Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

As bad as it seems for IU football right now, and they definitely should have been more competitive against Iowa and PSU, the reality is they're 2-3 with losses to most likely the current 3rd, 4th and 5th ranked teams in the country. 2 of those on the road. 

The problem for me is that in the road games they got destroyed and we're never in either game. 6 points in one of them and shut out in the other. In the 3rd game at home, they found a way to lose. These are familiar things to IU fans.

I agree that it's not surprising the record is 2-3 but how those games actually played out is the disappointing part. Let's not forget that they also barely beat WKU.

This just seems closer to a typical IU football team than than the improved team fans hoping for. 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The start of the season has probably ended any chance of getting Caden Curry.  I just hope some of the other top recruits don't start looking elsewhere.

Why do you constantly bring this up? About Curry.. I think you mentioned it 3 or 4 times here recently. Do you not want us to recruit him? 

Also.. fwiw... theres poor teams all the time that turn in good recruiting classes. UNC did it when Mack Brown got there, lots of teams have had bad seasons/performed not so well and still recruited well. 

Heck.. Crean did it. 

I haven't mentioned this because it's 3rd/4th person.. but there are absolutely "some" rumors that have said Curry is going to IU. Like sources from CG area. Not going to go into any more details than that, but Caden Currys recruitment to Indiana did not hinge on the overall success of Indiana's 2021 season. I do hope you know that. 

I still don't think he comes here, but these games are a drop in the bucket for Currys decision, mostly. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love HCTA, but to a fault he has stayed loyal to Penix when it’s clear that he is not the same player as pre-injury last year. Not sure we would have won any of the games we’ve lost this year but we at least would have shown more offensively.

Whether Penix is done for the season or not, I think it’s time to move on. Start Tuttle but also give the freshman from Indy a chance so we can see how he has developed so far

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Love HCTA, but to a fault he has stayed loyal to Penix when it’s clear that he is not the same player as pre-injury last year. Not sure we would have won any of the games we’ve lost this year but we at least would have shown more offensively.

Whether Penix is done for the season or not, I think it’s time to move on. Start Tuttle but also give the freshman from Indy a chance so we can see how he has developed so far

I agree

I thought the offense looked like it had more pep to it when Tuttle came in.  Looked like there was more energy and fire.  He seemed to throw with more decisiveness.  But then he threw that one inexplicable pick.  Confounding.  I will say, these guys make too many mechanical errors that shouldn’t be happening.  QB bailing and throwing off his back foot where the ball just flails.  We can’t have that, not at this level.  

The offensive line is struggling.  With the line, it’s tough because you want them to develop as a unit so you may not want to tinker too much.  The players together form a unit and you want the unit to be clicking as the sum of its parts.  Having said that, Jones is struggling.  He looks like he’s regressed.  Honestly, Bedford would be a better tackle than what we are seeing from Jones.  You could start Bedford and potentially bring a guy like Carpenter in on the inside.  I don’t know how young guys like Benson and Sales are looking in practice.  I wouldn’t be against a shakeup and get a couple of younger guys in there to get them developed.  It’s not like we have much to lose when you aren’t getting enough anyway.  After the season, you can evaluate the whole situation, top down.   

The receivers don’t get a pass either, no pun intended.  They just aren’t separating or even consistently catching the ball. Getting nothing in traffic either.  Hendershot was awesome, at least.  

On defense, McFadden was unbelievable.  Again.  Cam Jones too.  Some tough injuries at corner but our secondary overall is really, really good.  Great athletes and those safeties/huskies will absolutely pop you.  It’s like they compete to see who can bring the hammer the hardest. 

I don’t know what happened on the missed kick.  He hit it really low.

Just to vent because it had nothing to do with the outcome, but I’m sick of the lack of respect IU gets from officials.  There was an incredible helmet to helmet on Bjornson that the refs ignored.   It was worthy of a penalty and the kid should have been suspended next week.  It was with total intent and totally outside of the rules.  You compare that with what happened to McFadden’s inadvertent hit, and it’s totally ridiculous how IU gets no respect.  There was at least another helmet to helmet that wasn’t called.  Meanwhile they called Handy for a penalty because his feet were behind the line but his helmet peered one millimeter over the line, i.e., something you see in every football game you will ever watch. Of course, that extended the drive.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought the offense looked like it had more pep to it when Tuttle came in.  Looked like there was more energy and fire.  He seemed to throw with more decisiveness.  But then he threw that one inexplicable pick.  Confounding.  I will say, these guys make too many mechanical errors that shouldn’t be happening.  QB bailing and throwing off his back foot where the ball just flails.  We can’t have that, not at this level.  

