Jump to content

Preparedness.


mrflynn03
 Share

Recommended Posts

Stock up on essentials. Water, food, propane, gas, firewood, charcoal..ect

First aid supplies. Water purification kits. I was an eagle scout candidate so I can take care of my troop. 

If you don't have a a supply of guns and ammo you are 10 years too late. 

Everyone needs to understand what is coming.  

I really hope I'm wrong.  

 

 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Stock up on essentials. Water, food, propane, gas, firewood, charcoal..ect

First aid supplies. Water purification kits. I was an eagle scout so I can take care of my troop. 

If you don't have a a supply of guns and ammo you are 10 years too late. 

Everyone needs to understand what is coming.  

I really hope I'm wrong.  

 

 

You been watching "Doomsday Preppers" again?  LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Curious as to what you are anticipating.  Obviously a breakdown of our infrastructure.  But would the cause be related to the pandemic, political unrest, or something else.

If Collin Powell can go down from complications from covid, I could see Biden going down from complications with a toothache.  

That would spark some fires that would require guns, ammo, food, water, generators, small malitias to protect you and your loved ones.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If Collin Powell can go down from complications from covid, I could see Biden going down from complications with a toothache.  

That would spark some fires that would require guns, ammo, food, water, generators, small malitias to protect you and your loved ones.  

So you are saying another "Civil War?"

Actually, we seem to be having those kind of actions going on right now.  The country has some serious issues that are dividing us.  That being said I always worry about our monetary system.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, rico said:

So you are saying another "Civil War?"

Actually, we seem to be having those kind of actions going on right now.  The country has some serious issues that are dividing us.  That being said I always worry about our monetary system.

Not much you can really do if it collapses....hyperinflation and any money you have will be worthless...in or out of the bank. Basically be ready to live off the grid, source your own food and power, and have lots of tradable commodities. Banks fail...everything fails...because your money would be worthless and thus any commodities you would want to buy would be unaffordable along with water and power. 

I think we are going to see continued inflation through 2022 at the minimum. Prices are going to continue to go up and many items will become more scarce. If you need specific items to get by (I'm not saying horde but some people require a special diet or OTC medications or needs for their family members) I'd say slowly build a good backup and locking in prices now as opposed to waiting I'm afraid cost of most things will continue to rise. I'm not predicting doomsday lol....but I do think we are set to see something similar to the late 70's and early 80's over a short term. I do believe markets will adjust but we are definitely going to feel some pain for awhile. Hopefully better decisions will limit the duration but at the moment...afraid I don't see those being made.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

If Collin Powell can go down from complications from covid, I could see Biden going down from complications with a toothache.  

That would spark some fires that would require guns, ammo, food, water, generators, small malitias to protect you and your loved ones.  

I always liked and respected Colin Powell.  But, he was 84 years old with a compromised immune system due to cancer.  84 year old people die.  Neither of my parents made it to that age.

As far as Biden, I have never believed that he will make it through his term. And, if he doesn't, the American people need to let the process run its course.  

Vote to initiate change.  Accept the results whatever they are.  Any other course of action leads to self-destruction, and that applies to both individuals and society as a whole.

There is a common ground.  That's what MOST people want.  That's where the country will thrive.  That's where we need to be.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rico said:

So you are saying another "Civil War?"

Actually, we seem to be having those kind of actions going on right now.  The country has some serious issues that are dividing us.  That being said I always worry about our monetary system.

I have no idea what will cause it.  I read last week the average American family will pay $2100 more in inflation for 21.  There is just ao much craziness in the system right now, i dont think it would take much to blow the whole system up.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Listened to a really interesting episode of The Daily on the supply chain crisis this AM.  Lots of little actions (the part about just-in-time manufacturing is wild) building to severe shocks to the global system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/podcasts/the-daily/supply-chain.html

All I can do is smh about the situation and think about all the "out sourcing" we have done with manufactured goods that we rely on.  Biting us in arsz right now.  Pitiful.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Listened to a really interesting episode of The Daily on the supply chain crisis this AM.  Lots of little actions (the part about just-in-time manufacturing is wild) building to severe shocks to the global system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/podcasts/the-daily/supply-chain.html

This is a prime example of why I love The Daily. A non-biased, comprehensive explanation of the issue. They do a good job of explaining how complex this problem really is. A lot of this is the exact info I'm being relayed by my suppliers. 

11 minutes ago, rico said:

All I can do is smh about the situation and think about all the "out sourcing" we have done with manufactured goods that we rely on.  Biting us in arsz right now.  Pitiful.  

