Maryland game thread

15 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ll point out some positives. 

McCulley looked good. I could see him settle in. 

The OL seemed improved. Maybe that wasn’t the case, but it seemed to improve. 

Carr had some good runs. 2&5 is SO much different than 2&9-11. 

Losing Matthews and Ellis hurts. They were probably the two best play makers in space. 

Sounds like Mullen wasn’t 100% and Taylor was out. That’s a big hit to the secondary. 

Injuries have played a huge part in this season's results. Preseason rankings don't mean sh*t until games are played. Allen is the perfect guy for this team. Our schedule is brutal. Made some strides today on offense (finally) but the defense couldn't get off the field at the key moments. IU's normally reliable kicker missed a 40 yarder but made a 55 yard bomb. If we were a bit healthier we beat MSU and Maryland, and maybe even Cincy. But injuries are apart of the game and so will be transfers. This season sucks, but I like the effort and McCulley looks legit, very smooth and a good arm, he's just playing like a Freshman. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I've not been happy with this season either, but I think they're just looking for a scapegoat. Who could we get here that would be enough of an upgrade to make it worth firing Allen? There are FCS jobs that are better than this one. 

Their biggest problem is that they can't accurately interpret what they're seeing because they are, by and large, ignorant when it comes to football.  They're like the guy in The Waterboy saying, "We suck again!," when it's much more complicated than that.  I mean, I'm no football savant, but I also don't think it takes a rocket scientist to understand that the record is not necessarily because IU is a terrible team.

They think it's like basketball, where when you have one or two great players, you can turn around a program in a season, but turning a football team like IU into a bona fide contender year-in-year-out will take at least a decade, particularly when it comes to developing depth.  Our 1st string on D is stout, but go to the 2-3 deep, and you saw what happened today.

This season will be a minor setback on a steady upward trajectory, but they see it as IU returning to "form." 

The Big Ten East is historically good right now, one of our OOC opponents ended up being a top ten opponent, and we've had our top two corners out against probably the best two passing attack offenses we will play this season (outside WKU, but I digress).  It particularly hurt today because the offense had its best game of the season so far.

We've also been unlucky enough to play teams at the wrong time of the year.  Had we played Iowa and PSU these past two weeks, I feel pretty good about our chances of winning.  Both were legit top-ten good when we played them.

Add on to that the trouble we've had at the qb position and with the line, and it's been a rough year, but none of that has me down on this team.  McCulley is going to be really good (hell, he already is!), and I fully expect Allen to make the moves he needs to make in the offseason.

You know, they also talked a whole bunch of trash about him when he got hired, so right now it's probably also a bit of schadenfreude for them, too.  I think a lot of those posters would rather be "right" than have a good team, honestly. 

16 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

You know, they also talked a whole bunch of trash about him when he got hired, so right now it's probably also a bit of schadenfreude for them, too.  I think a lot of those posters would rather be "right" than have a good team, honestly. 

Not sure if it's the same crowd, but I remember how Bill Lynch was practically worshipped on that board. They'd ban people for being critical of him even after he was fired. 

22 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Their biggest problem is that they can't accurately interpret what they're seeing because they are, by and large, ignorant when it comes to football.  They're like the guy in The Waterboy saying, "We suck again!," when it's much more complicated than that.  I mean, I'm no football savant, but I also don't think it takes a rocket scientist to understand that the record is not necessarily because IU is a terrible team.

They think it's like basketball, where when you have one or two great players, you can turn around a program in a season, but turning a football team like IU into a bona fide contender year-in-year-out will take at least a decade, particularly when it comes to developing depth.  Our 1st string on D is stout, but go to the 2-3 deep, and you saw what happened today.

This season will be a minor setback on a steady upward trajectory, but they see it as IU returning to "form." 

The Big Ten East is historically good right now, one of our OOC opponents ended up being a top ten opponent, and we've had our top two corners out against probably the best two passing attack offenses we will play this season (outside WKU, but I digress).  It particularly hurt today because the offense had its best game of the season so far.

We've also been unlucky enough to play teams at the wrong time of the year.  Had we played Iowa and PSU these past two weeks, I feel pretty good about our chances of winning.  Both were legit top-ten good when we played them.

Add on to that the trouble we've had at the qb position and with the line, and it's been a rough year, but none of that has me down on this team.  McCulley is going to be really good (hell, he already is!), and I fully expect Allen to make the moves he needs to make in the offseason.

