'21-'22 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

13 minutes ago, rico said:

On MLBTR it was reported that Krall said there was no interest in Wade.  

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Reds tried to trade him and cut him because there wasn’t a market. Good luck to Miley but he’s very unlikely to repeat what he did this year. 

There may not have been a market for what the Reds were asking, but I'm sure some team would have offered the Reds a flier on some low level minor leaguer.  

As far as not duplicating what he did this year, I agree.  But, when you're sitting in between Scherzer and Cole on a pitching statistic, you're keeping good company and have SOME value.

image.png.063455d7c8c2b9ab2a6fbc294a32ffd8.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There may not have been a market for what the Reds were asking, but I'm sure some team would have offered the Reds a flier on some low level minor leaguer.  

As far as not duplicating what he did this year, I agree.  But, when you're sitting in between Scherzer and Cole on a pitching statistic, you're keeping good company and have SOME value.

My guess is the Reds are figuring on bringing up some young arms to save money.  Plenty of voices on this site have wanted them to do that.  My other guess is there's more cutting to be done.   🙄

44 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Reds tried to trade him and cut him because there wasn’t a market. Good luck to Miley but he’s very unlikely to repeat what he did this year. 

$10M is cheap though for a starting pitcher. 12-7 in 28 starts...and I believe he lost a few because of bullpen. I'll take anyone for $10M.

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

All day long....to me this was a steal for the Cubs. 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The last 3 days the Reds have lost

Castellanos their best hitter

Miley best pitcher

Barnhart great defensive catcher

What they gained 34 million

I honestly never paid attention to Reds or their Mgt until joining this board a few years ago. I knew of some stuff but hearing you guys every day.....Reds are inching close to Bears/NFL ownership levels and not in a good way. 

Such an awesome baseball city. That uniform still means something...and the owners seem hell bent on reminding their fans every year they don't care.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

I thought I was missing something when I first heard about it today. Good to see others thinking the same way. If you want to dump $ fine...but you pickup option and dump after. 

I'm sure Jed Hoyer is pouring a cold one laughing to himself thinking we have a guy on the cheap who will start 27-28 games for us next year. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought I was missing something when I first heard about it today. Good to see others thinking the same way. If you want to dump $ fine...but you pickup option and dump after. 

I'm sure Jed Hoyer is pouring a cold one laughing to himself thinking we have a guy on the cheap who will start 27-28 games for us next year. 

There is another possibility here.  The Reds and Cubs wanted it this way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds want the Cubs to be better than them?

LOL, I am talking some backroom handshake or something along those lines.  The Cubs owe the Reds a favor type of thing.  

I suppose it is a possibility...but I will go with the Reds are cheap bastards and have no interest in winning.

I now expect Sonny to be dealt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL, I am talking some backroom handshake or something along those lines.  The Cubs owe the Reds a favor type of thing.  

I suppose it is a possibility...but I will go with the Reds are cheap bastards and have no interest in winning.

I now expect Sonny to be dealt.

They'd have to drag the backs of their heads in the sand to get under the McRicketts fiscal limbo stick...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They'd have to drag the backs of their heads in the sand to get under the McRicketts fiscal limbo stick...

Hey!  This is Cincinnati...Home of the Bengals and Mikey Brown!  The Brown family takes a backseat to no one when it comes to sports team franchise fiscal squeezility!!  And general cheapness, stupidity, and selfish "It's our team not yours" approach to ownership.  The bottom line rules PERIOD!!  Bob Castellini has watched Mikey operate for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I would assume that all National League teams with worse records than the Cubs had dibs.

I think waiver claims rotate from league to league...worst record in the league of the team that put the player on waivers has first shot, followed by the team with the worst record in the other league...

At least that's how I read this...

"When a player is on waivers, other teams can submit a claim. If more than one team does, those in the same league as that player's team get first priority, starting with the club with the worst record on the day of the claim. Then, the priority moves to the other league, starting with the worst record. For example, if a National League team puts a player on waivers, the NL team with the worst record gets the first shot at him, and the last-place American League club would be right behind the top NL club."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I know what Nick Krall and the Reds are doing. They are trying to implement more of an Oakland A's and Tampa Bay type of system in their roster construction and that's why they are listening to offers for Castillo and probably Gray. I think they'll be trying to sign some players like Garcia to replace Castellanos. Get similar production at a lesser value and better defensively. Time will tell if they are successful. 

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think I know what Nick Krall and the Reds are doing. They are trying to implement more of an Oakland A's and Tampa Bay type of system in their roster construction and that's why they are listening to offers for Castillo and probably Gray. I think they'll be trying to sign some players like Garcia to replace Castellanos. Get similar production at a lesser value and better defensively. Time will tell if they are successful. 

Interesting approach. Not sure I'd trust the Reds brass to pull that off. Not a Reds fan but their FO has failed the last few years. I've actually thought they could have been really good the last few years but something just hasn't clicked. Maybe it's David Bell but apparently the FO loves him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Interesting approach. Not sure I'd trust the Reds brass to pull that off. Not a Reds fan but their FO has failed the last few years. I've actually thought they could have been really good the last few years but something just hasn't clicked. Maybe it's David Bell but apparently the FO loves him.

Not saying it'll be successful but it probably is their best chance to have some level of sustained success since they aren't ever going to be big spenders. They do have some good long term pieces on their roster but they still have some holes to fill. If they could get a couple of pieces for Castillo for example then fill the others with free agents this team could be better next year even with losing Castellanos, Miley, and others. 

Edited by DC2345

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Not saying it'll be successful but it probably is their best chance to have some level of sustained success since they aren't ever going to be big spenders. They do have some good long term pieces on their roster but they still have some holes to fill. If they could get a couple of pieces for Castillo for example then fill the others with free agents this team could be better next year even with losing Castellanos, Miley, and others. 

I agree with you. Gotta get creative if the owner and front office aren't willing to spend money. I'd like to see MLB institute a salary floor around $100M. I think most teams can afford that these days. Oakland has a top 4 richest owner in baseball and he refuses to spend money on the team. I've heard they're talking about trading away numerous key pieces. Matt Olson being one of them. If you're an owner of a team and you aren't trying to win, you should be removed. You're in the business to win games and a chance at a championship. But it seems like most owners these days are only concerned with selling tickets and profit. I'm a Cardinals fan and I know they're definitely guilty of that.