'21-'22 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Unless the Cubs do something over next 48 hours they are basically saying again we are signing one year deals to guys who have shown potential but are either cut or released. That's our business model right now.

70 wins here we come!

Yes, you are correct.  But it doesn't make any sense right now for the Cubs to sign a big name free agent as they are not close enough to making a run to make it worthwhile to spend that much money on 1 player.  It did make sense to get Jon Lester when the Cubs did because they were ready to make and run and needed a #1.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

Yes, you are correct.  But it doesn't make any sense right now for the Cubs to sign a big name free agent as they are not close enough to making a run to make it worthwhile to spend that much money on 1 player.  It did make sense to get Jon Lester when the Cubs did because they were ready to make and run and needed a #1.

So what do they do?  By all accounts there is nothing down on the farm.  Seems to me they would at least sign 2-3 FAs to try to be competitive?  At least that is the way I see it.

4 hours ago, slojoe said:

So we sit on a $5B operation with as it stands right now a $24M payroll. I don't think any of that makes sense and neither do the 99% of Cubs fans I know.

The #Cubs have $22.5 million committed to their 2024 payroll, assuming they'll pick up Kyle Hendricks club option. If they don't pick it up, they've got just $8M committed. Eight. Million. Go buy some players.
Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rico said:

SS and LF?

I bet they stand pat for OF and sign a middle infielder. Heyward will start RF, Happ will probably be in left (ugghh), and center by committee (Ortega/Frazier). Hoerner might play some CF too...especially if they bring in another SS.

SP right now is decent and they have been rumored to be interested in Rodon...

Hendricks
Stroman
Miley
Mills
Steel

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...