IU Beatdown of NW - and Game MVP

OK that was enjoyable.

D has been there, then O kicked in with shots dropping, but also with floor spread better, I like what Smith brings, solid game, and helped the overall O.

Thoughts on the game? :cheers:

MVP of Game?

- Rob 5-12 for 17, 6 boards, 3 assists to 1 TO

- Smith, 4-8 for 8, 5 boards, 1 block

- Morgan 4-4 for 8, 5 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal

- Newkirk, 3-6 and 4-4 from the line for 12, 3 boards, 2 assists

Special note to Green, off day offensively, 1-7, but 4 steals - contributing when the shot doesn't drop

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Morgan is the guy who blew it open. But it was nice to see one senior guard hit five threes and the other senior guard have a second straight really good game. 

Is Newkirk just a second half player? If he keeps this is we very well may finish top 5. 

It's one of those games I enjoy where there's definitely more than one answer.

Morgan picked up two quick fouls and gave us little in the first half in production. But on D we had a decent lead going into the half anyway. Morgan was great in the second. And he's always -- always -- at least solid.

17 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

How about the whole team?!  When's the last time we held a team under 50 that didn't come with frosting and a cream filling???

This is gold, and if not this beer is kind of golden. Lol 

I agree though. This was a team win.

A few other observations:I started watching just before the half , but caught it from the decisive stretch forward, after NU pulled within a possession. When they make a few 3's it let them settle in. It's a payoff for a defensive intensity level that provided opportunities. Several players hit 3's but Hartman and Rob's were huge. So was Hartman's feed on the and one to Morgan. It really seemed to take off from there.The lift came from mostly continuing to attack the rim. Newkirk jacked an early 3 in a possession, but otherwise they played out long shot clocks then cashed in.They did a great job of recognizing the separation on a lot of their cuts to the basket, especially in the 2nd half. It helped that Morgan was able to stay in the game and be a presence. McRoberts was a typical pest, which is awesome! The defense stayed locked in,and they made enough shorts to give us Priller time in January, in conference play. With the way this team has clunked at home, what could be better. Personally I'm greedy. I want a road win at MSU. That will likely require a combination of Michigan State playing poorly and IU playing out of their minds.They definitely need to hit the stripe because they'll need every point they can get in East Lansing..

For me.... it was Juwan.  He turned Northwestern on their ears.... at the start of the second half.  They had no clue what hit them.  After that, the IU offense returned....thanks to Juwan.... and it was only a matter of when the clock would run out, and what the final margin was going to be.

I agree that Juwan was the star of this game but have to give props to Moore for coming off the bench after a long sit and giving some good minutes when we needed them 

1 hour ago, Maud'Dib said:

i would have to say the MVP is the whole team defense.  really looked like a different team today.  

This.

Morgan spent the nearly the whole first half on the bench. Without great team D, we would not have had that lead. For that reason, he's not my MVP.

Defensively, the team gave a solid 40 minute effort. As Clark Kellogg said early, IU was on Northwestern tighter than Saran Wrap.  Everyone who was in in there played tough and gritty in your face defense. For the most part, without fouling.

RoJo would be my next choice for MVP. Hope he was getting warmed for MSU.

Rojo.  Played entire game.  Suffocating D on their best player.  Clutch 3's in 2nd half to key the run and ultimately the blowout.  Feel great for him.  He has taken a lot of criticism somewhat undeserved and just worked thru his problems and now producing as a senior should.

Archived