'21-'22 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

3 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I agree with you. Gotta get creative if the owner and front office aren't willing to spend money. I'd like to see MLB institute a salary floor around $100M. I think most teams can afford that these days. Oakland has a top 4 richest owner in baseball and he refuses to spend money on the team. I've heard they're talking about trading away numerous key pieces. Matt Olson being one of them. If you're an owner of a team and you aren't trying to win, you should be removed. You're in the business to win games and a chance at a championship. But it seems like most owners these days are only concerned with selling tickets and profit. I'm a Cardinals fan and I know they're definitely guilty of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a floor around $100M in the new CBA. That wouldn't affect the Reds since there salary has been around $120 and $130 million the last 3 or 4 years. They just have some bad contracts and don't want to go over that amount so fans like calling them cheap because they won't spend more. Teams like the Pirates and Orioles that have salaries around $60 and $70 million is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a floor around $100M in the new CBA. That wouldn't affect the Reds since there salary has been around $120 and $130 million the last 3 or 4 years. They just have some bad contracts and don't want to go over that amount so fans like calling them cheap because they won't spend more. Teams like the Pirates and Orioles that have salaries around $60 and $70 million is ridiculous. 

There was an interesting stat about the Orioles payroll floating around Twitter during the season but I can't remember what it was. Most teams now have those big TV contracts paying them big bucks. If an owner can't afford a $100M payroll, maybe they shouldn't own a baseball team. They make a ton of money off tickets, merchandise, food and beer sales. Then the TV money comes into play. 

19 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I think I know what Nick Krall and the Reds are doing. They are trying to implement more of an Oakland A's and Tampa Bay type of system in their roster construction and that's why they are listening to offers for Castillo and probably Gray. I think they'll be trying to sign some players like Garcia to replace Castellanos. Get similar production at a lesser value and better defensively. Time will tell if they are successful. 

What is wrong with the Milwaukee system?  

Presently I have no faith in the Reds' FO.  It appears to me their foremost concern is "saving" money while not giving any thought to winning.  They could have handled the Miley and Barnhart transactions soooo much better.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

What is wrong with the Milwaukee system?  

Presently I have no faith in the Reds' FO.  It appears to me their foremost concern is "saving" money while not giving any thought to winning.  They could have handled the Miley and Barnhart transactions soooo much better.  

We'll see what they look like whenever the season starts. I think they'll have a mixture of productive vets and young players they want in the big leagues to build around moving forward. Krall was an employee of the A's in the early Billy Beane moneyball days so it's probably the format he's most comfortable with and he doesn't like the bad contracts that Dick Williams dished out that are still on their books. Miley got lucky this year and teams no it. All of the analytical numbers say that was the case plus you can't count on him past August. Barnhart I think was the organization doing what he wanted and not the best return. He didn't want to get traded far from Indy and that limited the market. 

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

We'll see what they look like whenever the season starts. I think they'll have a mixture of productive vets and young players they want in the big leagues to build around moving forward. Krall was an employee of the A's in the early Billy Beane moneyball days so it's probably the format he's most comfortable with and he doesn't like the bad contracts that Dick Williams dished out that are still on their books. Miley got lucky this year and teams no it. All of the analytical numbers say that was the case plus you can't count on him past August. Barnhart I think was the organization doing what he wanted and not the best return. He didn't want to get traded far from Indy and that limited the market. 

Yeah, wait and see I suppose.  And not worth rehashing about the recent transactions.  

23 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I think I know what Nick Krall and the Reds are doing. They are trying to implement more of an Oakland A's and Tampa Bay type of system in their roster construction and that's why they are listening to offers for Castillo and probably Gray. I think they'll be trying to sign some players like Garcia to replace Castellanos. Get similar production at a lesser value and better defensively. Time will tell if they are successful. 

If they sell off their top players I hope they can get value for them.  I saw what they got for Cueto and Chapman and it was not  of value.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If they sell off their top players I hope they can get value for them.  I saw what they got for Cueto and Chapman and it was not  of value.

That's because they waited to long because Bob C got in the way and wouldn't let the front office make the trades when the players value was at it's highest. It's also a different person in charge of the baseball ops department now so I don't know what kind of returns he would be looking for. 

4 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Looks like the Yankees are shopping for a shortstop. The Gleyber Torres experiment didn't work out. Torres was 3rd in the AL with 18 errors.

Yankees, Brian Cashman eye shortstop in Hot Stove (mlb.com)

I know some Cubs fans gave them heat but glad Theo pulled the trigger. We got a title and 5 years later the can't miss prospect is getting replaced. 

Edited by Seeking6

17 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Looks like the Yankees are shopping for a shortstop. The Gleyber Torres experiment didn't work out. Torres was 3rd in the AL with 18 errors.

Yankees, Brian Cashman eye shortstop in Hot Stove (mlb.com)

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I know some Cubs fans gave them heat but glad Theo pulled the trigger. We got a title and 5 years later the can't miss prospect is getting replaced. 

Last off season the Yanks wanted Castillo.  The Reds asking price?  Torres.  The Yanks balked at that.  It is a new year with new wants.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Not read the story, but based on the title, I I would guess the chances of the players union approving something like that would be .000000000000318006 percent.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not read the story, but based on the title, I I would guess the chances of the players union approving something like that would be .000000000000318006 percent.

You think it is that high?  LOL  I love the concept of players getting paid for performance but reality is that it wouldn't work for the players.  They prefer the system of sucking and getting paid handsomely for it.

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I'm ready for the Reds to make some move already so that we will really know what Krall is planning on doing with this roster and not just speculating. They supposedly made an offer to Andrew Heaney prior to him signing his 8.5 million dollar deal with the Dodgers. 

Saw an article where Scott Boras said there are only 17 teams trying to win. Unfortunately for Reds fans the Reds weren't one of the 17. Also bad is that Boras is Castallanos agent

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I'm ready for the Reds to make some move already so that we will really know what Krall is planning on doing with this roster and not just speculating. They supposedly made an offer to Andrew Heaney prior to him signing his 8.5 million dollar deal with the Dodgers. 

I am gearing up for a 90 loss+ season...