IU Women’s Basketball

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Teri Moren is probably the best coach at IU currently, regardless of program. 

12 hours ago, slojoe said:

Certainly the most successful.

Possibly. Although Ray Looze has a very good swimming program which has been consistently good with top 10 rankings for the men and top 25 for the women. He's also been one of the coaches selected for major international meets, like World Championships and the Olympics.

Todd Yeagley has had the soccer team doing really well. They had an off year this past season and still made the tournament and had a chance at the B1G title. He has 4 Final 4s and a National Championship.

Moren has done a great job turning the women's team from nobody to contender. She might be the best coach at IU but it isn't clear cut as there are some other very good coaches in some of the other programs. I wouldn't say she's the most successful at this point, though.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Possibly. Although Ray Looze has a very good swimming program which has been consistently good with top 10 rankings for the men and top 25 for the women. He's also been one of the coaches selected for major international meets, like World Championships and the Olympics.

Todd Yeagley has had the soccer team doing really well. They had an off year this past season and still made the tournament and had a chance at the B1G title. He has 4 Final 4s and a National Championship.

Moren has done a great job turning the women's team from nobody to contender. She might be the best coach at IU but it isn't clear cut as there are some other very good coaches in some of the other programs. I wouldn't say she's the most successful at this point, though.

I agree with just about all that  you have said. I will add that those other coaches have taken over programs that have had great success and the new coach has continued and built upon those programs. I think Moren is taking a program to new heights that have never been seen in the past for Women's basketball.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with just about all that  you have said. I will add that those other coaches have taken over programs that have had great success and the new coach has continued and built upon those programs. I think Moren is taking a program to new heights that have never been seen in the past for Women's basketball.

Yes, and I think I acknowledged that. The job she has done with the women's team is incredible. They were terrible when she took over and she's transformed them into a top 10 team, top 5 at one point. That's no small feat. Yeagley in particular had the benefit of taking over a strong program. While the swimming teams have a strong history, they weren't nearly as good when Looze took over but they still had that history to build on and weren't terrible.

These are the top 3 coaches at IU in my mind. The order in which they're ranked is debatable. So she's certainly one of the best, possibly the best, but I don't think it's clear cut.

It's good for the university to have enough great coaches that this can even be a conversation.

• Like 2

Teri has taken a program that was an after thought and basically lifeless and turned it into something very very special. I wish women's basketball wasn't so top heavy...there is usually only 3-4 teams capable of winning a championship....but she is putting us right up at the top of that next tier. Really hope we can establish us as the premier program in the B1G. That would be something. You just never know with the NCAA tournament....get a good draw...get a lucky bounce...who know!?  I will say the timing has been good. Very fertile grounds to recruit in with ND in transition...I'm happy we had the right coach in place to take over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I think you have to consider where the programs came from.  Men's swimming and soccer have long been national powers.  Women's basketball not so much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...