I'm Ready For IU Hoops Season

5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Matt Norlander at CBS counting down the Top 68.  Check out that last sentence.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-no-1-358-rankings-preseason-countdown-concludes-with-top-68-teams-for-2021-22-season/

23. Indiana: Take a scan of the teams I've got in my top 30. I don't think there will be one with a greater shock to the senses -- in terms of what fans are used to seeing -- than IU. Mike Woodson is going to flip this thing in year one. Will it sustain for five or more years? I don't know. Will it work right away? I think so. IU, by my eye, has top-three pure talent in that league. Woodson recently admitted he is grinding his players in practice and working them into a level of conditioning they've never encountered before. It's likely awful right now, but if they can look up in mid-January and still see themselves ranked, much of it will be worth it. Trayce Jackson-Davis is now an obvious top-10 player in America, so it starts with him. It's the little things that add up, though, like keeping former highly touted prospect Khristian Lander and ensuring Rob Phinisee stuck around in Bloomington. Pitt transfer combo guard Xavier Johnson could be a revelation in the Big Ten if he can clean up his flawed habits from his hot-and-cold spell at Pitt. Can't wait to see this group in less than a month; after all, they are my national champion dark horse pick.

That last sentence gave me what you're hoping to see on the sidelines. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Matt Norlander at CBS counting down the Top 68.  Check out that last sentence.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-no-1-358-rankings-preseason-countdown-concludes-with-top-68-teams-for-2021-22-season/

23. Indiana: Take a scan of the teams I've got in my top 30. I don't think there will be one with a greater shock to the senses -- in terms of what fans are used to seeing -- than IU. Mike Woodson is going to flip this thing in year one. Will it sustain for five or more years? I don't know. Will it work right away? I think so. IU, by my eye, has top-three pure talent in that league. Woodson recently admitted he is grinding his players in practice and working them into a level of conditioning they've never encountered before. It's likely awful right now, but if they can look up in mid-January and still see themselves ranked, much of it will be worth it. Trayce Jackson-Davis is now an obvious top-10 player in America, so it starts with him. It's the little things that add up, though, like keeping former highly touted prospect Khristian Lander and ensuring Rob Phinisee stuck around in Bloomington. Pitt transfer combo guard Xavier Johnson could be a revelation in the Big Ten if he can clean up his flawed habits from his hot-and-cold spell at Pitt. Can't wait to see this group in less than a month; after all, they are my national champion dark horse pick.

I was hoping after reading his article that who ever posted it here, would have deleted the last sentence.

22 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was hoping after reading his article that who ever posted it here, would have deleted the last sentence.

Probably right.  That should be the floor.  'Darkhorse' is kind of a back-handed compliment.  Realistically, we should demand an undefeated season and nothing else.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, Hoosier51 said:

I started watching IU in the late 80s andTrayce is easily up there with guys like Cheaney, Greg Graham, Yogi and Alan Henderson as some of my favorite players. 

Throw in DJ White as well.  Some forget how could he was and had it not been for the coaching craziness and injuries during his tenure, he could have been an all-timer.  I just don't think his name gets brought up enough in threads, so I'm squeezing it in here.  Both him and Newton are favorites of mine if you talk last 30 years. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Throw in DJ White as well.  Some forget how could he was and had it not been for the coaching craziness and injuries during his tenure, he could have been an all-timer.  I just don't think his name gets brought up enough in threads, so I'm squeezing it in here.  Both him and Newton are favorites of mine if you talk last 30 years. 

Yeah White definitely gets overlooked at times. 👍

37 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That team with Marco could've been special if we had a real coach and DJ was healthy.  I guess same for the EJ season if we had a coach that wasn't crooked.  DJ really had some bad luck.

That team with EJ i think would have been banner #6 if it wasn't for all the crap that went on. It's a shame that coach was shady, the success IU could have had under him would have been impressive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I'm ready to have butterflies in my stomach before games again, because they had meaning. For I don't know how long, I have had a "meh" attitude about games, didn't watch, and frankly gave up the ghost. I'm ready to be a bit aggravating (per my patient wife) on game day, full of anticipation and nervous energy.

I’m on central time so some of the starts are early on a work night here.  I fight traffic to get home and then they play poorly or with no fight.  It becomes not worth the aggravation to get home early.  I hope that’s all over.  

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone else has felt it, but the whole climate around the mens basketball program has changed? Call it a paradyme shift, a new found inspiration, or just a completely new expectation level? I can't quite put my finger on it but it is there. When Coach Woodson addressed the crowd at Hoosier Hysteria, you could have literally heard a pin drop! Everyone in that gym wanted to hear every word Woody had to say. He did'nt spew out a boat load of hype, or hoopla. He did humbly spell out his expectations and rules he made clear were important to him. He made it clear no minutes are given out to the players for just showing up. They must be earned. There is an obvious respect between Coaches and players I have not seen in a while. He is a Coach that will defend his players, and they him also. They seemed to be drinking his Kool-Aid and liking it. There is an optimizm that I find encouraging. A comradery we hadn't seen at the Hall for quite some time! TEAM is what came to my mind as I left    Hoosier Hysteria,  Together Each Achieves More! I believe we are witnessing to return of Indiana Basketball! And I for one can't wait to see it blossom right before our eyes! Indiana We're All For You !!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rantool said:

I don't know if anyone else has felt it, but the whole climate around the mens basketball program has changed? Call it a paradyme shift, a new found inspiration, or just a completely new expectation level? I can't quite put my finger on it but it is there. When Coach Woodson addressed the crowd at Hoosier Hysteria, you could have literally heard a pin drop! Everyone in that gym wanted to hear every word Woody had to say. He did'nt spew out a boat load of hype, or hoopla. He did humbly spell out his expectations and rules he made clear were important to him. He made it clear no minutes are given out to the players for just showing up. They must be earned. There is an obvious respect between Coaches and players I have not seen in a while. He is a Coach that will defend his players, and they him also. They seemed to be drinking his Kool-Aid and liking it. There is an optimizm that I find encouraging. A comradery we hadn't seen at the Hall for quite some time! TEAM is what came to my mind as I left    Hoosier Hysteria,  Together Each Achieves More! I believe we are witnessing to return of Indiana Basketball! And I for one can't wait to see it blossom right before our eyes! Indiana We're All For You !!

