MSU Post Game Thread

KDB

14 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Congratulations, Scott.  I don't happen to agree with you.

Disagree with what, that we had two straight good seasons by IU standards.  I am 51 and IU has probably had 10 seasons in those years that have been good.  Until I see IU being more than a 7 or 8 win team I will be skeptical.

Waaaay too many Chicken Littles around here tonight. 

Many thought this year might be a tough one to duplicate last year’s success, given the schedule. No one thought Penix would be as gun shy as he has been.

The difference between IU and programs who are consistently good is depth. I think CTA is there with defensive depth, but we have a way to go on offense. Hopefully his last couple of recruiting classes will help rectify that.

For all you doom and gloom guys. What has Rutgers, Maryland and Minnesota shown you to believe we can’t beat them? I mean, really. Are you that much of a fair weather fan that you really believe we won’t win another game? Personally, I think we’ll beat all 3, lose to OSU and Michigan, and then fight like hell to beat the Toiletmakers and qualify for a bowl game 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Waaaay too many Chicken Littles around here tonight. 

Many thought this year might be a tough one to duplicate last year’s success, given the schedule. No one thought Penix would be as gun shy as he has been.

The difference between IU and programs who are consistently good is depth. I think CTA is there with defensive depth, but we have a way to go on offense. Hopefully his last couple of recruiting classes will help rectify that.

For all you doom and gloom guys. What has Rutgers, Maryland and Minnesota shown you to believe we can’t beat them? I mean, really. Are you that much of a fair weather fan that you really believe we won’t win another game? Personally, I think we’ll beat all 3, lose to OSU and Michigan, and then fight like hell to beat the Toiletmakers and qualify for a bowl game 

I hope you are right. And I would rather not be in that position with purdont.  But every time both teams come in at 5-7 it's such a joy to ruin their bowl opportunity.  

I am so tried of our offense losing these games for us! Can’t score in the red zone can’t go a game without a pick six! How many points can you lay directly at the offensive feet!

A pick six , then another interception at lead ,I believe to another! Not sure touch down are field goal, but either way that’s 10 or 14 of their 20 points! 
We need a line coach an a OC! Next year !!!!

Edited by OLDIUFAN

7 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I am so tried of our offense losing these games for us! Can’t score in the red zone can’t go a game without a pick six! How many points can you lay directly at the offensive feet!

A pick six , then another interception at lead ,I believe to another! Not sure touch down are field goal, but either way that’s 10 or 14 of their 20 points! 
We need a line coach an a OC! Next year !!!!

Our offense had scored more points for our big ten opponents than than they have scored for IU.

15 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I know you have heard the old football saying. Your team takes on the personality of your line play . our d line has seen steady improvement under coach allen. The o line has gone soft. Very soft. The perfect marriage was wilson and Allen. Tom needs to find his wilson. lol

He did. He's coaching Fresno. 

watching the game again on FS1 replay. I am telling you we did not fool the MSU D one time with our play calling. I mean they were there waiting on us. We couldn't even leak a tight end out one time down on the goal line. Either we are very very vanilla or our booth upstairs is bugged or these games are scripted play by play. I have never seen anything like it. 

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Sheridan, but the real issue is I don't know how you really assess how he's doing as a coordinator.

Right now, in my opinion our problems break down into these percentages:

70% O-Line

20% QB

5% dropped passes

5% play calling (but what would the play calling look like with an effective offensive line?)

I think Hiller is likely done after this season.  Allen has showed he will make changes if they are needed, and I think this has become obvious as a change that needs to be made.  The biggest problem we have is that our playbook is extremely limited because we can't block ANYTHING that takes longer than 2-3 seconds to develop or the qb gets sacked, and we can't reliably open any holes on running plays.

A lot of people are criticizing Sheridan as a play caller, but I think he deserves more criticism with how the qb's are performing.

I think Penix came back too early and was battling to get mentally into the game, but with two qb's having the same interception problems, it's becoming somewhat of a trend this year.  And to be clear, the interceptions yesterday weren't good defensive play or batted ball interceptions, they were full-on "what are you doing?" ball-thrown-right-to-the-defender type throws.

