Archie Miller

3 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

So is will Wade getting off Scott free? Guy just keeps landing 5 stars…

Though Archie was great on the podcast. Would make a better TV analyst than Dakich or Walton. 

Maybe better than Walton. Like or hate Dakich you  cannot dismiss his knowledge of the game. Being with Knight for 16 years comes across on the broadcast. He knows basketball. For me listening to Miller talk about basketball is like talking to my accountant about basketball he knows the game but..... We have some great accountants on here don't take offense. My accountant is boring as can be

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Could see it for sure if Sean doesn't get a ban beforehand....but who knows anymore. Sampson has reinvented himself and his team into a E8 contender each year....and Will Wade is still perusing the sidelines. Of course Louisville is still waiting for punishment for breaking rules while being on probation for breaking rules.

Who knows if Sean ever gets in trouble I guess is what I'm saying.

I could definitely see Georgia pursuing Sean in the spring.  It's the SEC where if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.  Would be a good fit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

So is will Wade getting off Scott free? Guy just keeps landing 5 stars…

Though Archie was great on the podcast. Would make a better TV analyst than Dakich or Walton. 

No clue on Wade but so far he is. Lost a player yesterday though. Former Illini Adam Miller tore his ACL. Done for year.

Back to Archie though. One of the best thing young coaches can do is make sure they know how to make sure all parts of a school are on same page. AD, President and so on.....I think Archie jumped at Indiana without investigating Indiana. Most would do the same but he'll be wiser down the road for his time here.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe better than Walton. Like or hate Dakich you  cannot dismiss his knowledge of the game. Being with Knight for 16 years comes across on the broadcast. He knows basketball. For me listening to Miller talk about basketball is like talking to my accountant about basketball he knows the game but..... We have some great accountants on here don't take offense. My accountant is boring as can be

I agree, but I thought Dakich was better when he first started doing games a decade or so ago.

Now he’s trying to be the star of the show like Dickie V. (Archie would never have that problem obviously) 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That's a hard one to call...not sure he'd ever want to be in another "fishbowl" like IU as he and his family both seem to dislike a spotlight that intense...

Maybe another P5 job, but one with lower expectations?

A school like Pitt, Seton Hall, or St. John's would be perfect IMO.  I always see him as more of a city school coach.  Just has that old Big East feel about him.  Pitt would return him home as well. I feel those environments would bring his personality out more.  I always felt at IU he was trying to be a CEO instead of the ball coach he is.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2

It's weird when you hear fired coaches like Archie talk and realize that they're actually pretty smart and likeable.  I thought the same thing when Mike Davis was interviewed a few years ago.

Coaching at this level is really really hard, and for whatever reason, Archie just wasn't up to the task.  The best reason I can give is his offensive scheme just didn't work.  Perhaps non-coincidentally, it didn't work for his brother either in the last few years either.    

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 9:31 AM, IUCrazy2 said:

No sour grapes in there from him at all.  Wish the guy the best, for whatever reason, Indiana and Miller were just not a good fit for each other.

Archie is clearly a system coach and while he was here it always felt like he was chasing 5 stars rather than focusing on guys who fit his system.   Hopefully it works out better for him at his next gig. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Archie is clearly a system coach and while he was here it always felt like he was chasing 5 stars rather than focusing on guys who fit his system.   Hopefully it works out better for him at his next gig. 

Interesting take.  And yes, hope it works out better at his next gig.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'll agree that Archie is a "system coach" but disagree with the latter part of your statement.

Initially he got "stuck" with 2 guys (Green, Smith) that aren't "system players" and a third, (Durham) who is, just not in the role (starter) we were forced into using him.

His first real class had Romeo (which any way you slice it was a big win for him), Hunter and Anderson, who were thought to be shooters, and Phinisee looked to be a good pure point guard project...I'll not go over the history as we all know it, but his classes were solid all along, I thought...we missed on Brooks, but that's its own story and it's possible we dodged a bullet there anyway...

Looking back, I do think Archie had problems developing players, and I think a part of that was that his system was too restrictive to some of the players he was depending on...to the point it took a toll on their confidence...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll agree that Archie is a "system coach" but disagree with the latter part of your statement.

Initially he got "stuck" with 2 guys (Green, Smith) that aren't "system players" and a third, (Durham) who is, just not in the role (starter) we were forced into using him.

His first real class had Romeo (which any way you slice it was a big win for him), Hunter and Anderson, who were thought to be shooters, and Phinisee looked to be a good pure point guard project...I'll not go over the history as we all know it, but his classes were solid all along, I thought...we missed on Brooks, but that's its own story and it's possible we dodged a bullet there anyway...

Looking back, I do think Archie had problems developing players, and I think a part of that was that his system was too restrictive to some of the players he was depending on...to the point it took a toll on their confidence...

I always maintained that Arch should have changed his "system" to fit his players...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I always maintained that Arch should have changed his "system" to fit his players...

I agree with that, especially in today's college game. Even Coach Knight changed his philosophy when he started trusting Isiah Thomas to play somewhat outside of his system...

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think I can say confidently that had Kelvin Sampson had the same players Archie had for those 4 years he would've won a lot of games and would still be the coach here.  Assuming no off the court issues of course.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 10/23/2021 at 6:34 AM, Blazin Hazin said:

It's weird when you hear fired coaches like Archie talk and realize that they're actually pretty smart and likeable.  I thought the same thing when Mike Davis was interviewed a few years ago.

Coaching at this level is really really hard, and for whatever reason, Archie just wasn't up to the task.  The best reason I can give is his offensive scheme just didn't work.  Perhaps non-coincidentally, it didn't work for his brother either in the last few years either.    

Scheme-wise his defense had some holes, also.  It's very hard to learn, vulnerable to the 3, and too passive off the ball (can't play passing lanes much in this D).

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Scheme-wise his defense had some holes, also.  It's very hard to learn, vulnerable to the 3, and too passive off the ball (can't play passing lanes much in this D).

I mean...was he running a different version of the pack line that Virginia runs?  Executed right, that one is pretty effective.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, IUFLA said:

I took Archie's comments more that he thought Kopp left a good situation for him at Northwestern (he took the second most shots on the team last year and led by a wide margin the year before that). To be honest, I was surprised when I heard he was leaving too...

Maybe it was chemistry, maybe it was his relationship with Collins, or maybe he thought Chase Audige had supplanted him as "the man" for the Wildcats...but I think there was more behind his departure than meets the eye...

Maybe he wants to win.

• Like 1