Jump to content

Why so many injuries?


Recommended Posts

Saw that we had to cancel one of those secret practices with Cincinnati because we had too many players that are banged up.  Why do we seem to have so many injuries every year?

I see a bunch of people pointing the finger at Marshall.  All that strength and conditioning is useless if the guys miss a bunch of court time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you would be right under Archie's time...too much emphasis on strength, not conditioning (running).

Under Woody, I've heard a bunch of players make the comment "we're getting after each other".  I think this year, they are practicing harder than ever, and hence the nit-pik injuries. You can bet Woody is getting everything he can out of them in practice.

There is still 3 weeks left until the 1st game. We should be fine by then. (I hope)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Saw that we had to cancel one of those secret practices with Cincinnati because we had too many players that are banged up.  Why do we seem to have so many injuries every year?

I see a bunch of people pointing the finger at Marshall.  All that strength and conditioning is useless if the guys miss a bunch of court time.

He's training them for a career in the UFC not in basketball.  Look at the thighs on Jordan.  Like a 1980s Jean-Claude Van Damme.

EeIKeMsWAAETYh3.jpg

Edited by dbmhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I’m going to say is I trust someone who’s made a career out of training athletes. In all sports, we are just more cautious than ever in preventing injuries from progressing further than necessary. Also, it’s preseason. No need to risk anything at this point. The players and team will be fine.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always believed that athletes today trains way to much.  Your body needs time to rest and I don't believe the athletes today do that.  I think you would see injuries go down if the athletes would just test properly and take a couple of months off after the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I have always believed that athletes today trains way to much.  Your body needs time to rest and I don't believe the athletes today do that.  I think you would see injuries go down if the athletes would just test properly and take a couple of months off after the season.

That and the specializing so early.  My buddies and I all played 3 sports and were rarely almost never injured.  The few guys I knew that played D1, one in basketball and the other tennis both played at least one other sport.  And I don't remember them ever being injured either.  To me, multiple sports is cross conditioning.  I wonder what the data says on injuries over the last 20 years.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That and the specializing so early.  My buddies and I all played 3 sports and were rarely almost never injured.  The few guys I knew that played D1, one in basketball and the other tennis both played at least one other sport.  And I don't remember them ever being injured either.  To me, multiple sports is cross conditioning.  I wonder what the data says on injuries over the last 20 years.  

I know it is different but I use to work at the Honda factory.  Each person had two different jobs on the assembly line.  You would do one job for 2 hours and then break.  After that you did another job for two hours.  You did the same thing after lunch.  They thought it was better because they felt if you did the same job for 8 hours you would hurt yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is different but I use to work at the Honda factory.  Each person had two different jobs on the assembly line.  You would do one job for 2 hours and then break.  After that you did another job for two hours.  You did the same thing after lunch.  They thought it was better because they felt if you did the same job for 8 hours you would hurt yourself.

That’s interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

That’s interesting. 

One of my jobs were to screw in the air bag in your steering wheel. It had a  kick to it and it jerked your wrist and elbow... If you did that all day you could injure yourself.

Edited by IU Scott
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's training them for a career in the UFC not in basketball.  Look at the thighs on Jordan.  Like a 1980s Jean-Claude Van Damme.

EeIKeMsWAAETYh3.jpg

You don’t become a more explosive athlete by having less muscle on your body. That just doesn’t happen. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who think these injury issues are because of Marshall are clueless and just going off the old stupid rumor that lifting and basketball is bad. If anything the injuries would probably be worse without all the training that Marshall does with them. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

That and the specializing so early.  My buddies and I all played 3 sports and were rarely almost never injured.  The few guys I knew that played D1, one in basketball and the other tennis both played at least one other sport.  And I don't remember them ever being injured either.  To me, multiple sports is cross conditioning.  I wonder what the data says on injuries over the last 20 years.  

I'm pretty sure I've seen studies saying that playing multiple sports is better than concentrating on a single one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have always believed that athletes today trains way to much.  Your body needs time to rest and I don't believe the athletes today do that.  I think you would see injuries go down if the athletes would just test properly and take a couple of months off after the season.

Many years ago I heard Pete Rose talking about this.  He felt players needed a "little fat" to cushion their muscles and bones.  He pointed to two things: todays finely tuned players could never play the way he did without getting injured (head first flying slides & collisions) and cited how guys like Eric Davis at the time had no body fat and were amazing athletes but got injured often.