The offensive line is struggling.  With the line, it’s tough because you want them to develop as a unit so you may not want to tinker too much.  The players together form a unit and you want the unit to be clicking as the sum of its parts.  Having said that, Jones is struggling.  He looks like he’s regressed.  Honestly, Bedford would be a better tackle than what we are seeing from Jones.  You could start Bedford and potentially bring a guy like Carpenter in on the inside.  I don’t know how young guys like Benson and Sales are looking in practice.  I wouldn’t be against a shakeup and get a couple of younger guys in there to get them developed.  It’s not like we have much to lose when you aren’t getting enough anyway.  After the season, you can evaluate the whole situation, top down.   

The receivers don’t get a pass either, no pun intended.  They just aren’t separating or even consistently catching the ball. Getting nothing in traffic either.  Hendershot was awesome, at least.  

On defense, McFadden was unbelievable.  Again.  Cam Jones too.  Some tough injuries at corner but our secondary overall is really, really good.  Great athletes and those safeties/huskies will absolutely pop you.  It’s like they compete to see who can bring the hammer the hardest. 

I don’t know what happened on the missed kick.  He hit it really low.

Just to vent because it had nothing to do with the outcome, but I’m sick of the lack of respect IU gets from officials.  There was an incredible helmet to helmet on Bjornson that the refs ignored.   It was worthy of a penalty and the kid should have been suspended next week.  It was with total intent and totally outside of the rules.  You compare that with what happened to McFadden’s inadvertent hit, and it’s totally ridiculous how IU gets no respect.  There was at least another helmet to helmet that wasn’t called.  Meanwhile they called Handy for a penalty because his feet were behind the line but his helmet peered one millimeter over the line, i.e., something you see in every football game you will ever watch. Of course, that extended the drive.  

I can tell you what happened on the kick.. the whole left side of the line caved in. Disastrously caved in. 

• Thanks 1

I’m just upset key guys have regressed this year on offense. We desperately need a dual threat qb. I mean real threat to run not just token last resort. When you have a qb like that defense has to be much more disciplined in their rush and can’t just come flying in blitzing etc or will open up big running lanes. Our ol just looks inept and out matched. Defense has been good to great. I’m not sure we were all as good as our record last year…certainly Penn st , Michigan, MSU were all down last year. All seemed to have rebounded this year. Wisconsin continues their struggles. Not sure we are as bad as our record this year either. We really need to find some things we do well and really focus in our offense and try to win some 17-14 games. And for the love take any points we can get….they will come at a premium this year.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Can't you say that about Maryland and Rutgers since they will play pretty much the same schedule.

Maryland doesn't play Cincinnati, and Rutgers doesn't play Cincinnati or Iowa.

I mostly meant that it was like the football being pulled out just as Charlie Brown goes to kick it. Set up for a great year, and a brutal schedule, key injuries, and pathetic OL play could derail the season. Still a long ways to go, but definitely an uphill battle.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Maryland doesn't play Cincinnati, and Rutgers doesn't play Cincinnati or Iowa.

I mostly meant that it was like the football being pulled out just as Charlie Brown goes to kick it. Set up for a great year, and a brutal schedule, key injuries, and pathetic OL play could derail the season. Still a long ways to go, but definitely an uphill battle.

That was our choice to play UC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

I'm no football coach, but if your offensive line is struggling like ours, why is the only 4th and 1 play in the playbook a run up the middle?

Good question!  Watching some games this weekend, it amazes me that tradition top 10 programs have more tricks in their bags than IU does.  Heard an argument from someone once that you have to play as if you are top tier- a reason not to pull tricks out of the bag.  Then, I see the Alabama's of the world pulling out plays that is to trickery for IU.  

We have an offense that is struggling and the name of the game is to win.  Open the playbook, get the ball into playmakers hands where they can do some work.  

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Good question!  Watching some games this weekend, it amazes me that tradition top 10 programs have more tricks in their bags than IU does.  Heard an argument from someone once that you have to play as if you are top tier- a reason not to pull tricks out of the bag.  Then, I see the Alabama's of the world pulling out plays that is to trickery for IU.  

We have an offense that is struggling and the name of the game is to win.  Open the playbook, get the ball into playmakers hands where they can do some work.  

I think that's going to be easier with Tuttle. We might have to have a package for McCulley too. 

• Like 1

That we can't run with good running backs says something about the OL, but we've played v. 3 very good defensive teams.  But Penix was able to overcome that last year by throwing quickly,  He hasn't been able to do so effectively this year.

The comment about wasting a season on a great defense was accurate.

Now for the easy part of our schedule:  3 of next 4 are #7, #9, and #11!

Still I think there is hope for this team.  Fortunately I think CTA is one of the few coaches who can keep this team together.

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

McCulley is a wild card.  Very talented, and the future.  Always concerned with a frosh qb and a line that has trouble with protection.  

Just a package. It's been done before with FR Qs. Justin Fields, many others had one. 

It's another element for the D to account for. Make it simple for him. 

• Like 1