Most excited to see under Allen?

What are some things you're most excited to see this year under Allen?

I think I'm most interested in our special teams.  Wilson didn't give a rat's a$$ about it, and we've already seen Allen sign a punter and a place kicker.  I think Whitehead will be really good for us, and I think Oakes will have a bounce back year.  We'll hopefully be better returning kickoffs and punts too.  We left a lot of easy yards on the field last year in special teams, and I think we'll pick up a lot more of those this year.

I'm also excited to see how jacked up Allen will have our team playing.  I think we'll get back to having more fire and playing with more passion and aggression.  I can't wait for the season to get going!

Hey Leather.  So glad you made it over to HSN.03.

For me.... it is the emphasis that Coach Allen will be placing on defense.  Something our former HC, failed to understand.  Though I loved the offensive attack... I am a firm believer that DEFENSE wins games.   Coach Allen will be placing pressure on the opposing QB, like no other IU team before him.  And will be using a judicious use of blitz's when the situations presents itself.  

I'm hoping to see Lagow improve in decision making.  It's not really a coaching-specific answer, I know, but I think it's the biggest key to IU's success this year.  I actually expect the defense to be really good, but our offense will have difficulty if he continues forcing passes.  I do think he will have improved in that regard, though.

I'm also hoping to see better play calling, too, as well as consistency.  Wilson would be really aggressive, and then just run out the last minute of the half instead of trying to get into scoring position, and it always baffled me.  I'm hoping that along with the playcalling, the offense will be better disciplined while keeping the tempo fairly quick, because, I have to be honest, it's fun to watch the uptempo offense.

3 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I'm hoping to see Lagow improve in decision making.  It's not really a coaching-specific answer, I know, but I think it's the biggest key to IU's success this year.  I actually expect the defense to be really good, but our offense will have difficulty if he continues forcing passes.  I do think he will have improved in that regard, though.

I'm also hoping to see better play calling, too, as well as consistency.  Wilson would be really aggressive, and then just run out the last minute of the half instead of trying to get into scoring position, and it always baffled me.  I'm hoping that along with the playcalling, the offense will be better disciplined while keeping the tempo fairly quick, because, I have to be honest, it's fun to watch the uptempo offense.

On Lagow, I think our play calling could help him out a lot.  On quicker throws when he didn't have time to think, he usually made good throws.  When he had time to sit back and let a guy get deeper, he'd lock onto that guy and it usually didn't end well.  Hopefully the coaches can get him to work through his progressions more. His troubles usually happened when he'd have it in his mind who he was throwing to before the play started.

It would drive me crazy when Wilson would run out the clock at the end of halves.  Especially when we have a kicker who can nail 50+ yarders.  I agree too, uptempo offenses are fun to watch.  It seemed like with Wilson we would start every drive with a basic run just to get everyone moving.  I'd like to see more of a mix of runs and quick slants or screens to start the drive.  I like the idea of getting a few positive yards to get us moving, but I'd like to see less predictable.

22 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hey Leather.  So glad you made it over to HSN.03.

For me.... it is the emphasis that Coach Allen will be placing on defense.  Something our former HC, failed to understand.  Though I loved the offensive attack... I am a firm believer that DEFENSE wins games.   Coach Allen will be placing pressure on the opposing QB, like no other IU team before him.  And will be using a judicious use of blitz's when the situations presents itself.  

Glad to be here, and glad my posts are showing up here!

I said it before when we hired him, but I don't think of Allen as a defensive coach.  I think of him as a great coach.  I think he's someone who gets the best out of everyone, no matter where he is coaching.  I love having a good defense too, and I love that he's not a one trick pony like Wilson was with offense.  We'll maybe have a slightly better defense than offense, but I think he sees the value of all aspects of the team.  I think he'll be a good enough coach that he won't settle for having a bad facet of the team.

I really think when all is said and done, he's going to be the best IU coach of all time.  I know that's saying a lot for a guy who has never been a D1 head coach, but I have a good feeling about this hire.

The Hoosier Defense make even BIGGER STRIDES than they did last season !! I'm like most fans [ i suspect] in being more confident of IU's Defense than IU's OFFENSE [at this point in time] ????? I guess we will find out what Coach Debord has up his sleeves tomorrow night , AUGUST 31, 2017 !! Will this go down a a great day in IU FOOTBALL HISTORY ??? I'll be watching till the end  [whatever the outcome] !!! HOOSIERS !! BEAT THOSE BUCKEYES !!!

Archived