Preparedness.

mrflynn03

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I did not. My step-dad had a few done. 

But that is still cool.  I applaud you my friend.

I had a neighbor when I was growing up that was in a group that did things the "pioneer" way.  I found it fascinating as well as educational.  I wish I would have paid closer attention to that kind of stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ive heard multiple talking heads ripping this apart today, so thank God some voices out there are speaking up and against this trash.  

My point in starting this thread was to inform people to have whatever food, water and preferred fuel sources for 2-4 weeks. 

I took a class in college and was on a team teaching this

https://www.ready.gov/cert#:~:text=The Community Emergency Response Team,organization%2C and disaster medical operations.

I naturally take it to the next level.

My point remains, every household should have 2-4 weeks of food supplies, first aid and water. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My point in starting this thread was to inform people to have whatever food, water and preferred fuel sources for 2-4 weeks. 

https://www.ready.gov/cert#:~:text=The Community Emergency Response Team,organization%2C and disaster medical operations.

My point remains, every household should have 2-4 weeks of food supplies, first aid and water. 

Living in Florida we always have that due to Hurricanes. But the past two years have trained me to just stay on top of all our needs and not just the basics if I want things to go smoothly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Living in Florida we always have that due to Hurricanes. But the past two years have trained me to just stay on top of all our needs and not just the basics if I want things to go smoothly. 

Knowing someone who has lived through hurricanes in South Florida, guns and ammo came in handy. Just saying. They lived in Hollywood, Florida....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I got a cousin that lives in Marathon.  There is a reason he still maintains a residence in Indiana...

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I have enough pork and beef in my two fridges and deep freeze I could keep this entire board fed for 2-4 weeks. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I got a cousin that lives in Marathon.  There is a reason he still maintains a residence in Indiana...

Oh no doubt. It would take a pretty bad one to get us to leave but that is always a possibility. Luckily my wife works for the govt so they would pay for our evacuation (hotel etc) Certainly makes sense...and as I spoke before love so much about growing up in Indiana so love it anytime we get to come home for visits/hunting trips.

2 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Curious to see if you would pick your fellow board members or your football squad?  :)  

Haha gotta go with my fellas!! But... most of them are hunters, anyway. I think they can fend for themselves lol 

I do have one or two players that are BIG time hunters. They fly out to Colorado on trophy hunts, etc. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Haha gotta go with my fellas!! But... most of them are hunters, anyway. I think they can fend for themselves lol 

I do have one or two players that are BIG time hunters. They fly out to Colorado on trophy hunts, etc. 

If you're truly in a situation where it comes to living off the land, fishing and hunting small game would be the way to go. Set a trap, cast a line and sit around. 

Big game is too much work and energy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If you're truly in a situation where it comes to living off the land, fishing and hunting small game would be the way to go. Set a trap, cast a line and sit around. 

Big game is too much work and energy. 

Agree. They've been doing that since they were born though lol 

One of my kids will just go take like a can of beans/chili.... grab his gun, knife, tent, other essentials and spend 2-3 nights out in the woods haha kid is ate up with it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

One of my kids will just go take like a can of beans/chili.... grab his gun, knife, tent, other essentials and spend 2-3 nights out in the woods haha kid is ate up with it. 

Impressive and a trait you don't see very often with today's youth.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Agree. They've been doing that since they were born though lol 

Man,when I was younger at that age and all the time I was either in school, on the field, in the gym, or in the woods. Of river,lake, creek. If I could catch it, shoot it, trap it, it made its way on my plate. 

I guess the wildest thing I did, during muzzleloader season, if it started to snow I would load my muzzy put on a long sleeve camo shirt, pair of pants and wool socks and spend the time stalking deer. It's much harder than you think but the cold never bothered me. Got a few that way.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:17 AM, rico said:

Impressive and a trait you don't see very often with today's youth.

Yep....as with most of us here. We went to school with a shotgun/rifle in gun rack in our truck everyday almost. Whether before or after school etc almost always in the woods if we weren't in the gym. Rabbits/Deer/Bass/Bluegill/Crappie. I especially liked hunting squirrel....not eating them though. I didn't have a steak from a cow until I was out of high school. Grew up on deer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yep....as with most of us here. We went to school with a shotgun/rifle in gun rack in our truck everyday almost. Whether before or after school etc almost always in the woods if we weren't in the gym. Rabbits/Deer/Bass/Bluegill/Crappie. I especially liked hunting squirrel....not eating them though. I didn't have a steak from a cow until I was out of high school. Grew up on deer.

Me and my dad fished those strip pits around Dugger quite a bit. Biggest crappie we ever caught came from there. 

I remember an assistant teacher I had in 6th grade bringing in muzzleloaders he built to school to show us. What a different world we live in. 

22 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Me and my dad fished those strip pits around Dugger quite a bit. Biggest crappie we ever caught came from there. 

I remember an assistant teacher I had in 6th grade bringing in muzzleloaders he built to school to show us. What a different world we live in. 

We took hunter and boating safety in the school. CO brought in guns to teach the class....but yeah different times for sure.

No doubt all the pits/lakes etc left behind by the mines...awesome (even great terrain for 4 wheeling)...done plenty of fishing on the white/wabash river for catfish/perch...many times just setting out trot lines even.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

We took hunter and boating safety in the school. CO brought in guns to teach the class....but yeah different times for sure.

No doubt all the pits/lakes etc left behind by the mines...awesome (even great terrain for 4 wheeling)...done plenty of fishing on the white/wabash river for catfish/perch...many times just setting out trout lines even.

My step-dad and I used to camp out on a sandbar on the Daviess, Knox county line. 

We ran trot lines and river nets and fished with poles using crayfish we seined out of creeks. 

I once reeled in a 54# flathead 

But from the nets and trot lines we fed people during Vacation Bible School and a big tent revival.  Not pentecostal,my church was southern Baptist.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My step-dad and I used to camp out on a sandbar on the Daviess, Knox county line. 

We ran trot lines and river nets and fished with poles using crayfish we seined out of creeks. 

I once reeled in a 54# flathead 

But from the nets and trot lines we fed people during Vacation Bible School and a big tent revival.  Not pentecostal,my church was southern Baptist.

That’s huge! Think the biggest we ever landed was just over 50. It was on a trot line….can’t imagine pulling it in on a reel!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

That’s huge! Think the biggest we ever landed was just over 50. It was on a trot line….can’t imagine pulling it in on a reel!

There is a picture somewhere. That thing was probably 4 ft long at least. 

Also caught a 30 ish lb white freshwater drum on a trip to Lake Cumberland. 

You want big fish, go for tarpon in the Florida Keys. Caught a few "babies" down there. 

Would love to do a deepwater trip for a truly big fish one day. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2