💯

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not sure if it's the same crowd, but I remember how Bill Lynch was practically worshipped on that board. They'd ban people for being critical of him even after he was fired. 

I got my walking papers from some idiot named SuperHoosier something in 2008 after we got beat 62-10. Haven't been back since. Only took IU's admin 2 more years to realize Coach Lynch (while a great/nice guy) was so in over his head...

Son of a gun we need more playmakers on the outside... 

Maryland literally put 7 dudes in the box all day.. and Matt Millen, who apparently hasn't watched football this millennium, doesn't understand that 7 people in the box is a "throwing" box... 

They singled up our 3 WRs w/1 safety deep. And we still ran for 200. 

Let's say for example they do that against OSU... OSU will literally throw for insane yards.. actually they did play (didn't even know that typing it orginally) and OSU threw for 432 yards and 5TDs lol and basically all of it was in 3qs. 

Threw run that defense against Simmie Cobbs he's 200 yards plus. 

Why can't Fryfogle win more one on one's? 

What we witnessed today was a defense that is beat up and beat down from trying to carry the team all year. I am not sure Indiana will ever have the depth for the offense or defense to singularly carry the team. Injuries was the enemy from the beginning with Penix not being ready and horrible O line play. Our speed guy goes down and horrible O line play. Best D backs get injured and horrible O line play. Injuries, from third string to starting, horrible O line play, horrible play calling and it all equals 2-6. a pipe dream, but we could get healthy enough to win? I would love to beat PU and Michigan's ass and call it a wrap. 

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

What we witnessed today was a defense that is beat up and beat down from trying to carry the team all year. I am not sure Indiana will ever have the depth for the offense or defense to singularly carry the team. Injuries was the enemy from the beginning with Penix not being ready and horrible O line play. Our speed guy goes down and horrible O line play. Best D backs get injured and horrible O line play. Injuries, from third string to starting, horrible O line play, horrible play calling and it all equals 2-6. a pipe dream, but we could get healthy enough to win? I would love to beat PU and Michigan's ass and call it a wrap. 

I'm with you, but I think you missed the horrible O line play.

• Haha 1

Not being an ass here, but its funny to watch the football fans complain about the exact same thing the basketball board does.

The refs are out to get us.
We have so many injuries we can't compete
We're in the toughest conference/division
We have no depth at [insert Position]
Our coaches are in over their head or don't make good calls/adjustments.

:D 

13 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not being an ass here, but its funny to watch the football fans complain about the exact same thing the basketball board does.

Well we are all IU fans and not just football or basketball fans or at least it should be that way.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would say all of that was on display today. I watched McFadden get tackled about 6 or 7 times while blitzing today. How many times today did Maryland get a pass interference called on them? 

First I didn’t watch the game! Saw we lost and had no interest to watch the tape ! 
just can’t get over how bad we are! Coach Allen has got to own this season  and how bad his assistant coaches or ! That is totally on him!, No more excuses, our coaches can’t fix anything and or over their heads! Maybe we beat Rutgers Maybe that’s all I see us winning! 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

First I didn’t watch the game! Saw we lost and had no interest to watch the tape ! 
just can’t get over how bad we are! Coach Allen has got to own this season  and how bad his assistant coaches or ! That is totally on him!, No more excuses, our coaches can’t fix anything and or over their heads! Maybe we beat Rutgers Maybe that’s all I see us winning! 

coach Allen has no problem taking the blame and has every week. Just as he had no problem winning the coach of the year award last year. 

51 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It's rinse and repeat on every forum, everywhere. Officiating was equally bad today both ways. Injuries and schedule are fairly obvious. 

The coaching is fine.. minus 1 or 2 of them. We made solid adjustments to move the ball more, there's just a cap on what they can accomplish. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's rinse and repeat on every forum, everywhere. Officiating was equally bad today both ways. Injuries and schedule are fairly obvious. 

The coaching is fine.. minus 1 or 2 of them. We made solid adjustments to move the ball more, there's just a cap on what they can accomplish. 

I know, just may me laugh a bit, jumping over here and seeing the same things.

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

I would say all of that was on display today. I watched McFadden get tackled about 6 or 7 times while blitzing today. How many times today did Maryland get a pass interference called on them? 

I feel like holding in general isn't being called as much this year. I have seen so many blatant holds go uncalled in a lot of different games.