What is the Key to a GREAT IU Season?

IUFLA

44 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm surprised no one seems to mention Geronimo.  He looks like he has an NBA body already.  I hope he can contribute this season.

I think it's because we're talking about being the offensive closer, the go-to-guy down the stretch. 

While we all hope Geronimo makes a big leap this season, I dont anyone expects him to be the bucket-getter in tight games down the stretch. 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think it's because we're talking about being the offensive closer, the go-to-guy down the stretch. 

While we all hope Geronimo makes a big leap this season, I dont anyone expects him to be the bucket-getter in tight games down the stretch. 

It'll be interesting to see what kind of year Jordan has...he's shown (in a small sample size) that he can hit the 3, got a nose for the ball, and has shown some promise on defense...

I can see him possibly being a go-to guy in future years, but I'd be surprised if he has advanced that far this year...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Scoring more than our opponents.

And before I get blasted for being flippant…

We have had a hard time putting the ball in the basket the last few years. It’s really simple. Score more points. 

I understand what you're saying...I was looking back through a game thread (2nd Purdue game)and while our offense could be stagnant, there were times that we couldn't hit good shots...bunnies or 3s...

As @BGleas said, sometimes players just have to make plays... And I hope ours are better at that this year... 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand what you're saying...I was looking back through a game thread (2nd Purdue game)and while our offense could be stagnant, there were times that we couldn't hit good shots...bunnies or 3s...

As @BGleas said, sometimes players just have to make plays... And I hope ours are better at that this year... 

Let’s not forget. This is IU and there is no place that phones it in better.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:37 AM, tdhoosier said:

While the obvious and correct answers are probably Kopp, XJ and Scoop, I need to be consistent (consistently wrong) and once more go for Rob Phinnesse. I’m not giving up on ROB, damnit! Defensive stopper. Improved confidence. Can play off the ball. Basically, he can concentrate on the things he does best this year.

He has hit some big shots at times for IU.

As always with a coaching change, my definition of "great" will be different for this season than what it would be traditionally.

Truthfully I don't know what to expect and I'm going to be much less focused on wins than how we are coached and play.  I want to to see energy and effort along with evidence of significant individual and team improvement - from last season AND as the upcoming season progresses.

As long as we're a difficult team for opponents to beat and the games are fun to watch it'll be a success in my book.  Moving forward, in the future, we need to be in the running for B10 championships, winning the conference tournament and advancing to at least the S16 on a yearly basis.

• Like 1

For me it’s simple: guard play. 

We have one of the best front court players in the country, with other solid pieces around him. We added veterans on the wing that can put the ball in the bucket in ways we haven’t had in a while. 

Can XJ, Bates, et al be the kind of bulldogs we need to win tough games? That’s the difference in the middle of the pack and a really special season IMO. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

For me it’s simple: guard play. 

We have one of the best front court players in the country, with other solid pieces around him. We added veterans on the wing that can put the ball in the bucket in ways we haven’t had in a while. 

Can XJ, Bates, et al be the kind of bulldogs we need to win tough games? That’s the difference in the middle of the pack and a really special season IMO. 

I hope Lander can contribute.  Woody hinted at media day that he had been improving a lot.

• Like 2