'21-'22 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

20 hours ago, rico said:

Nice piece from MLBTR regarding Castellanos.  I guess I never looked at it this way before.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/nick-castellanos-undecided-about-opt-out.html

I've said it a few times. It's not a lock that he opts out and it's also not a lock that he's not back with the Reds even if he does. He's not going to get crazy money like many people think. Probably 20-22 million per year. Maybe a tad bit more but not a lot and if he gets that much it'll likely be for 2 or 3 years. 

26 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I've said it a few times. It's not a lock that he opts out and it's also not a lock that he's not back with the Reds even if he does. He's not going to get crazy money like many people think. Probably 20-22 million per year. Maybe a tad bit more but not a lot and if he gets that much it'll likely be for 2 or 3 years. 

According to that link, Nick questions just how the new CBA will affect him.  My gut tells me that he will be a Red if, and that's a big IF, the management is committed to winning next year.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

According to that link, Nick questions just how the new CBA will affect him.  My gut tells me that he will be a Red if, and that's a big IF, the management is committed to winning next year.

That's also a consideration that a lot of media and people who cover baseball hasn't talked about enough. The new CBA could cause a strike which could lead to some crazy contract situations depending on how long it takes to get a new agreement and if there is a salary cap and floor moving forward. 32 million is still a good chunk of change to collect over the next 2 years if you don't know how contracts will look going forward. 

49 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Probably like 4/80 and for the Reds to sign him they probably have to let Barnhart and Miley go.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Probably like 4/80 and for the Reds to sign him they probably have to let Barnhart and Miley go.

Miley should not be let go. If he’s not on the roster in 2022 the Reds should pick up the offer and then trade him. Barnhart I think they could get clever there with an extension too but they might opt to move on. I have mixed feelings on him. 

8 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Miley should not be let go. If he’s not on the roster in 2022 the Reds should pick up the offer and then trade him. Barnhart I think they could get clever there with an extension too but they might opt to move on. I have mixed feelings on him. 

Speaking of trades.....Suarez?

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I wouldn’t. He’s better than he was most of 2021 and his value would be really low. He’s not got a bad contract and if there’s a DH that’ll help with hiding his defense.

Well I would shop him along with Shogo.  But if there is a DH I could be compelled to change my opinion.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Suarez was really bad last year as well.

Shoulder injuries take time to come back from. That’s happened to numerous guys in baseball. Sometimes it takes 12-18 months to reach 100. August 2021 would’ve been about 17 months and that’s when he started hitting better. Then September he looked like pre injury Suarez.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Shoulder injuries take time to come back from. That’s happened to numerous guys in baseball. Sometimes it takes 12-18 months to reach 100. August 2021 would’ve been about 17 months and that’s when he started hitting better. Then September he looked like pre injury Suarez.

Fair enough...we shall see how the front office handles it.

• 2 weeks later...

There's an account on twitter that is pretty reliable for FA interest information and stuff like said that the Reds are going to try and retain Castellanos even if he opts out. Which is what I've expected all along. The Reds could get creative in moving some salary to create space to increase his salary. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, IU Scott said:

For some reason I see Castellanos ending up with the Brewers.  I see the Reds filling his spit with people within the team like Senzel and Naquin.  They probably will try to cut more payroll and this next season will be worse than this year.

The eternal optimist.  😁