Preparedness.

mrflynn03

56 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Well we aren't allowed to talk about it, but lets hope we don't follow the Shanghai model............

I was going to give you a smiley but hearing about starving people jumping to their deaths is hardly funny. 

I'm hearing food prices will jump again mid summer and then again in the fall. Drought hurting wheat harvests, bird flu causing the death of 20 million chickens, stories of Walgreens running out of baby formula...  no shortage of bad news out there.

I just finished reading "The Changing World Order" by Ray Dalio.

A poor title, because it has nothing to do with the similar-sounding New World Order topic (which some call conspiracy theory).  Not related in any way. 

Instead, it's about the rise and fall of nations, as studied over the past 500 to 1000 years.

Briefly, he says China is ascending, the US is in decline, and a key tipping point will be if we lose the US dollar as the world's reserve currency.  That, tied with printing money to pay off debts (owed to China, btw), will have consequences.

He's not Doomsday.  He says we still have a terrific future if we make good decisions and act smartly.  He is apolitical.  Not right or left.  Just economics and history, with his interpretations. 

I'm not saying he's right.  But it's an interesting read.  I got it at the library.  Not paying $35 for it.  Those are my economics.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was going to give you a smiley but hearing about starving people jumping to their deaths is hardly funny. 

I'm hearing food prices will jump again mid summer and then again in the fall. Drought hurting wheat harvests, bird flu causing the death of 20 million chickens, stories of Walgreens running out of baby formula...  no shortage of bad news out there.

It's terrible. There's videos out there of Shanghai but I'm not allowed to share. 

4 hours ago, Madison22 said:

A poor title, because it has nothing to do with the similar-sounding New World Order topic (which some call conspiracy theory).  Not related in any way. 

Instead, it's about the rise and fall of nations, as studied over the past 500 to 1000 years.

Briefly, he says China is ascending, the US is in decline, and a key tipping point will be if we lose the US dollar as the world's reserve currency.  That, tied with printing money to pay off debts (owed to China, btw), will have consequences.

He's not Doomsday.  He says we still have a terrific future if we make good decisions and act smartly.  He is apolitical.  Not right or left.  Just economics and history, with his interpretations. 

I'm not saying he's right.  But it's an interesting read.  I got it at the library.  Not paying $35 for it.  Those are my economics.

Might have to pick this up, sounds real interesting - I am always a fan of the 10,000 foot/500 year horizon view.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Just in: Inflation is at 8.5%. Highest in 40 years.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

It's honestly gross. I go into the grocery store, into anywhere really.... and I look at the price of anything and think, shit I can barely afford this stuff. This isn't how its suppose to be.  

I've never been more embarrassed then I am right now with how poorly we have handled everything.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's honestly gross. I go into the grocery store, into anywhere really.... and I look at the price of anything and think, shit I can barely afford this stuff. This isn't how its suppose to be.  

I've never been more embarrassed then I am right now with how poorly we have handled everything.  

You and the Mrs. need to buy about a 40 acre farm!

10 minutes ago, rico said:

You and the Mrs. need to buy about a 40 acre farm!

Literally putting in a huge garden, started it this weekend. Told the farmer I want a whole hog and half beef this morning. Not playing around with the half hog 1/4 beef anymore lol I'm on my last bit of meat right now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Literally putting in a huge garden, started it this weekend. Told the farmer I want a whole hog and half beef this morning. Not playing around with the half hog 1/4 beef anymore lol I'm on my last bit of meat right now. 

Nice and don't forget to take up hunting and fishing.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They need to stop focusing on pronouns and figure out the the real problems this country is facing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rico said:

Nice and don't forget to take up hunting and fishing.

Neither of those will happen lol I just wasn't brought up doing it. I can see why all you guys love it though. I have two buddies headed out on the lake today. Said they were fishing every waking second today haha

One of my other friends is a huge fisherman. Headed to his place this weekend to grab about 15lbs of fish he has caught in the river. 

Me- have any fish I can buy?

Friend- No

Me- :( dang that sucks

Friend- I have some fish I will give you. You aren't paying me. 

Can't beat good friends. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Neither of those will happen lol I just wasn't brought up doing it. I can see why all you guys love it though. I have two buddies headed out on the lake today. Said they were fishing every waking second today haha

One of my other friends is a huge fisherman. Headed to his place this weekend to grab about 15 of fish he has caught in the river. 

Me- have any fish I can buy?

Friend- No

Me- :( dang that sucks

Friend- I have some fish I will give you. You aren't paying me. 

Can't beat good friends. 

Hell, I got family always asking for fish...

• Like 1

My wife likes to buy stuff with unique names for some reason...stuff, that it seems, never gets eaten...I've got a freezer and a pantry chock full of that kind of stuff...

So if worse comes to worse, I can start plowing into the couscous, kibbah, and risotto until that is exhausted...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Madison22 said:

15 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Might have to pick this up, sounds real interesting - I am always a fan of the 10,000 foot/500 year horizon view.

Highly recommend anything by Ray. Ray Dalio is an investing legend. A lot can be learned from him even if you never plan on investing yourself.

Here is a great video overview of his Principals- 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Good news is the experts expect this quarter to be the peak since it was last year at this time prices started rising and we will be going against easier comps moving forward. Gas prices are up the most over the past year- + 48%. Used vehicle prices may have peaked? Not a fan of the proposal coming out today to allow up to 15% ethanol in gas this summer. Due to high fertilizer costs, farmers are expected to plant more soybeans than corn this year. 34% of US corn already goes to ethanol. Now they want to increase the demand for Ethanol while supply is going down and drive prices even higher so motorists can save 10 cents per gallon? At a time when the world is careening towards a global food crisis? We should be lowering the Ethanol mix to allow more corn to be actually used for, well, corn. Lighten up the restriction for the oil and gas industry and we can have cheap fuel and cheap food. In the meantime, get ready to pay more for your Doritos!

28 minutes ago, Reacher said:

One more Ray Dalio video. This one on the economy and investing. I showed my kids at age 10 or 12. I think every high school should show this. 

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The concept of building wealth is extremely lacking in schools, and is sorely needed. 

Don't worry, we will teach your kids to graph a polynomial function, show them the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, and let them know that if their parents bitch enough... they can get their way. 

I can tell you right now, schools have no interest in teaching any of this. Competition is not seen as a "good" thing, but being "unique" sure is. We worry way too much about stepping on people's toes, when we should be worrying about bettering our students.

Some of it's parents. Some of it is p**** admin, some of it is BS govt policies. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2