I also think sometimes players just aren't as tough at playing through aches and pains like they used to be - particularly at the professional level (I have no proof of that).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Many years ago I heard Pete Rose talking about this.  He felt players needed a "little fat" to cushion their muscles and bones.  He pointed to two things: todays finely tuned players could never play the way he did without getting injured (head first flying slides & collisions) and cited how guys like Eric Davis at the time had no body fat and were amazing athletes but got injured often.

I also think sometimes players just aren't as tough at playing through aches and pains like they used to be - particularly at the professional level (I have no proof of that).

You say not as tough, I say not as stupid. 
 

Playing through ‘aches and pains’ for a meaningless secret scrimmage, or even a lot of regular season games, doesn’t serve the player or team well long term. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You say not as tough, I say not as stupid. 
 

Playing through ‘aches and pains’ for a meaningless secret scrimmage, or even a lot of regular season games, doesn’t serve the player or team well long term. 

What was the song? “Glory Days”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Many years ago I heard Pete Rose talking about this.  He felt players needed a "little fat" to cushion their muscles and bones.  He pointed to two things: todays finely tuned players could never play the way he did without getting injured (head first flying slides & collisions) and cited how guys like Eric Davis at the time had no body fat and were amazing athletes but got injured often.

I also think sometimes players just aren't as tough at playing through aches and pains like they used to be - particularly at the professional level (I have no proof of that).

Yeah….I’m not sure Pete Rose is the person I’d be listening to in this area. Haha. 

Playing through aches and pains exasperates injuries. I’d venture to guess that kids being forced to push through these aches and pains at younger ages may be the reason their more injury prone in adulthood. Maybe I’m old but the amount of training kids do these days is pretty crazy (this coming from a coach). The only athletes I knew who trained to this degree when I was young were elite gymnasts. And I bet if you know one of these gymnasts now who were able to stay in the sport past 12 years of age, their bodies are messed up and they’ve probably had one or more surgeries. 

I also don’t doubt that Cliff teaches proper mechanics when it comes to lifting, but I do wonder what muscle imbalances these kids bring in with them from high school. I’m at my high school every night and I cringe every time I step in the weight room. Unsupervised kids lifting heavy weight with horrible mechanics. Some couldn’t not even get into the a proper (for example) squat stance because they lack the mobility and flexibility. 

I’m also a huge advocate for kids to play multiple sports. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, DC2345 said:

People who think these injury issues are because of Marshall are clueless and just going off the old stupid rumor that lifting and basketball is bad. If anything the injuries would probably be worse without all the training that Marshall does with them. 

So Indiana has just been unlucky?  I mean other schools have weight training and conditioning programs as well, but don't appear to be as snakebit by injuries as we have been over the past decade.  

I think there is a place for the training, it happens in every program...but the injury bug to key pieces is just a constant with this program.

Edited by IUCrazy2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So Indiana has just been unlucky?  I mean other schools have weight training and conditioning programs as well, but don't appear to be as snakebit by injuries as we have been over the past decade.  

I think there is a place for the training, it happens in every program...but the injury bug to key pieces is just a constant with this program.

It happens in every program. Indiana fans just think it happens to them more. Just like Colts fans, Pacers fans and so on. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It happens in every program. Indiana fans just think it happens to them more. Just like Colts fans, Pacers fans and so on. 

Tom Izzo said he would’ve won 7 more championships if it weren’t for injuries.

*I just made that up, but he probably thinks it. Haha. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So Indiana has just been unlucky?  I mean other schools have weight training and conditioning programs as well, but don't appear to be as snakebit by injuries as we have been over the past decade.  

I think there is a place for the training, it happens in every program...but the injury bug to key pieces is just a constant with this program.

So was it Marshall's fault that Scott May broke his arm or Allan Henderson tore his knee up.  How about when Evans and Reid shoulders kept popping out.  Injuries happen everywhere but we only hear about our favorite teams 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

they probably would have beat Turdue in those 7 FFs if it weren't for injuries either.

Izzo immediately came to mind because one of those times Archie beat him, he used injuries as an excuse at the press conference. I just remembering it bugging me because we were just as (if not more) decimated by injuries in that particular game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...