Preparedness.

mrflynn03

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Don't worry, we will teach your kids to graph a polynomial function, show them the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, and let them know that if their parents bitch enough... they can get their way. 

Don’t worry, there are some of us out there picking up the slack. My 10 year old already has the basic understanding of what a stock is. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

I can tell you right now, schools have no interest in teaching any of this. Competition is not seen as a "good" thing

This used to be required reading.  A simple story about the value of work.  How an individual's choices make a difference in what a person gets out of life.  We read it aloud in class, as well as at home.

Is this even allowed in schools now?  I'm sure it offends someone.

https://shop.capstonepub.com/assets/1/14/DimLarge/9781404873636.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The concern has nothing to do with Trump... 

Oh trust me, I deal with this society on a hands on basis, daily.  We are screwed.  We spends billions or trillions,  IDK on education but yet we still have devolved.  We have oodles of information at our fingertips and yet so dumb. And the mental make up of this living generation is saturated with greed and selfishness, celebrated actually,  and we wonder what went wrong.  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Oh trust me, I deal with this society on a hands on basis, daily.  We are screwed.  We spends billions or trillions,  IDK on education but yet we still have devolved.  We have oodles of information at our fingertips and yet so dumb. And the mental make up of this living generation is saturated with greed and selfishness, celebrated actually,  and we wonder what went wrong.  

I have said forever that our greed keeps us from dealing with any of the hard problems we have as a society. If money can't be made off of a problem, then no one has any interest in solving it. The same thing goes for medical research. If you have a rare cancer you are screwed. No one is spending research money to treat that. No return on investment. Common cancers get the research money because there is a profit to be made. It's never about people, only about profits.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, cthomas said:

I have said forever that our greed keeps us from dealing with any of the hard problems we have as a society. If money can't be made off of a problem, then no one has any interest in solving it. The same thing goes for medical research. If you have a rare cancer you are screwed. No one is spending research money to treat that. No return on investment. Common cancers get the research money because there is a profit to be made. It's never about people, only about profits.

I saw this this week. 

Money is now more important to Americans than patriotism, religion, or kids, 'jarring' new poll finds

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

China and a few others are claiming be going off the dollar or something like that.  Musk has been warning about the weakness of the dollar, again, something like that.  

I've talked about it in the Is this 1936 again? thread. 

The BRICS countries: Brazil, Russia,India,China, and South Africa.  Basically, they want to move away from the petro dollar and trade oil in a currency of their creation.  Probably digital now. 

Couple that with China's colonization of Africa and their gobbling up rare earth minerals and owning most of the production capabilities of these minerals. China is positioning themselves to control most of the world's energy.  In addition to that, beginning to align themselves with Russia which is unheard of in history. 

In other words, we're probably screwed as a country.

But at least we're nice. /sarcasm

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've talked about it in the Is this 1936 again? thread. 

The BRICS countries: Brazil, Russia,India,China, and South Africa.  Basically, they want to move away from the petro dollar and trade oil in a currency of their creation.  Probably digital now. 

Couple that with China's colonization of Africa and their gobbling up rare earth minerals and owning most of the production capabilities of these minerals. China is positioning themselves to control most of the world's energy.  In addition to that, beginning to align themselves with Russia which is unheard of in history. 

In other words, we're probably screwed as a country.

But at least we're nice. /sarcasm

To go along with a biblical Russia/China/Iran alliance.  What about AI coming up with a calculation that humans need to be eliminated to save the earth and then hacking defense systems and nuking the earth?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

To go along with a biblical Russia/China/Iran alliance.  What about AI coming up with a calculation that humans need to be eliminated to save the earth and then hacking defense systems and nuking the earth?

I believe it's possible.  At some point AI will be able to code better and faster than humans. When we can't keep up anything could happen. 

Remember the movie I Robot? Look at the 80's and 90's action movies too. The Sixth Day, Gattica, Demolition Man, Minority Report for examples.  I really believe these movies are products of CIAs Operation Mockingbird and subliminally conditioning us for the future. 

Edit:  can't forget The Terminator!

Edited by mrflynn03

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I believe it's possible.  At some point AI will be able to code better and faster than humans. When we can't keep up anything could happen. 

Remember the movie I Robot? Look at the 80's and 90's action movies too. The Sixth Day, Gattica, Demolition Man, Minority Report for examples.  I really believe these movies are products of CIAs Operation Mockingbird and subliminally conditioning us for the future. 

Edit:  can't forget The Terminator!

At least Asimov put in the three laws and it still didn’t matter! Also besides the AI itself don’t ignore the human input to the development of AI, watch Ex Machina! We’re already seeing bias in ChatGPT

• Like 2