Noteworthy article on Indiana high school athletes

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Three high school athletes died of sudden cardiac arrest. Their moms are fighting back. To get all schools AED . I know your school has then because I was on the committee to look into it many years ago

I was on my phone, originally, and it was making me download an app to read the article. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Didn't realize not all schools had them. 

Doesn't make sense. I was on the track my Senior year when a runner from KY died at our school. Don't know if AED would have helped but back then it was not an option. Was in the Columbus North gym when Big John Stewart passed. Those things stick with you forever 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I was on my phone, originally, and it was making me download an app to read the article. 

That's actually one of the better news apps.  Aggregates a lot of local sources in addition to the usual national ones.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

In 2011 Wes Leonard (Fennville, Michigan) scored the game winning basket and as he celebrated with his team he collapsed on the sidelines. CPR was started immediately by paramedics and he was immediately rushed to the hospital. Unfortunately he died about an hour later. The school had an AED on site but it was in the office and not charged. 

An autopsy was performed and it was determined that the young man died of an enlarged heart. There is a high probability that he could of survived if the AED had been used on him. Wes, was a phenomenal athlete and had a bright future. I was fortunate to be able to officiate a couple of his games and I was really impressed with him. In football he set a couple of MHSAA records his junior year. 

That particular year I did not register to do the state tournament because I would be in Tennessee during districts. I got a call from the MHSAA while I was in Tennessee asking me if I could cover for another official the following week, which I agree to do. The official I was going to cover for was the paramedic who administered CPR on Wes. Fennville's next game was moved the fieldhouse at Hope College due to the anticipated crowed size and media coverage after the young man's passing. The MHSAA moved the official who was the paramedic to do Fennville's next game for his efforts in trying to save Wes's life. In the game I covered both teams had Wes's number on their jersey and a prayer and moment of silence was done before game time. It was a very somber experience. 

If you Google Wes's name you can see the stories about him. The good do die young!

R.I.P. Wes!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1