MSU Pre-Game Thread

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

All of that's fine, if they're close or better in practice. Only one WR was here in the spring, Williams.  

You can't say.. play this guy automatically or whatever if there isn't a close to better option than what we've been going with. Losing Mathews hurt.  

We might need a 6-7 play wildcat formation.. maybe McCulley QBs that. Really dk.. but there's gotta be wholesale changes. Everything. We're awful offensively right now. 

If we're going to see something different like a wildcat package, you'd have to think MSU would be the game to do it. A huge game with 2 weeks to prepare. Gotta pull out all the stops to get this win.

• Like 1

I am not a coach, that being said I would think those assistants coaches want to protect their big salaries. So I am hoping they are playing the best players to give us a chance to win. 
In my mind I appreciate them giving Penix a chance to find himself, just feel with fall practice and a few games you could see he was off. 
I’ve lost faith in OC an the OL coach. The running back coach is new and he should get more time to show he can right the running backs. 
I’ve not like our OL coach can’t remember the last time we had a great line. Time to look elsewhere for that job this off season. 
OC I would say these last games will sign his fate at IU. It’s hard to say was the OLine limiting his play calling. Was Penix that bad making wrong reads very inaccurate. The bottom line it’s his call to get this fixed! Should have been fixed in fall practice. 

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Whole lotta change gotta happen. Output has been awful. Everyone is responsible. 

Hey...I was wondering because I'm not an expert when it comes to football (even if I'd like to think I know quite a bit) but you have much more experience...why do you think IU never tried moving the pocket with Penix?? Getting him outside the pocket/rolling out. With how poorly the OL was blocking one would think it would make their job easier as they could give ground up the field some and could roll protection somewhat to which ever side he was moving to. Not saying every throw but just in general more. Is it because our tackles are so bad they couldn't anchor the side he would roll too? Maybe I'm just not that knowledgable as maybe moving the pocket is a bad idea when you have an OL that is having trouble blocking but I didn't think that was the case. Also since Penix was also having trouble reading/surveying the field when you cut it in half and have crossers at different levels but mostly all going to one side you would think he could read "levels/depths" easier and faster then the total width of the field. So anyways just wondered your thoughts on this...or anyone who maybe has coached and can give their perspective. Maybe it's a totally bad idea but to every game we have lost I just felt like we couldn't protect/get comfortable in the pocket and it killed any hope in our offense finding itself.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Hey...I was wondering because I'm not an expert when it comes to football (even if I'd like to think I know quite a bit) but you have much more experience...why do you think IU never tried moving the pocket with Penix?? Getting him outside the pocket/rolling out. With how poorly the OL was blocking one would think it would make their job easier as they could give ground up the field some and could roll protection somewhat to which ever side he was moving to. Not saying every throw but just in general more. Is it because our tackles are so bad they couldn't anchor the side he would roll too? Maybe I'm just not that knowledgable as maybe moving the pocket is a bad idea when you have an OL that is having trouble blocking but I didn't think that was the case. Also since Penix was also having trouble reading/surveying the field when you cut it in half and have crossers at different levels but mostly all going to one side you would think he could read "levels/depths" then the total width of the field. So anyways just wondered your thoughts on this...or anyone who maybe has coached and can give their perspective. Maybe it's a totally bad idea but to every game we have lost I just felt like we couldn't protect/get comfortable in the pocket and it killed any hope in our offense finding itself.

I mean there isn't one particular thing we could have done and THEN we would have moved the ball. Yes, maybe a designed roll out at times would look good/help some.. but if a play like that gets shut down, might be disastrous. Of course, it can't be much worse than it is now lol 

Our OL has forced us to become so much predictable. We got rolling a little bit in the Cinci game and we had some innovation. You just can't rely on that stuff to move the football on a consistent basis. You have to be able to run zone in the gun in this age of football. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I mean there isn't one particular thing we could have done and THEN we would have moved the ball. Yes, maybe a designed roll out at times would look good/help some.. but if a play like that gets shut down, might be disastrous. Of course, it can't be much worse than it is now lol 

Our OL has forced us to become so much predictable. 

Penix covered up how bad our line was last year with his arm strength and quick release.  I recall him setting some NCAA record for most passing yards under pressure. That's good for him, but bad for his offensive line

• Like 1

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

We might need a 6-7 play wildcat formation.. maybe McCulley QBs that. Really dk.. but there's gotta be wholesale changes. Everything. We're awful offensively right now. 

Want a “wildcat” formation? Put Penix and Tuttle in the backfield on the same play. Sure, it’s a gimmick, but it’d cause some chaos for the defense and at worst, gets them to burn a TO. 

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Want a “wildcat” formation? Put Penix and Tuttle in the backfield on the same play. Sure, it’s a gimmick, but it’d cause some chaos for the defense and at worst, gets them to burn a TO. 

Put all three in... play them on Defense. Idgaf.. just SCORE

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

IU fan guide to next week's game, pending MSU's result today:

A) MSU wins: "Oh no! They're unbeaten and ranked in the top 10! We're screwed!"

B) MSU loses: "Oh no! They're coming off a loss, which means they'll be pissed! We're screwed!"

C) Beat MSU

18 hours ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

I want A. Can’t wait to beat a top 10 team next week

one thing is for sure. If we do win we have to beat the Refs too. When they make horrible calls or horrible no calls for States Dbacks holding are receivers. I would love the see the fans storm the field in protest. Just one time I would love to see that. 

It is game week!  Hoping the boys can put together a complete game-- and that everyone sees them play up to their full potential.  No cupcakes in the B1G, so let's embrace the challenge of competing well with whomever is on our schedule.  If they can do that, they will beat some ranked teams.  GO HOOSIERS