There are so many problems with the offense right now, it's really more difficult to find a place where there isn't a problem. Yes the offensive line is atrocious, but there are ways for Sheridan to protect them some, for example, if you can't block, run more creative quick hitter passes, run more screens and let your tight ends help, run more creative draws, throw more RPO action out there, and for the love of God use the middle of the field once in awhile. Give different looks! Second, we run tons of meaningless motion, which seems to have no point at all. It certainly doesn't look like it's being run to help identify man or zone. For example, when we do put someone in motion, it's often a WR that we bring behind the RB. Most times this WR is completely out of the play altogether because it takes so long to bring him out that wide that the opposing team is already to our QB. It is painfully predictable. Third, Carr seems like a good back who is constantly getting hit in the backfield. But look closer, the guy has no leg churn, no leg fight. Watch some of his carries yesterday. If he gets hit low, he has a complete inability to recover. It is very easy to take his legs out. He struggles to run through anything. Fourth, and this has happened for years, our receivers and evidently our plays include way too many 50/50 balls. I think back to Nick Westbrook and how I it always seemed to me that every pass thrown his way when he was here was a 50/50 ball. I thought then he would never play in the NFL because he couldn't get himself open. But miraculously I see him open now and running good routes. So this tells me one of a few things, either this is simply the plays we run, our WRs are just not good and run terrible routes, or the WRs are not coached well on route running. And finally, which I may get crucified for, our two best quarterbacks are a freshman not getting much run right now because he's a freshman, and the other having been out for the season with an injury. And the reason that I consider them our best QBs is that given all of our other options on offense, their abilities to RPO with really good arms (at least in HS), give us the best chance to make something from nothing. 

Edited by HoosierBrit64

16 hours ago, btownqb said:

What 2nd rate bowl did we play in that we got embarrassed in? 

We (apparently, as I recall) were upset about the game we ended up in - most on here seemed to feel we got shafted by the bowl committee (otherwise if the outback bowl is a first-rate bowl why all the bitching?).

We looked outmatched down by 2 touchdowns.  Remember the game thread for that game?  Desperate comeback aside who was satified with that game.

Too many jumped on a mirage wagon last season, IMO.  

14 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

We (apparently, as I recall) were upset about the game we ended up in - most on here seemed to feel we got shafted by the bowl committee (otherwise if the outback bowl is a first-rate bowl why all the bitching?).

We looked outmatched down by 2 touchdowns.  Remember the game thread for that game?  Desperate comeback aside who was satified with that game.

With much of the team returning, two or three notable transfers, better incoming freshmen, and the hope/expectation that players were improving/developing, I certainly joined the wagon.  I knew the schedule was tough, but thought we were truly farther around the corner of turning the program around.  Injuries, poor coaching, poor play calling, lack of depth now shows me we only had a peak around that corner.  We still have a long way to go to turn it.  So, yeah...I guess I'm a fair weather fan when I think we may not win another game this season.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

A lot of people are criticizing Sheridan as a play caller, but I think he deserves more criticism with how the qb's are performing.

I think Penix came back too early and was battling to get mentally into the game, but with two qb's having the same interception problems, it's becoming somewhat of a trend this year.  And to be clear, the interceptions yesterday weren't good defensive play or batted ball interceptions, they were full-on "what are you doing?" ball-thrown-right-to-the-defender type throws.

I've thought that too. Even last year in the game Penix got hurt, he was making almost every throw off his back foot. He looked really bad in that game (6-19 for 84 yards thru 2.5 quarters). This year I'm sure has been tough with Penix not 100% all offseason, but that's why college coaches make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. They're paid to figure out the tough things. Penix obviously made terrible decisions and terrible passes this year. Then Tuttle comes in and is making some of the same crazy passes and poor decisions.

We're last in the country at interceptions thrown per game, and you could put together a pretty good blooper reel of those interceptions. Almost all of them have been terrible passes/decisions.  At this point, we might be better off finding a "bacon and legs" wildcat package and running that about 50% of the game. At least it wouldn't give the other team free points.

1 minute ago, rico said:

We somehow need to overcome our OL problems with some "refreshing" play calling.  We need some "trickeration."  

Exactly. When the OL is bad, you need to be more creative, not less creative. I thought we tried a few things early yesterday, but the final 3 quarters was basically the same stuff we do every game. No McCulley, no creativity. Just the same runs, short passes, and the occasional prayer downfield.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

We played in a Jan 1st bowl lol there's nothing 2nd rate about that. Game threads are jokes. In basketball and football. 

We got ZERO prep because of Covid and lost by less than a TD.. embarrassing? No. 

So during a off week our coaches evaluate the the position they coached! I didn’t see where we were any better. 
Defense was awesome! I don’t think our offensive coaches have a clue how to get us where we need to be! 
Hate them all you want an I do ,but Purdue took Iowa to the woodshed after their extra week to prepare! 
Does anyone believe our offense can really be good! I drink the koolaid but I’ve be puking it up! They have not shown me anything! 

7 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

So during a off week our coaches evaluate the the position they coached! I didn’t see where we were any better. 
Defense was awesome! I don’t think our offensive coaches have a clue how to get us where we need to be! 
Hate them all you want an I do ,but Purdue took Iowa to the woodshed after their extra week to prepare! 
Does anyone believe our offense can really be good! I drink the koolaid but I’ve be puking it up! They have not shown me anything! 

Hard not to feel like that. A mobile QB would change things, at least, some.