Why so many injuries?

Saw that we had to cancel one of those secret practices with Cincinnati because we had too many players that are banged up.  Why do we seem to have so many injuries every year?

I see a bunch of people pointing the finger at Marshall.  All that strength and conditioning is useless if the guys miss a bunch of court time.

I think you would be right under Archie's time...too much emphasis on strength, not conditioning (running).

Under Woody, I've heard a bunch of players make the comment "we're getting after each other".  I think this year, they are practicing harder than ever, and hence the nit-pik injuries. You can bet Woody is getting everything he can out of them in practice.

There is still 3 weeks left until the 1st game. We should be fine by then. (I hope)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Saw that we had to cancel one of those secret practices with Cincinnati because we had too many players that are banged up.  Why do we seem to have so many injuries every year?

I see a bunch of people pointing the finger at Marshall.  All that strength and conditioning is useless if the guys miss a bunch of court time.

He's training them for a career in the UFC not in basketball.  Look at the thighs on Jordan.  Like a 1980s Jean-Claude Van Damme.

EeIKeMsWAAETYh3.jpg

Edited by dbmhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I’m going to say is I trust someone who’s made a career out of training athletes. In all sports, we are just more cautious than ever in preventing injuries from progressing further than necessary. Also, it’s preseason. No need to risk anything at this point. The players and team will be fine.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I have always believed that athletes today trains way to much.  Your body needs time to rest and I don't believe the athletes today do that.  I think you would see injuries go down if the athletes would just test properly and take a couple of months off after the season.

That and the specializing so early.  My buddies and I all played 3 sports and were rarely almost never injured.  The few guys I knew that played D1, one in basketball and the other tennis both played at least one other sport.  And I don't remember them ever being injured either.  To me, multiple sports is cross conditioning.  I wonder what the data says on injuries over the last 20 years.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That and the specializing so early.  My buddies and I all played 3 sports and were rarely almost never injured.  The few guys I knew that played D1, one in basketball and the other tennis both played at least one other sport.  And I don't remember them ever being injured either.  To me, multiple sports is cross conditioning.  I wonder what the data says on injuries over the last 20 years.  

I know it is different but I use to work at the Honda factory.  Each person had two different jobs on the assembly line.  You would do one job for 2 hours and then break.  After that you did another job for two hours.  You did the same thing after lunch.  They thought it was better because they felt if you did the same job for 8 hours you would hurt yourself.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is different but I use to work at the Honda factory.  Each person had two different jobs on the assembly line.  You would do one job for 2 hours and then break.  After that you did another job for two hours.  You did the same thing after lunch.  They thought it was better because they felt if you did the same job for 8 hours you would hurt yourself.

That’s interesting. 

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen studies saying that playing multiple sports is better than concentrating on a single one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have always believed that athletes today trains way to much.  Your body needs time to rest and I don't believe the athletes today do that.  I think you would see injuries go down if the athletes would just test properly and take a couple of months off after the season.

Many years ago I heard Pete Rose talking about this.  He felt players needed a "little fat" to cushion their muscles and bones.  He pointed to two things: todays finely tuned players could never play the way he did without getting injured (head first flying slides & collisions) and cited how guys like Eric Davis at the time had no body fat and were amazing athletes but got injured often.

I also think sometimes players just aren't as tough at playing through aches and pains like they used to be - particularly at the professional level (I have no proof of that).

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Many years ago I heard Pete Rose talking about this.  He felt players needed a "little fat" to cushion their muscles and bones.  He pointed to two things: todays finely tuned players could never play the way he did without getting injured (head first flying slides & collisions) and cited how guys like Eric Davis at the time had no body fat and were amazing athletes but got injured often.

I also think sometimes players just aren't as tough at playing through aches and pains like they used to be - particularly at the professional level (I have no proof of that).

You say not as tough, I say not as stupid. 

Playing through ‘aches and pains’ for a meaningless secret scrimmage, or even a lot of regular season games, doesn’t serve the player or team well long term. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yeah….I’m not sure Pete Rose is the person I’d be listening to in this area. Haha. 

Playing through aches and pains exasperates injuries. I’d venture to guess that kids being forced to push through these aches and pains at younger ages may be the reason their more injury prone in adulthood. Maybe I’m old but the amount of training kids do these days is pretty crazy (this coming from a coach). The only athletes I knew who trained to this degree when I was young were elite gymnasts. And I bet if you know one of these gymnasts now who were able to stay in the sport past 12 years of age, their bodies are messed up and they’ve probably had one or more surgeries. 

I also don’t doubt that Cliff teaches proper mechanics when it comes to lifting, but I do wonder what muscle imbalances these kids bring in with them from high school. I’m at my high school every night and I cringe every time I step in the weight room. Unsupervised kids lifting heavy weight with horrible mechanics. Some couldn’t not even get into the a proper (for example) squat stance because they lack the mobility and flexibility. 

I’m also a huge advocate for kids to play multiple sports. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, DC2345 said:

People who think these injury issues are because of Marshall are clueless and just going off the old stupid rumor that lifting and basketball is bad. If anything the injuries would probably be worse without all the training that Marshall does with them. 

So Indiana has just been unlucky?  I mean other schools have weight training and conditioning programs as well, but don't appear to be as snakebit by injuries as we have been over the past decade.  

I think there is a place for the training, it happens in every program...but the injury bug to key pieces is just a constant with this program.

Edited by IUCrazy2

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So Indiana has just been unlucky?  I mean other schools have weight training and conditioning programs as well, but don't appear to be as snakebit by injuries as we have been over the past decade.  

I think there is a place for the training, it happens in every program...but the injury bug to key pieces is just a constant with this program.

It happens in every program. Indiana fans just think it happens to them more. Just like Colts fans, Pacers fans and so on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So was it Marshall's fault that Scott May broke his arm or Allan Henderson tore his knee up.  How about when Evans and Reid shoulders kept popping out.  Injuries happen everywhere but we only hear about our favorite teams 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

they probably would have beat Turdue in those 7 FFs if it weren't for injuries either.

Izzo immediately came to mind because one of those times Archie beat him, he used injuries as an excuse at the press conference. I just remembering it bugging me because we were just as (if not more) decimated by injuries in that particular game. 

• Like 1