MSU Pre-Game Thread

• btownqb changed the title to MSU Pre-Game Thread

Mostly lurk during FB season simply because we have never been any good.  However. after last years performance, I drank the Koolaid and had what now appears t be inflated expectations for IUFB.  I' m still completely on the CTA train but this years performance is very disappointing thus far.  Unfortunately, I don't see any fix in the near future.

1.  Penix has exceptional physical ability but I'm concerned his injuries have stunted his development and he is not mentally the best QB for IU right now.

2.  Tuttle may be the better QB but he alone is not the solution.  

3.  I lay this years poor play at the feet of the O Line.  They simply are underperforming.  Whether due to lack of coaching or ability doesn't matter.  They are poor as a group and I see no near term solution.  My opinion is they simply aren't BIG level players even though they did better last year under different OC--the competition was not at the level they've had to face this year and thus they've been exposed.

4.  No complaints about D 

5.  ST have also been subpar this year even with the emphasis CTA has placed not them. 

I remain hopeful for a bowl bid but right now I'm not optimistic 😞

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Mostly lurk during FB season simply because we have never been any good.  However. after last years performance, I drank the Koolaid and had what now appears t be inflated expectations for IUFB.  I' m still completely on the CTA train but this years performance is very disappointing thus far.  Unfortunately, I don't see any fix in the near future.

1.  Penix has exceptional physical ability but I'm concerned his injuries have stunted his development and he is not mentally the best QB for IU right now.

2.  Tuttle may be the better QB but he alone is not the solution.  

3.  I lay this years poor play at the feet of the O Line.  They simply are underperforming.  Whether due to lack of coaching or ability doesn't matter.  They are poor as a group and I see no near term solution.  My opinion is they simply aren't BIG level players even though they did better last year under different OC--the competition was not at the level they've had to face this year and thus they've been exposed.

4.  No complaints about D 

5.  ST have also been subpar this year even with the emphasis CTA has placed not them. 

I remain hopeful for a bowl bid but right now I'm not optimistic 😞

They had the same OC last year

I agree this OLine has been very disappointing, Penix hasn’t been himself all year, an now I assume is out for the season again. So time for Tuttle to step up an take over. Also time for Ty Fryfogle to come to the game! He has really been off this year also. I feel he isn’t putting in the same effort as last year! 

50 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Just looked at the AP poll after yesterday’s games.  MSU is up to 11th in the nation. Based on today’s AP rankings IU is playing 6 of the top 11 teams in the country!! 6 of the top 11!  I wonder how often that has happened. Just crazy.

If our next game is interrupted by frogs falling from the sky, we’ll know that IU football truly is forsaken by God and that it’s time to officially give up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Just looked at the AP poll after yesterday’s games.  MSU is up to 11th in the nation. Based on today’s AP rankings IU is playing 6 of the top 11 teams in the country!! 6 of the top 11!  I wonder how often that has happened. Just crazy.

Once again it is time to get the B1G realignment buzz going.  

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

If our next game is interrupted by frogs falling from the sky, we’ll know that IU football truly is forsaken by God and that it’s time to officially give up. 

This made me think of the classic 'WKRP in Cincinnati' Thanksgiving episode.  For my money, the funniest half hour of television ever.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

That OL will do that to a lot of QBs. 

That plays a factor for sure but also Penix inability to move outside the pocket and extend plays with his legs or run some is a killer. He is a sitting duck back there. If your O line isn’t good you at least want someone back there that is mobile. How many times did Clifford hurt us with his legs running/extending plays. You have to be able to do that in college football! The days of solely being a pocket passer are pretty well gone if you want to win at a high level 

unless your Alabama and you have the line full of 5 stars to protect the QB

Edited by 5 championships

Was read an article the said Tom Allen wanted a report an analysis from each asst coach trying to figure out how to make the team better. He was really wanting to hear from the offense. 
Here my take, first I think Tuttle is going to help right away. 2. Look at the offensive line. We have got to get some push an open up some holes. Then look at our OC ask him what has he been doing. What are we doing when we get in the red zone! 
I hope they find something! That can be fixed now! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Was read an article the said Tom Allen wanted a report an analysis from each asst coach trying to figure out how to make the team better. He was really wanting to hear from the offense. 
Here my take, first I think Tuttle is going to help right away. 2. Look at the offensive line. We have got to get some push an open up some holes. Then look at our OC ask him what has he been doing. What are we doing when we get in the red zone! 
I hope they find something! That can be fixed now! 

Here's that article for others. Good read. I like the idea of having the coordinators self examine their coaching over the bye week. I have no doubt Allen will be critical of their evaluations, and expects them to analyze themselves well.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Whole lotta change gotta happen. Output has been awful. Everyone is responsible. 

What changes would you like to see from the offense.  I would start Tuttle the test of the year even if Penix comes back healthy.  Also I would like to see so.e of the you g WR's get some game action.  There had to be some younger OL that should get a look.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What changes would you like to see from the offense.  I would start Tuttle the test of the year even if Penix comes back healthy.  Also I would like to see so.e of the you g WR's get some game action.  There had to be some younger OL that should get a look.

All of that's fine, if they're close or better in practice. Only one WR was here in the spring, Williams.  

You can't say.. play this guy automatically or whatever if there isn't a close to better option than what we've been going with. Losing Mathews hurt.  

We might need a 6-7 play wildcat formation.. maybe McCulley QBs that. Really dk.. but there's gotta be wholesale changes. Everything. We're awful offensively right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1