What is the Key to a GREAT IU Season?

IUFLA

I just keep thinking that the difference between a good IU season and a great IU season could be Tamar Bates...

And I say that for this reason...Last year, a few of the teams that finished ahead of us had that "guy" that could pick a team up at the end of the game and put them in the position to win...A guy who could hit the outside shot but at the same time could go to the hoop and get a big basket when you needed it...Just give it to him and get out of the way...Dosunmu was the most obvious difference maker, but D'Mitrik Trice of Wisconsin, Duane Washington of OSU, Aaron Henry of MSU, Isaiah Livers of Michigan (although they had a few guys who could do it), Aaron Wiggins and Eric Ayala of Maryland, Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr of Rutgers, and (as bad as I hate to say this) Jaden Ivey at Purdue, especially toward the end of the year.

We have a good inside game with TJD and Race, what I think will be improved shooting with Stewart and Kopp, and an offense (and a coach) that I hope inspires confidence...But I think we need that one guy we can go to in a pinch...I know it's a lot to ask of a freshman, but as I said, if you watched Ivey late in the year, there were times he hoisted the Boilers on his back and made crucial shots that allowed them to win games...

I do think last year Armaan was growing into "that guy" but the limitations of the offense and his nagging ankle injury kinda stunted that...

And I believe no matter what, we'll be a good team...but the margin between good and great can be razor thin...

• Like 2

I think Bates will prove to be a great player but not That Guy as a Freshman

Based on all the agonal play we suffered thru last year, I think it's 3 pt shooting and Transition that will once again make this team not only a pleasure to watch again but also define the new BB era under CMW.

My biggest thing is the same as the last two seasons. Find and identify 2 more consistent scorers so TJD doesn't have 3 guys on him all season. I think we have plenty to choose from in Bates, Race, Kopp, Stewart....and others. 

2 guys need to step up and score so it frees up TJD. Just that one thing could turn this season into something better than just making the tourney.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Simple.  No injuries and much improved shooting. 

56 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Based on all the agonal play we suffered thru last year, I think it's 3 pt shooting and Transition that will once again make this team not only a pleasure to watch again but also define the new BB era under CMW.

I understand and agree with that line of thought...And I think those improvements alone will propel us to the top half of the B1G...But what gets us into the Conference Title conversation? Those improvements alone? 

I made the Ivey comparison because I think Tamar is the same type of player...About the same height/build...And, in a small sample size, I think Tamar has that same confident attitude...Coach Woody has said as much, and it showed, particularly in the first game, in the Bahamas. Ivey has that same confidence around his game...And it was a role he was more comfortable with later in the season. To Porkchop's credit, he let Ivey play through some rough patches early on and it paid benefits down the line...

I understand that Purdue had much less experience last year than we do this year and part of Ivey's progression was need based...I just see a lot of similarities in Tamar...

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand and agree with that line of thought...And I think those improvements alone will propel us to the top half of the B1G...But what gets us into the Conference Title conversation? Those improvements alone? 

I made the Ivey comparison because I think Tamar is the same type of player...About the same height/build...And, in a small sample size, I think Tamar has that same confident attitude...Coach Woody has said as much, and it showed, particularly in the first game, in the Bahamas. Ivey has that same confidence around his game...And it was a role he was more comfortable with later in the season. To Porkchop's credit, he let Ivey play through some rough patches early on and it paid benefits down the line...

I understand that Purdue had much less experience last year than we do this year and part of Ivey's progression was need based...I just see a lot of similarities in Tamar...

I hear what you're saying. There were several games last year where IU was right there, but then when the game got tight the last 5 minutes other teams had guys that could just take things into their own hands offensively. IU didn't have that. As much as we want to complain about coaching, and there was a lot to complain about, often times in close games the last 5 minutes just flat-out comes down to players making plays and making big shots, and IU hasn't had that since probably Yogi. 

• Like 4

I’m really thinking Miller Kopp has the best chance at being That Guy this season. It seems like he can make a shot from anywhere and I get the sense that he’s a natural leader. Tamar might be the guy next season but it’s hard to rely on a freshman in that role, especially with how experienced this team is. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m really thinking Miller Kopp has the best chance at being That Guy this season. It seems like he can make a shot from anywhere and I get the sense that he’s a natural leader. Tamar might be the guy next season but it’s hard to rely on a freshman in that role, especially with how experienced this team is. 

I thought about Kopp...But can he get his own shot? I watched quite a bit of him at Northwestern, and I'm not sure he has that ability...He was always better on the catch and shoot...

Thought about XJ too...But is his outside shot consistent enough to keep a defender honest? 

Rob, but is his confidence level going to stay up?

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

in close games the last 5 minutes just flat-out comes down to players making plays and making big shots

• Like 1

Not lose 12 of 13 games

Not hit each other with Jeeps (going way back, I know)

I think it's obviously a combination of things, but a culture change where our players aren't afraid to make mistakes, aren't afraid to take shots, and guard the hell out of people. This will alleviate most of the ailments that have plagued the program the past 5-7 seasons. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Not lose 12 of 13 games

Not hit each other with Jeeps (going way back, I know)

I think it's obviously a combination of things, but a culture change where our players aren't afraid to make mistakes, aren't afraid to take shots, and guard the hell out of people. This will alleviate most of the ailments that have plagued the program the past 5-7 seasons. 

You're saying signs on the bench are a bad idea?

C3bOpbFWQAAPoPm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Improved or consistent guard play especially pg. As for "That Guy" i think it will be XJ. Trayce is the Hoosiers best player and Bates probably has the most potential but i think Johnson will be the guy if we need someone to take over or hit the shot if we need one at the end of a game. 

Also better 3pt shooting is a must. 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You're saying signs on the bench are a bad idea?

C3bOpbFWQAAPoPm.jpg

To me, there was an element of derision by the staff when they trotted out those signs.  The signs I saw were addressing biddy ball level complexity.  Not that particular staff's best moment.  You could just as easily blame the teaching if the players couldn't remember basic points, which should be automatically happening.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Improved or consistent guard play especially pg. As for "That Guy" i think it will be XJ. Trayce is the Hoosiers best player and Bates probably has the most potential but i think Johnson will be the guy if we need someone to take over or hit the shot if we need one at the end of a game. 

Also better 3pt shooting is a must. 👍

I'll admit I don't know much about XJ but I have a feeling he's going to have plenty of Devonte Green moments.  The good thing is we have 3 PGs.  

• Like 2

Going back to what other have said, we have to win close games.  That will push us up toward the top.  Win those games where you need to defend the lead or push a close game to the end and hit the shot that's needed.  Have the confidence to move down the floor and take the shot by someone.  Hit or miss, the attitude and confidence to put it all on the floor and walk away win or lose ready to take the same shot again the next night.  Kopp, X, or Rob.

I do find it interesting that almost no one ever talk about Parker.  Maybe it was his lackluster performance in the exhibition but i don't have a good feel on him.

• Like 1

Key is having guards that can create and for the love of all things, feed the post when the big fellas have position. No more pointless dribble action plays.

Key is defense converted into fast paced transition that leads to points. No more pointless dribble action plays.

Win the games you should and fight like hell in all others isn’t too much to ask but boy has that been a tall task.

Put a little pride in your step. Sport some swag.

• Like 1

While the obvious and correct answers are probably Kopp, XJ and Scoop, I need to be consistent (consistently wrong) and once more go for Rob Phinnesse. I’m not giving up on ROB, damnit! Defensive stopper. Improved confidence. Can play off the ball. Basically, he can concentrate on the things he does best this year.

• Like 4