The Mike Woodson coaching origin story

37 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That was a great story. I also liked what Coach Woody said when they asked him how he got Trayce to stay...

"I didn't show him from a basketball standpoint what he did well. I showed him all the sh!t he couldn't do." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

The more I learn about Woodson the more I realize he should’ve been hired years ago. 

It was widely thought that we couldn't get him.  The story went around that Woody wasn't leaving the NBA.  Don't know if that was his thinking or not, but he was getting head coaching gigs so it makes sense.

6 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

The more I learn about Woodson the more I realize he should’ve been hired years ago. 

At the B1G media day he said he was in NBA head coaching gigs the first couple of times the job came open, and the last time, when Archie was hired, he didn't like the way they approached him and didn't think they were seriously considering him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 10:35 AM, IUFLA said:

At the B1G media day he said he was in NBA head coaching gigs the first couple of times the job came open, and the last time, when Archie was hired, he didn't like the way they approached him and didn't think they were seriously considering him.

Agreed. I believe Woody has said previously that he actually went after the IU job before Miller was hired, but like you said, didn't think they were seriously considering him. 

I also remember a comment from a former player (want to say Brian Evans, but not sure) that the former player was sitting in Glass' office and wanted to suggest a couple of candidates like Woody, and others, and Glass' shut him down hard before he could get one name out of his mouth. 

• Like 2