Northwestern Postgame Thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No, I'm saying Pomeroy has been way off for multiple games, and he has. His formula is what it is.

He was off on Minnesota when his formula was factoring Minnesota at full strength.

He was way off this afternoon.

I guess...that qualifies as multiple games. But he wasn't way off on PSU or Wisconsin.

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we can all agree that we are rooting for mom on this one.  Can you imagine four years of Romeo?  

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

What's that old line ?  What Momma wants....Momma gets?   Yes hope that is the case in this instance.

Yes I always thought that too. However, when the Garlands came to Hoosier Hysteria and was reported DGs Mom was crying crocodile tears, I thought DG would commit to IU.. Needless to say I was a little disappointed. So, I'm hoping, in this case, Mama Langford wins out!!!!

Getting away from Romeo, for a moment...... at least a half dozen other IU targets were in attendance at AH for the game against Northwestern.  No doubt....in my mind that they had to take in to attention..... the chant for Romeo became in the stands.   If that does not say that Hoosier fans.... know and love Hoosier  kids.... than I don't know what else does.

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yes I always thought that too. However, when the Garlands came to Hoosier Hysteria and was reported DGs Mom was crying crocodile tears, I thought DG would commit to IU.. Needless to say I was a little disappointed. So, I'm hoping, in this case, Mama Langford wins out!!!!

Yes.  I thought that... about Garland's mom... as I was typing. Still feel most of the time.... momma gets what momma wants.... most of the time.  At least that has been the case in my family.  LOL

16 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

He was off on Minnesota when his formula was factoring Minnesota at full strength.

He was way off this afternoon.

I guess...that qualifies as multiple games. But he wasn't way off on PSU or Wisconsin.

What is your point? Do you really think Kenpom's formula has been accurately tracking IU? His formula clearly over-weighs outliers, whatever man. Iowa, now at 87. Nebraska, now at 81. And on and on. Look up his formula, apply it.

Another really strong effort. The defense was the best it’s look, and was really fun to watch. Yes, NW is a bad shooting team, but just watching our rotations and how hard guys were helping/hedging and recovering was impressive. Also nice to see a game where our best player has early foul trouble and we still grind out a half time lead. 

As others have said, Newkirk and RoJo were both really good, I think Durham played really good D, and nice to see Smith get back on track a bit. Of course, Morgan was great in the second half. 

Really need to find a way to win both Illinois and UMD, and then steal one from @MSU, Purdue, OSU, MSU games. 

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What is your point? Do you really think Kenpom's formula has been accurately tracking IU? His formula clearly over-weighs outliers, whatever man. Iowa, now at 87. Nebraska, now at 81. And on and on. Look up his formula, apply it.

I don't have to apply it...he applies it to every game for me to easily look up. Stats are stats man. Northwestern is the only recent game that anyone can have qualms with.

Who really cares about the Kenpom game predictions?  They don’t have any bearing on the outcome of the actual game, and I would be surprised if they’re much more accurate than flipping a coin to predict which team will win any given game.  Same goes for ESPN’s dumb BPI game predictions.

The NCAA recently said they were looking into using kenpom in their tourney selection.  Not sure if they will but I remember them saying that least year.  Honestly he is pretty good on his stats.  Picking winner by what is iffy at best anywhere.  And they ranking is probably closer right now.  Watch us raise fast when/if we beat some actual good teams.  A weak Minn PSU and NW isn't going to move is much.  Although the 20 point win should help.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Getting away from Romeo, for a moment...... at least a half dozen other IU targets were in attendance at AH for the game against Northwestern.  No doubt....in my mind that they had to take in to attention..... the chant for Romeo became in the stands.   If that does not say that Hoosier fans.... know and love Hoosier  kids.... than I don't know what else does.

I was trying to figure out what other recruits were in attendance.. have a list?

Can't believe the game Robert Johnson had. Stepped up and made shots when we needed. But since he gets ripped on a consistent level on this and other IU boards I'll say this. RoJo trailed Scottie Lindsey most of the game. Lindsey who averages 14+ went 1-15 from field, 0-7 from 3, 2 total points...could go on and on. Hats off to Robert. Considering that McRoberts and Juwan were taken out of the game 120 seconds in....kudos to him for holding down the fort as well as Newkirk.

Reiterate what others said. Can't believe how much better our offense looked with Morgan. Spacing, cutting, passing...I felt like we scored on 4 of first 5 possessions in 2nd half and rolled from there. Mcintosh was a non factor (again) in Assembly Hall. 

Tied for 3rd with important game at East Lansing Friday. Let's keep this thing rolling. 

Edit-one other thing I wanted to mention that doesn't get a ton of discussion. Freddie McSwain gave us valuable minutes and at least from section of the couch on the North Side of Indy his defense and deny entry pass down low to multiple bigs from Northwestern was really well done.

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Can't really share with you.... at this time.... as to where this is coming from.  However.... things have taken a dramatic upturn in terms of Romeo.  Not just this game. But this game really helped. 

Can you share what did or didn't happen to cause this upturn? Or if it caused an upturn why we were low to begin with? If you can't I understand. This seemed to come out of nowhere (much like his unofficial yesterday). Thanks for any additional intel you can share. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you share what did or didn't happen to cause this upturn? Or if it caused an upturn why we were low to begin with? If you can't I understand. This seemed to come out of nowhere (much like his unofficial yesterday). Thanks for any additional intel you can share. 

Yes would love to know if you’re able to share mile!

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2 hours ago, hoosierfan615 said:

Yes would love to know if you’re able to share mile!

Easy......  Because IT's IU!!!!!

This game was IU's best defensive game since their victory over UK in NCAAT about 2 years ago.
 The defense had been getting gradually better, but this game was a quantum leap.  They were very physical on defense and just took NW out of what they wanted to do.  I hope IU can keep the D at this level and continue to improve.

I don't post much, but thought I would share that I was at the game yesterday and a scout from the Bulls was sitting next to us.  I didn't talk to him, but he seemed to be watching Morgan as well as McIntosh from NW.  I also found it humorous when he seemed to get peeved when my girlfriend glanced over while he was making some notes.

EDIT - wow, just noticed after posting that this is my first post on this incarnation of HSN

11 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Thanks for the link. It's refreshing to see this comment from Franklin, an instate recruit. 

“The new coach is a good coach. The players have to get used to him so that’s why there’s ups and downs. It’s a rebuilding year.”

I've been saying all along that Romeo would not be a one and done.  But, I think it's unrealistic to think he'll be anywhere 4 years.  Keep in mind that many good students with the right credits from high school and some solid summer classes are able to obtain a degree in 3 or fewer years.

Archived