't comment at all about the 4th down play. So not really sure how I'm whining.

In general. The constant play calling complaints ... just.. ugh no. They aren't the problem, generally. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's just easy to say "play calling" ... yet when Penix throws a pick... crickets. Its maddening you guys blame the play calling for everythingggggggg. 

Multiple people mentioned frustration that he threw a poor pass off his back foot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

It’s ironic that we endured years of being able to score against nearly anyone we faced but were unable to stop anyone. 3rd and long was virtually a sure thing first down for opponents. Things have flipped as we now have a decent defense but the offense is putrid. The offense is worse than I thought possible this year (QB, OL and receivers).

In spite of that I am feeling a little better about some of the upcoming games.  The alleged big improvement of Rutgers, MD and PU has been exposed when they have played better teams while we, on the other hand, are not as good as hoped but we have played the number 4,5,7 teams in the country. We are not great, to say the least, but can still get 6 W’s and a bowl. 

Unfortunately, we have zero margin for error this year. After this weekend, we'll have 6 top 15 teams on the schedule, and 5 of them will likely be top 10. If it isn't the hardest schedule in the country, I'd like to see what is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree. I specifically talking about our last 3 plays of the half. Only thing I was talking about at that point. 

There's wayyyyy more to our problems than our play calling on Saturdays. 

Yep. OL is a huge problem with an immobile qb. But man…got a 4th year qb making freshman mistakes, a senior TE and an all B1G supposedly WR dropping passes. Our only RB with any juice puts the ball on the ground too much…our playmakers have either read way too many press clippings this offseason or we let our success went to their head but I’m just flabbergasted that this is what we have put on the field this year. Defense has been lights out but something has to give with the O.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Yep. OL is a huge problem with an immobile qb. But man…got a 4th year qb making freshman mistakes, a senior TE and an all B1G supposedly WR dropping passes. Our only RB with any juice puts the ball on the ground too much…our playmakers have either read way too many press clippings this offseason or we let our success went to their head but I’m just flabbergasted that this is what we have put on the field this year. Defense has been lights out but something has to give with the O.

I know a struggling QB can make it tough for others on the offense, but almost all 11 guys on offense are playing worse this year than last year. Hendershot is definitely better, but I'm struggling to find anybody else.

• Like 1