Why so many injuries?

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So was it Marshall's fault that Scott May broke his arm or Allan Henderson tore his knee up.  How about when Evans and Reid shoulders kept popping out.  Injuries happen everywhere but we only hear about our favorite teams 

Exactly. People are mentioning the injuries IU has had over the last decade, well IU has had about 3 different S&C Coaches over that time period, so how does this fall at Cliff Marshall's feet?

Does anyone actually have any evidence that IU is more snakebitten than any other program?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. People are mentioning the injuries IU has had over the last decade, well IU has had about 3 different S&C Coaches over that time period, so how does this fall at Cliff Marshall's feet?

Does anyone actually have any evidence that IU is more snakebitten than any other program?

Everyone acts like this is new to IU and that is why I brought up all of those past injuries

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Everyone acts like this is new to IU and that is why I brought up all of those past injuries

I just don't get this constant criticism of our S&C Coach.  No one has ever presented any data to demonstrate any problems and I certainly cannot see any pattern.  What exactly is to be accomplished criticizing our coaching staff with no data?  And if you really belive there is a problem, then one would have to also believe that CMW is incompleent in managing this staff.  

So again, just show me the data before you post to complain. I'm not interested in publicly denegrating any of our staff without some proof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

I just don't get this constant criticism of our S&C Coach.  No one has ever presented any data to demonstrate any problems and I certainly cannot see any pattern.  What exactly is to be accomplished criticizing our coaching staff with no data?  And if you really belive there is a problem, then one would have to also believe that CMW is incompleent in managing this staff.  

So again, just show me the data before you post to complain. I'm not interested in publicly denegrating any of our staff without some proof.

Exactly, by criticizing Marshall baselessly, we’re also saying Woody doesn’t know what he’s doing by keeping Clif around. Clif also trained Xavier’s team prior to coming to IU. I’m fairly certain they weren’t snake bitten. 

On 10/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, dbmhoosier said:

He's training them for a career in the UFC not in basketball.  Look at the thighs on Jordan.  Like a 1980s Jean-Claude Van Damme.

EeIKeMsWAAETYh3.jpg

Looks more like lighting, instagrammy filters, and flexing than actual ooooh transformation.  His doesn't even have kneecaps in the left pic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So was it Marshall's fault that Scott May broke his arm or Allan Henderson tore his knee up.  How about when Evans and Reid shoulders kept popping out.  Injuries happen everywhere but we only hear about our favorite teams 

Why are you bringing up 25+ year injuries?

I am aware that injuries happen everywhere, the question is whether or not they happen here more.  And it may not all be Marshall, we had a rash of concussions during the Miller era as well.  And maybe it is just the hyper focus on our own team, but I cannot think of another time I heard a program cancelling one of these deals to "get healthy" a month before the season starts.

33 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am aware that injuries happen everywhere, the question is whether or not they happen here more.  And it may not all be Marshall, we had a rash of concussions during the Miller era as well.  And maybe it is just the hyper focus on our own team, but I cannot think of another time I heard a program cancelling one of these deals to "get healthy" a month before the season starts.

There was also the Bahamas and HH where we had at least 3 guys held out of both.  Now we canceled the secret scrimmage due to injuries.  Not a good start.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:58 AM, IUCrazy2 said:

So Indiana has just been unlucky?  I mean other schools have weight training and conditioning programs as well, but don't appear to be as snakebit by injuries as we have been over the past decade.  

I think there is a place for the training, it happens in every program...but the injury bug to key pieces is just a constant with this program.

Yeah, last time this was mentioned in another thread/post (I was a part of the discussion) there were a few "you're not a trainer so you have no idea what you're talking about" replies. I believe one person mentioned the old wives tale about basketball and lifting not mixing, the other part of the thread raised legitimate questions because a lot of the players seemed to have very similar back injuries.  I don't really mind the blowback, but why can't we question this part of the program like any other? Last time I checked, most on the forum haven't coached or recruited in the Big Ten either, but those aspects of the program are regularly questioned. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am aware that injuries happen everywhere, the question is whether or not they happen here more.  And it may not all be Marshall, we had a rash of concussions during the Miller era as well.  And maybe it is just the hyper focus on our own team, but I cannot think of another time I heard a program cancelling one of these deals to "get healthy" a month before the season starts

No, I don't think it happens anymore here than anywhere else.  We just pay attention to our own team more than we do others.  The Ravens had 3 rb's on IL before the season even started

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No, I don't think it happens anymore here than anywhere else.  We just pay attention to our own team more than we do others.  The Ravens had 3 rb's on IL before the season even started

Football is a little more high impact than basketball though...particularly at the NFL level.

All I know is that a couple of years ago there was a ton of complaints about the fact that we were weak inside and couldn’t muscle up to the bigs that our competition had. I am ecstatic that we are finally going to have guys who won’t be pushed around and can stand toe to toe with the big guys in the conference.

if having a minor setback or two is the price to pay for not being outmuscled in a physical conference, I am all for it 

• Like 1

I don't understand the hand wringing about "injuries". We have no idea of the extent or seriousness of any of these "injuries". They could just be normal nagging things that plaque teams and Coach Woodson wants to be sure that everyone is 100% for the start of the season. And if that means cancelling a meaningless scrimmage, then so be it. I'm sure this coaching staff knows what they are doing. And I am sure if there was any suspicion that the Strength and Conditioning coach was causing excess injuries to a team that he would be gone in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I will also remind everyone the team is also doing a lot of work around flexibility with yoga being a consistent piece of their workout regiment.  When you go hard 365, injuries are going to occur.  My guess is the Cincy scrimmage was more caution than anything.  Let the players rest a bit before hitting the season opener.