Took my son to his first game at AH

First game thrills and experience are special. Hopefully he had a great time. Won't ever forget mine. March of 1988. Iowa vs IU. Infamous Jadlow game where he threw ball off of Hill's face. IU won big and not sure why I remember this but it was unseasonably warm in Bloomington that day. 70's. Thought it was so weird to be going to a hoops game when it was warm outside. Haha.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

First game thrills and experience are special. Hopefully he had a great time. Won't ever forget mine. March of 1988. Iowa vs IU. Infamous Jadlow game where he threw ball off of Hill's face. IU won big and not sure why I remember this but it was unseasonably warm in Bloomington that day. 70's. Thought it was so weird to be going to a hoops game when it was warm outside. Haha.

Damn, I was at that game!!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Damn, I was at that game!!!!!!!!

Senior day for Smart too. My sister was at IU the 4 years before me so we always chose one game per year we came down for. 1st game was great. 2nd game I attended not so much. Nick Anderson shot to win after Edwards hit the corner jumper to tie. Oh well. Can't win them all! Haha..

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My first game in AH was in the fall of 1986 and the first game of the year against Montana St and that year we went on to win the national championship. I remember Calloway went down with a knee injury that day and he had problems with that knee the rest of the year.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My first game in AH was in the fall of 1986 and the first game of the year against Montana St and that year we went on to win the national championship. I remember Calloway went down with a knee injury that day and he had problems with that knee the rest of the year.

Oh no, not Montana St -- enter Fouls....

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Same here (fall of '86, not necessarily Montana St). I was a freshman. Don't remember the opponent. Do remember leaving hoarse from all the yelling and thinking what a crazy atmoshere. Thought it was strange that everyone stood for the whole Purdue game that year. Think my seats were up high or in the balcony?

6 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Have been telling him that for years with tickets on me.  Football same story.....maybe one day?

Hold out hope for the dream. First Saturday in December. IU plays a home basketball game during the day and later head North on 37 to watch IU in Big 10 Championship game? If that happens. Tailgate is on me for all! 

my first game in AH was in 1975 vs. Iowa who had a player by the name of Bruce "Sky" King. His afro was so high that when he stood underneath the basket, it almost touched the net. 

Needless to say, IU won that game.

Scott, glad you were able to share this experience with your son. Hopefully, he gets hooked and becomes a fan for life.

Archived