OSU @ IU game thread

Reacher

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am going to callyself a hypocrite tonight because I did something tonight that I have criticized IU fans for years.  I left a game at halftime tonight and thought I would never do that.  My son was ready to leave and wanted to go home and see his daughter.  We were drenched and I wasn't happy with our effort tonight.  The main reason I didn't mind leaving was the obnoxious OSU fan who was getting on all the IU fans. At dinner at Buffa Louises we set with two OSU fans and they were as nice as you could be. I had heard about how bad OSU fans can be but these two were great but the one at the game showed me the bad side.

I did not expect a win but was disappointed that we didn't at least compete better.  I know it really hurt losing Tuttle but our defense had no answers for OSU offense.

I think it is time to get your young offensive players in the game and get them experience for next year.  With the schedule and the injuries this season is off the rails so go young and get them the needed experience.

I just hope the excitement around the program doesn't go away because of this season.  It is a lot easier to lose the support than to increase the support.

I won't quit this program same with our beloved basketball program.

Been a diehard since my earliest memories.

Like marrying a woman. You stick with IU for better or worse and it's been a hellava ride. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I didn't notice him in there but that was good. Since you coach can I ask you why IU subs their WR's in and out after every other play.  To me it would be hard to get into a rhythm coming in and out so much.  I noticed a few times on first down they didn't have their top 3 receivers in and also had the backup RB in ad well.

Because if you're playing a 4q game.. you have to have them rested. We there is also certain things we will do with each sub package. It makes the defense prepare for multiple things... or that's the idea behind it. 

Rhythm isn't really a factor because their subbing is way they practice. That's what they're used to. 

This season has been super disappointing. Not like I'm going anywhere though. been following IU football since 1987. Which that season we were one game from going to the Rose Bowl and Lorenzo White shredded us. I remember watching that game but overall I was too young to appreciate IU being in that kind of position. So last season was super special to me having mostly suffered through bad football for about 30 years.

As long as our recruiting stays on the uptick, we'll be fine. Still can go to a bowl this season even with the rough start and schedule. I'm sure Coach Allen will re-evaluate certain assistant coaching needs *ahem*. 

But in the present moment, yeah all the air has leaked out of my balloon. Let's unleash all the frustration on the box turtles next week. 💪😎🍻

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I won't quit this program same with our beloved basketball program.

Been a diehard since my earliest memories.

Like marrying a woman. You stick with IU for better or worse and it's been a hellava ride. 

I will still be watching next week.  I have been a fan for my whole life and keep coming.  I have witnessed an 0-11 season and many 2 and 3 win seasons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because if you're playing a 4q game.. you have to have them rested. We there is also certain things we will do with each sub package. It makes the defense prepare for multiple things... or that's the idea behind it. 

Rhythm isn't really a factor because their subbing is way they practice. That's what they're used to. 

I didn't notice OSU taking their best out all the time.  I know you can't compare the two units because OSU is so talented.

I think OSU is probably the best team in the country and didn't expect a win.  I look at IU and to me the biggest difference between us and teams like OSU is both lines.  It is obvious our OL is in shambles and there is not much talent for us at the OL position.  I also don't see much pass rush from the front 4 on defense and to get any presser we have to blitz.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't notice OSU taking their best out all the time.  I know you can't compare the two units because OSU is so talented.

The other thing is..... we are trying to recruit guys.. more and more guys. "Hey at IU we will play 6 or 7 WRs a game" yodda yodda that sort of thing. 

Getting on the field at OSU, Bama, UGA, Clemson you have to be so ungodly talented. 

Saying this in the most respectful tone possible... you are sort of arguing two different things with this and asking for younger dudes to play more.... you can't expect them to just boom start a younger guy and them play them 85% of the game, but then also ask why we sub so much, right? 

At RB.. thats just a s*** show with so many guys quitting and then FR Howland and Holloman just now getting healthy. 

WR.. Marshall limited, but serviceable in certain spots. Fryfogle grossly under performing, Mathews going down was massive. Then a whole slew of guys that.. eh.. Brown bailed. Swinton and Hewitt disappoints so far, but drastically impacted by OL/QB/ issues. 

TE- Hendershot is a stud. He owes TA a lot though for sticking up for him. I like that position group a lot with Barner/Steinfeldt and others coming. 

OL- I just.. shew. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I do understand what you're saying though. 

I think ultimately... we do things certain ways, other teams do things certain ways. 

You fold your clothes one way, I fold mine another type thing? If that makes sense. 

I think OSU is probably the best team in the country and didn't expect a win.  I look at IU and to me the biggest difference between us and teams like OSU is both lines.  It is obvious our OL is in shambles and there is not much talent for us at the OL position.  I also don't see much pass rush from the front 4 on defense and to get any presser we have to blitz.

51 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Probably down to 3rd an 4th string QBs! We have the weakest offensive line in the league don’t see us scoring much the rest of the year! 

Get creative.  Against Wisconsin last year, they revamped the O for one game.  Go back to the pistol, etc.  Name of the game is to also score.  It would also help if special teams can provide more field protection.