Unfortunately, this will not change. The blame is squarely on us, the American consumer. We want our crap cheap and it's too expensive to make or warehouse it here. Even if a company wanted to, we don't have the infrastructure to make it here anymore. I assure you the average consumer may want to do the righteous thing and buy American, but when push comes to shove they'd rather save a few more bucks. And the huge companies our 401k's are invested in would rather make a few more bucks. This mutual beneficial transaction has been going on for more than 30 years. This would be like trying to stop a freight train without brakes going down a hill. 

As Jeff Tweedy sings...

And that's not wrong or right
But you can struggle with it all you like
You'll only get uptight

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Logistics is a major issue that is likely to only get worse. We have seen social unrest in various places, and to varying degrees, over the past few years. Inflation is going to have an effect in various areas. The issue I'm concerned about is energy. We have seen CA (wildfires) and TX (cold winter) experience problems. The UK just had a gas shortage. FL has hurricanes. The push for green energy has happened too fast and the current infrastructure cannot support it. Heating bills are expected to be up 50%+ this winter.  Stockpiles of coal, natural gas and oil are all being depleted. I just saw today someone predicting $200/bbl oil. I can't see that happening but the reality is supplies are tight and that results in higher prices. When it results in shortages, rationing, and/or outages it is too late. I agree with @mrflynn03 that people should be prepared . To what extent is the big unknown. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Curious as to what you are anticipating.  Obviously a breakdown of our infrastructure.  But would the cause be related to the pandemic, political unrest, or something else.

Im mostly thinking right of the supply chain issues and energy supply. Part of it pandemic related but another is policy. Saw where part of the reason ships can't get unloaded in California is because of a bill that was passed last year won't allow older rigs to operate in the state.  So not enough trucks to ship goods. 

Look at the store shelves in places that are not policing shoplifting.  If wholesale panic happens again I'm not sure resupply could keep up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not much you can really do if it collapses....hyperinflation and any money you have will be worthless...in or out of the bank. Basically be ready to live off the grid, source your own food and power, and have lots of tradable commodities. Banks fail...everything fails...because your money would be worthless and thus any commodities you would want to buy would be unaffordable along with water and power. 

I think we are going to see continued inflation through 2022 at the minimum. Prices are going to continue to go up and many items will become more scarce. If you need specific items to get by (I'm not saying horde but some people require a special diet or OTC medications or needs for their family members) I'd say slowly build a good backup and locking in prices now as opposed to waiting I'm afraid cost of most things will continue to rise. I'm not predicting doomsday lol....but I do think we are set to see something similar to the late 70's and early 80's over a short term. I do believe markets will adjust but we are definitely going to feel some pain for awhile. Hopefully better decisions will limit the duration but at the moment...afraid I don't see those being made.

Well said. When I thought of the topic I was thinking of supply chain issues and inflation.  For non perishables buy cheap stack deep. Fix you price now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

This is a prime example of why I love The Daily. A non-biased, comprehensive explanation of the issue. They do a good job of explaining how complex this problem really is. A lot of this is the exact info I'm being relayed by my suppliers. 

Unfortunately, this will not change. The blame is squarely on us, the American consumer. We want our crap cheap and it's too expensive to make or warehouse it here. Even if a company wanted to, we don't have the infrastructure to make it here anymore. I assure you the average consumer may want to do the righteous thing and buy American, but when push comes to shove they'd rather save a few more bucks. And the huge companies our 401k's are invested in would rather make a few more bucks. This mutual beneficial transaction has been going on for more than 30 years. This would be like trying to stop a freight train without brakes going down a hill. 

You're not wrong that we want cheaper stuff, but I believe over time, it WILL change.  Mostly due to the globalization of the economy.  As standard of living rises elsewhere, cost of wages go up, cost of shipping goes up, etc.  For many items imported in the past and now, it may eventually become cheaper to just produce those items here.  The smallest and most expensive items (think iPhones) are the most resistant to this trend, but it's already happening for some goods.  I think eventually, our leaders focus on the "stuff" we really need (think medical and military supplies) really needs to be made here for defensive or strategic purposes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're not wrong that we want cheaper stuff, but I believe over time, it WILL change.  Mostly due to the globalization of the economy.  As standard of living rises elsewhere, cost of wages go up, cost of shipping goes up, etc.  For many items imported in the past and now, it may eventually become cheaper to just produce those items here.  The smallest and most expensive items (think iPhones) are the most resistant to this trend, but it's already happening for some goods.  I think eventually, our leaders focus on the "stuff" we really need (think medical and military supplies) really needs to be made here for defensive or strategic purposes.

You may be right with the evolution of AI and 3D printers, but unfortunately I don’t think it will bring any manufacturing jobs with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...