'21-'22 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

In 12 seasons, Buster Posey accumulated a WAR of 44.9, a 162 game average of 5.3 (The latter number is good enough for 6th all-time among catchers)

In 18 seasons Yadier Molina accumulated a WAR of 42.1, a 162 game average of 3.2 (The latter number is 67th all time among catchers)

Some notable active catchers with a better 162 game average WAR than Molina

•  Wilson Contreras
  • Russell Martin
  • Gary Sanchez

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_C.shtml

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Nick Castellanos has opted out of his contract. Which should surprise no one. The question will be is if the Reds try and sign him to a new contract like they've been rumored to be interested in doing. 

First step complete. Now if the Cubs are as serious as they say they are this year with spending....he's the first one I want.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Why? His first time with us was brief but he loved every single day playing at Wrigley. His words not mine. 

He's going to go someplace he can win and that's not the Cubs right now unless they sign or make multiple trades. He also said he like the Reds and their fan base better than anyplace he'd been and that the city of Cincinnati felt like home but the guy wants to be in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Nick Castellanos has opted out of his contract. Which should surprise no one. The question will be is if the Reds try and sign him to a new contract like they've been rumored to be interested in doing. 

The way I see it to keep/sign Nick the Reds need to be shopping Moose and/or Geno.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is not a team in the world that will pick up Moose's contract.  With Geno, the other team may pick up a piece.  

Don't be raining on my parade!  LOL

I know what you are saying, but I feel it is the only realistic chance the Reds have with Nick.  I mean they can't start unloading starting pitching, can they?  Decisions, decisions...

5 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah, Castellini came in with really positive vibes...experience as a partial owner of the Cardinals, a hometown owner who seemed to love baseball.  Problem seems to be finding deep enough pockets to play with the big boys and doing a better job building the organization at the grassroots level.  Reds can't seem to find/develop enough quality players and can't/won't pay to acquire/keep the roster they need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Why? His first time with us was brief but he loved every single day playing at Wrigley. His words not mine. 

He also said this year with the Reds  the best time he had in the majors.  He wants to win so he will go to a legit contender

Edited by IU Scott

23 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think the only team that will outbid the Reds is the Marlins if they decide to spend. He's going to likely get a 5-7 mil per year increase. If a team goes higher than that I suspect it'll be the Marlins to bring him closer to home. Who knows though until it happens. 

The proximity to his home aside, how can you reconcile saying he wouldn't go to the Cubs (71-91) because "He's going to go someplace he can win" and then mention the Marlins (67-95)?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1