Bad Coaching Or Product Of The Past?

jojo123

IU has a massive O- line. I mean some real monsters up there! So Why the soft play? If you look at game film or photos. You can see the issues we are getting out leveraged and beat to the spot and poor technique. Is this a product of bad coaching or are we soft on the O- line because being hard on those guys up front was the very reason Tom Allen became our head coach and Kevin Wilson was fired. Now don't get me wrong I love coach Allen, but our O-line play has been down since his tenure. Are the guys starting just too big and slow? I guess we will never know until there are some changes made coaches and players.

Edited by jojo123
changed word

I think there's some talent there, but I think coaching is the big issue. We have quite a few guys who were decently sought after, but we're struggling to develop anybody individually, and we're struggling to get them to play together as a cohesive unit.

Bedford had a lot of big schools after him towards the end of his recruitment. Carpenter was likely going to be the starting center for Michigan. Powell has a ton of experience, and has been in the program for 2 years. Jones keeps being talked up as wanting to go to the NFL, and he can't block anybody (obviously a huge part of that is the shape he's in, but he's not any better this year when he's 40 pounds lighter).

With the talent and experience we have on the line, this should have been the year it starts clicking and coming together. It obviously hasn't so far, and unless there is a complete 180, Hiller needs to be out.

Don’t remember who the O-Line coach was when Wilson was head coach but would love to have him back. Our O-Line used to be a big strength back then. Hiller has been bad he has got to be let go

if the offense doesn’t get better Sheridan as well. I’ve watched a lot of other offenses last couple weeks college and NFL just to compare to Sheridan and it’s not even close. The creativity and deigns have been better than Sheridan  in about every game  I’ve watched. He reminds me at ton of Deboard. The old OC we got Tennessee. Defense is just Teeing off on us because our O- Line isn’t good and our play calling is just as bad. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Don’t remember who the O-Line coach was when Wilson was head coach but would love to have him back. Our O-Line used to be a big strength back then. Hiller has been bad he has got to be let go

if the offense doesn’t get better Sheridan as well. I’ve watched a lot of other offenses last couple weeks college and NFL just to compare to Sheridan and it’s not even close. The creativity and deigns have been better than Sheridan  in about every game  I’ve watched. He reminds me at ton of Deboard. The old OC we got Tennessee. Defense is just Teeing off on us because our O- Line isn’t good and our play calling is just as bad. 

Under Wilson it was Greg Frey. He's bounced around a lot since IU with not much success. I think those lines were pretty much all Wilson, and Frey just happened to benefit from it.

22 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Have to remember, Wilson wasn’t just an offensive guru, he played center during his playing days. I’d say he was probably half of the OL coaching. 

• Like 1