OSU @ IU game thread

Reacher

After their loss to Oregon, OSU is running one of, if not the best, offenses in the history of college football.

There's absolutely nothing to be gleaned from this game outside the fact that our offensive and defensive lines are far from CFP quality, which we already knew.

OSU's average points and average yards went down (albeit slightly) with last night's game.  The first time we made them punt was the first time in 19 drives.  I don't think there's a team in the country that's going to stop them, including Georgia.

80% of our offensive game plan went out the window at the conclusion of the first drive of the game when Tuttle went down, and it was working better than it has thus far.  The last thing you want to do in that situation is kill your remaining qb's confidence by letting him get thrashed by the best team in the FBS, which is why you saw him in more limited action after that.

People calling for Allen to be fired have no idea what they're talking about or how coaching works at all.  And Allen isn't firing anybody in the middle of the season, especially when we have no one to insert in their position if we do.

I'm more embarrassed at some of our fans (particularly on another, nameless, site) than I am at our team's performance yesterday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Last year we were riding takeaways, good field position and a healthy confidence Penix.  Stevie Scott as a premier blocker and Whop as someone that can spread the field and demand attention.  

Last year our offense put the other team in positions where they had to be more aggressive throwing the ball. We could be much more aggressive on defense. This year, we're getting behind early, and the other team's offense can be a lot more conservative.

It would be great if we could get out to a lead and make the other team make some mistakes.

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Allen isn’t getting fired and it was Dolson. Some of the assistant coaches are in trouble especially on offense 

They had better be. Starting with the OC Nick 2nd and 13 and anyone who works with the O line.

I gave 5 linemen, some starters, a ride and they were laughing about the tutors writing their papers and doing their projects. One said said stop talking about that its against NCAA rules. That would get Tom Allen fired in a second.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

They had better be. Starting with the OC Nick 2nd and 13 and anyone who works with the O line.

I gave 5 linemen, some starters, a ride and they were laughing about the tutors writing their papers and doing their projects. One said said stop talking about that its against NCAA rules. That would get Tom Allen fired in a second.

LOL that happens everywhere in more sports than just football 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

After their loss to Oregon, OSU is running one of, if not the best, offenses in the history of college football.

There's absolutely nothing to be gleaned from this game outside the fact that our offensive and defensive lines are far from CFP quality, which we already knew.

OSU's average points and average yards went down (albeit slightly) with last night's game.  The first time we made them punt was the first time in 19 drives.  I don't think there's a team in the country that's going to stop them, including Georgia.

80% of our offensive game plan went out the window at the conclusion of the first drive of the game when Tuttle went down, and it was working better than it has thus far.  The last thing you want to do in that situation is kill your remaining qb's confidence by letting him get thrashed by the best team in the FBS, which is why you saw him in more limited action after that.

People calling for Allen to be fired have no idea what they're talking about or how coaching works at all.  And Allen isn't firing anybody in the middle of the season, especially when we have no one to insert in their position if we do.

I'm more embarrassed at some of our fans (particularly on another, nameless, site) than I am at our team's performance yesterday.

You should post more. This is very good. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Well to be fair it is not just this game, we have looked like crap most of the season. Two teams that we lost too that everyone excused because they were ranked in the top 10 just lost to Illinois and Purdue at home. Any momentum IU had from the last two seasons has went completely down the drain. Yes the Hoosiers have had a brutal schedule, but if you want to be one of the best teams in the league you have to show up in those games and at least win one or two of them. As for Allen getting fired, that isn't happening and shouldn't, but if this crap show goes into next season there needs to be some questions about his coaching and the hot seat needs to be warming up.

As for being embarrassed by some fans, i am more embarassed by the epic collapse of the Hoosiers football team this season. Fans can be passionate and some are idiots but i don't pay any attention to them because that is just how people are on the internet anymore.

Edited by Hoosier51

55 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Good post and I would add that their D line rotation is extremely strong. Some of their DT’s are total dynamos.  Powerful but athletic.  And young. 

11 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Again… listened to CTA’s post game with Don Fisher and obviously very disappointed, but could tell from his limited responses that he felt they had zero chance of winning that game after Jack went down. He said we hit a  buzz saw tonight and the rain didn’t help. IMO, If I were Sheridan or Hiller, I would be checking the wanted ads soon.

You know it's bad when you start using the weather as an excuse.....

Just sayin'

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would re-think the McCulley situation and preserve the redshirt.  That fifth year might be far more important than getting him exposure now.  Imagine him with 30 more pounds of muscle and a ton of work on passing.  He’s skinny now but he’s got that athletic arrogance you like to see.  

The chance of him staying 5 years are almost 0%. Redshirting isn’t what it used to be 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would re-think the McCulley situation and preserve the redshirt.  That fifth year might be far more important than getting him exposure now.  Imagine him with 30 more pounds of muscle and a ton of work on passing.  He’s skinny now but he’s got that athletic arrogance you like to see.  

I understand what you're saying, but our OL is going to be at best avg next year. McCulley needs to be the guy... let him get work this year. He has to have more and more game experience.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I agree on hitting the transfer Portal really hard!

Ay least at the OL position the transfers we have gotten hasn't worked.  We have Powell and the kid we got from UM this year and neither has really helped.  To me if a veteran OLineman is in the portal it is because he is not good enough.  If they are really good they would be play or they would be leaving for the NFL.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Ay least at the OL position the transfers we have gotten hasn't worked.  We have Powell and the kid we got from UM this year and neither has really helped.  To me if a veteran OLineman is in the portal it is because he is not good enough.  If they are really good they would be play or they would be leaving for the NFL.

Carpenter started at UM

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

So, if they aren't writing papers or doing projects, WTH are they doing? Certainly not learning how to play football, other than what they know from Madden 21

• Haha 2