Archie Miller

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

No way.  Doesn't have the personality. 

Did you watch it?  He showed more personality in this than he ever did at IU.  Now, I still wouldn’t put him in a game as a color analyst, but he certainly would have a lot to offer in a studio.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Interesting.  From the comments in the story, he seems to be skeptical that Kopp will be a significant contributor. 

I took Archie's comments more that he thought Kopp left a good situation for him at Northwestern (he took the second most shots on the team last year and led by a wide margin the year before that). To be honest, I was surprised when I heard he was leaving too...

Maybe it was chemistry, maybe it was his relationship with Collins, or maybe he thought Chase Audige had supplanted him as "the man" for the Wildcats...but I think there was more behind his departure than meets the eye...

20 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Did you watch it?  He showed more personality in this than he ever did at IU.  Now, I still wouldn’t put him in a game as a color analyst, but he certainly would have a lot to offer in a studio.

Maybe he found his niche?  History has shown us that bad coaches can make great TV guys.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I took Archie's comments more that he thought Kopp left a good situation for him at Northwestern (he took the second most shots on the team last year and led by a wide margin the year before that). To be honest, I was surprised when I heard he was leaving too...

Maybe it was chemistry, maybe it was his relationship with Collins, or maybe he thought Chase Audige had supplanted him as "the man" for the Wildcats...but I think there was more behind his departure than meets the eye...

Maybe he wants to win and have a chance to play in the tournament. Maybe he knows what an honor it is to put on the candy stripes. He must be a pretty smart guy to gain admittance to Northwestern. Maybe he appreciates what the history of IU basketball represents and he wants to be some part of that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe he wants to win and have a chance to play in the tournament. Maybe he knows what an honor it is to put on the candy stripes. He must be a pretty smart guy to gain admittance to Northwestern. Maybe he appreciates what the history of IU basketball represents and he wants to be some part of that.

I agree with all that, and it would answer the question of why he came to IU...

I'm more perplexed about why he left the Wildcats...

8 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Hope he lands somewhere that he fits

It will be interesting to watch which direction Arch goes.  The guy landed one of the best jobs in the college hoops world and failed.  Where does he see himself 5,10, or even 20 years from now?  I dunno but I would have to believe there is a fire burning in him to prove he can win again on a big stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

It will be interesting to watch which direction Arch goes.  The guy landed one of the best jobs in the college hoops world and failed.  Where does he see himself 5,10, or even 20 years from now?  I dunno but I would have to believe there is a fire burning in him to prove he can win again on a big stage.

That's a hard one to call...not sure he'd ever want to be in another "fishbowl" like IU as he and his family both seem to dislike a spotlight that intense...

Maybe another P5 job, but one with lower expectations?

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That's a hard one to call...not sure he'd ever want to be in another "fishbowl" like IU as he and his family both seem to dislike a spotlight that intense...

Maybe another P5 job, but one with lower expectations?

Perhaps or he comes to like the TV gig?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Perhaps or he comes to like the TV gig?

Maybe, but he never seemed to like being on the other end of the mic...

Looking at the trend Juwan Howard and Mike Woodson are bringing to the B1G, I wonder if his system/persona fits in the bigger conferences...Maybe back to Dayton if Anthony Grant moves on...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe, but he never seemed to like being on the other end of the mic...

Looking at the trend Juwan Howard and Mike Woodson are bringing to the B1G, I wonder if his system/persona fits in the bigger conferences...Maybe back to Dayton if Anthony Grant moves on...

For sure.  If not Dayton maybe a MAC or MVC school?

Not that I wasn’t already worried about Purdue, but the analysis made me more worried. They are going to be really tough this year. Will also be interesting to see how Archies picks, OSU, does in crunch time.

Anybody notice there wasn’t one mention of Rutgers, Geo or Harper Jr.? 

Man, I can’t wait for bball to start back up. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

He'll get his chance but it will take time. I always go back to the Lickliter route. You want the P5 job and $ so badly....but your career can go sideways real quick. I think Archie will get another chance next year but to me he has to identify a region of the country that jives with his approach on/off the court. No nonsense. Grind it out...defense,etc...

I mean if Jeff Capel doesn't do anything this year I could see a school/region like Pitt be very enticing to Archie. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

He'll get his chance but it will take time. I always go back to the Lickliter route. You want the P5 job and $ so badly....but your career can go sideways real quick. I think Archie will get another chance next year but to me he has to identify a region of the country that jives with his approach on/off the court. No nonsense. Grind it out...defense,etc...

I mean if Jeff Capel doesn't do anything this year I could see a school/region like Pitt be very enticing to Archie. 

Brother Sean at Pitt?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Brother Sean at Pitt?

Could see it for sure if Sean doesn't get a ban beforehand....but who knows anymore. Sampson has reinvented himself and his team into a E8 contender each year....and Will Wade is still perusing the sidelines. Of course Louisville is still waiting for punishment for breaking rules while being on probation for breaking rules.

Who knows if Sean ever gets in trouble I guess is what I'm saying.

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Could see it for sure if Sean doesn't get a ban beforehand....but who knows anymore. Sampson has reinvented himself and his team into a E8 contender each year....and Will Wade is still perusing the sidelines. Of course Louisville is still waiting for punishment for breaking rules while being on probation for breaking rules.

Who knows if Sean ever gets in trouble I guess is what I'm saying.

So is will Wade getting off Scott free? Guy just keeps landing 5 stars…

Thought Archie was great on the podcast. Would make a better TV analyst than Dakich or Walton. 

Edited by Boiler Sam
  • Like 4