I think there is more unity from the fan base and I like seeing the former players being brought back in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I had an interesting conversation with one of my buddies down at IU over the weekend.. same grade as Trayce and they’re good friends.. we all went to high school together.. he told me that Trayce said Tamar Bates is the best player on the team.. and based off everyone I have heard so far.. he came I’m right in with a dog mentality and extremely confident.. I hope what he’s been able to do this off season translates into the games! Would be awesome if he came in and put the B10 on notice! He already seems very polished as it is and I know he’s only going to get even better and more confident as the season progresses. I just thought that was an interesting statement they Trayce said! Has me excited! 

I hope so but I remember when all the players were saying Hunter was the best player on the team...and it never translated into games (obviously with injuries)....so I'm saving my breath. B1G conference season is a beast...so physical and wears freshman down....saw it with Romeo....just hope he can hold up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I had an interesting conversation with one of my buddies down at IU over the weekend.. same grade as Trayce and they’re good friends.. we all went to high school together.. he told me that Trayce said Tamar Bates is the best player on the team.. and based off everyone I have heard so far.. he came I’m right in with a dog mentality and extremely confident.. I hope what he’s been able to do this off season translates into the games! Would be awesome if he came in and put the B10 on notice! He already seems very polished as it is and I know he’s only going to get even better and more confident as the season progresses. I just thought that was an interesting statement they Trayce said! Has me excited! 

Thanks for the report.

I'm getting even more excited, if that's possible, about the upcoming season!

I think most of us expected Bates to be good, but it was a question of how quickly he develops.  Sounds like he's on the fast track.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, KoB2011 said:

That last sentence gave me what you're hoping to see on the sidelines. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we have a very very good team and make a nice run in the tourney. Give guys like Trayce and Tamar something to think about instead of leaving....go from Darkhorse to favorites if they would hang around. Do something special!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wouldn't it be nice if we have a very very good team and make a nice run in the tourney. Give guys like Trayce and Tamar something to think about instead of leaving....go from Darkhorse to favorites if they would hang around. Do something special!

Yes absolutely! I think we will be the dark horse this season for sure and surprise a lot of people! If we win a lot of games this year.. our recruiting will change dramatically.. we’ll be in the conversation again for numerous guys in top 25.. especially with Woodson at the realm! His recruiting has already been very good but I think it will only get better if we win! 

This is a tournament team for sure! I think we will be anywhere from a 5 seed to a 7 seed. 

Edited by Jackson Kellogs
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 9:29 PM, IU Scott said:

I think there is more unity from the fan base and I like seeing the former players being brought back in.

I think it’s also that the players have bought in. They constantly say positive things about Woody (a lot), and what is going on, while they virtually never praised, or said anything positive about, the former coach that won’t be named. 

Everything has been great so far, and I am thrilled with our abrupt shift to positive mojo, but to keep the ship sailing in the right direction we will obviously need the W’s.

24 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I had an interesting conversation with one of my buddies down at IU over the weekend.. same grade as Trayce and they’re good friends.. we all went to high school together.. he told me that Trayce said Tamar Bates is the best player on the team.. and based off everything I have heard so far.. he came I’m right in with a dog mentality and extremely confident.. I hope what he’s been able to do this off season translates into the games! Would be awesome if he came in and put the B10 on notice! He already seems very polished as it is and I know he’s only going to get even better and more confident as the season progresses. I just thought that was an interesting statement they Trayce said! Has me excited! 

Now obviously Trayce is the best player on the team.. but for him to give his take on who he see’s as the best player on the team other than himself.. and it being Tamar.. can’t wait to see him turn some heads! 

Thanks for that. I said in another thread I think he could be the difference between a good and a great season...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope so but I remember when all the players were saying Hunter was the best player on the team...and it never translated into games (obviously with injuries)....so I'm saving my breath. B1G conference season is a beast...so physical and wears freshman down....saw it with Romeo....just hope he can hold up.

I saw what a kid like Jaden Ivey of Purdue was able to do when I look at Tamar...About the same height, build, and both have that attitude...

Ivey was rated 89th by 247 in 2020, and Tamar was #30 in 2021...Similar high schools stats...Why not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I had an interesting conversation with one of my buddies down at IU over the weekend.. same grade as Trayce and they’re good friends.. we all went to high school together.. he told me that Trayce said Tamar Bates is the best player on the team.. 

Now obviously Trayce is the best player on the team.. but for him to give his take on who he see’s as the best player on the team other than himself.. and it being Tamar.. can’t wait to see him turn some heads! 

After the Bahama's games Trayce & Tamar were interview by somebody (don't remember who) and Trayce pointed to Tamar before the 1st question was asked and said "This is a Pro". Remember it like it was an hour ago. Quite a statement from the centerpiece of the team.

• Like 4