Invisible loss.

Bad Brad

Regardless of whether they're a 'top 4' team,..the ubiquitous sentiment that 'Bama belongs shows how biased this whole process remains.  It's interesting that passing the 'eye test' 'overlooks' losing to an unranked team.  If Cincy or about anyone else suffered that fate except Georgia,..they would have never been mentioned again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bad Brad said:

Regardless of whether they're a 'top 4' team,..the ubiquitous sentiment that 'Bama belongs shows how biased this whole process remains.  It's interesting that passing the 'eye test' 'overlooks' losing to an unranked team.  If Cincy or about anyone else suffered that fate except Georgia,..they would have never been mentioned again.

Great take. The SEC needs to quit whining and win games.  A&M was unranked and struggling when they beat Bama.

Most Bama fans I know williningly concede Georgia is the much better team this year. Highly doubtful Bama wins that game except for injuries, or a "mandate" coming from SEC headquarters to lay down in an attempt to get 2 teams in the playoff. This isn't a typical Saban Bama team, and ESPN must do everything they can to campaign for them.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great take. The SEC needs to quit whining and win games.  A&M was unranked and struggling when they beat Bama.

Most Bama fans I know williningly concede Georgia is the much better team this year. Highly doubtful Bama wins that game except for injuries, or a "mandate" coming from SEC headquarters to lay down in an attempt to get 2 teams in the playoff. This isn't a typical Saban Bama team, and ESPN must do everything they can to campaign for them.

The fact remains that if the Tide wins out(including the SEC championship) they are in.  And if that happens then I would question UGA's resume.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

The fact remains that if the Tide wins out(including the SEC championship) they are in.  And if that happens then I would question UGA's resume.

Most likely true, but many games left to be played. Georgia defense is incredible,  but offense is suspect. Gonna be real hard to justify two 1 loss SEC teams getting in this year.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Most likely true, but many games left to be played. Georgia defense is incredible,  but offense is suspect. Gonna be real hard to justify two 1 loss SEC teams getting in this year.  

Not sure I'd question it....the parity this year in college football has been crazy....Georgia is the only team that has looked the part all year...and if they lost well then that would be hard to figure out who should be kept out. Cincy hasn't really impressed me and definitely not Oklahoma so everyone else is throw a dart and take your pick.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure I'd question it....the parity this year in college football has been crazy....Georgia is the only team that has looked the part all year...and if they lost well then that would be hard to figure out who should be kept out. Cincy hasn't really impressed me and definitely not Oklahoma so everyone else is throw a dart and take your pick.

As of today, Bama's top win is Ole Miss. The SEC west is trash this year, so nothing other than Georgia left. Cinci's best win is Notre Dame. Agree on the parity, therefore no single league should claim the dominance to get two 1 loss bids. The B1G is much stronger than the SEC this year.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

As of today, Bama's top win is Ole Miss. The SEC west is trash this year, so nothing other than Georgia left. Cinci's best win is Notre Dame. Agree on the parity, therefore no single league should claim the dominance to get two 1 loss bids. The B1G is much stronger than the SEC this year.

Georgia's best win?

24 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Based on what? Penn St beating Auburn at home? Not sure how you are going to make that arguement definitively. Big Ten's best win this year is a 5-3 team beating a 6-2 SEC team. The Alabama loss is bad only because at the time Texas A&M wasn't playing great football but they were suppose to be a top 10ish team this year and they look like they may be getting close to that again. The banner bearer in the conference lost at home to a PAC 12 team....albeit good team. MSU, Michigan haven't really played much of a schedule before playing each other...so again very hard to make any definitive statements about either conference. If you had a B1G v SEC challenge I'd put my money on the SEC....and yes even in a down year. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Dont blame Bama.  

Cincy has opportunities to blow out weak teams and isn't doing it.  

Oklahoma has looked like crap barely surviving their weak schedule as well.  If they win the next three then they deserve it and that'll be the end of discussion with Oklahoma.  

The rest of the teams in the hunt will all have their chance.  Win out and you give yourself a chance.  

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Bama can start doing a helluva lot better with the OOC scheduling.  

I'm sure they expected Miami to have been reloaded by now when they scheduled that out....or at least a #2 to Clemson in the ACC. When you typically play Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Florida in the same season you probably plus a likely matchup against Georgia....schedule isn't the problem. They just need to take care of business. They win out it's a moot point....no one will keep them out of the playoffs...if they lose then two they weren't going anyways.

Rules are made to be followed if you are a so called development program. Rules are made to be broken if you are a so called brand name. The league officials in all of these power 5 conferences will also change the rules to benefit the brand name programs. This has been proven to be fact. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Based on what? Penn St beating Auburn at home? Not sure how you are going to make that arguement definitively. Big Ten's best win this year is a 5-3 team beating a 6-2 SEC team. The Alabama loss is bad only because at the time Texas A&M wasn't playing great football but they were suppose to be a top 10ish team this year and they look like they may be getting close to that again. The banner bearer in the conference lost at home to a PAC 12 team....albeit good team. MSU, Michigan haven't really played much of a schedule before playing each other...so again very hard to make any definitive statements about either conference. If you had a B1G v SEC challenge I'd put my money on the SEC....and yes even in a down year. 

"The Alabama loss is bad only because at the time Texas A&M wasn't playing great football"

Oh, is that all.  They were supposed to be top 10 based on what? 

The B1G is 1-0 versus the SEC this year. Bowl games are a total crapshoot of who plays and who is motivated anymore.  Very sad.

My point is with parity, no conference automatically deserves half the playoff bids. Win your stickin conference and remove all doubt!

5 minutes ago, rico said:

That doesn't factor road games, it's based on composite team ranking and that's not whole season.  

I've googled, best i could come up with is what I linked.  Sagarin?  Espn index?  They both place high value to their whole season sos.  

So why should they play an even harder schedule that the rest of the nation if they are already concensus top 3 in 3 different ones, just not the one you linked? 

And im not saying their out of conference schedule is anything special.  

"The Alabama loss is bad only because at the time Texas A&M wasn't playing great football"

Oh, is that all.  They were supposed to be top 10 based on what? 

The B1G is 1-0 versus the SEC this year. Bowl games are a total crapshoot of who plays and who is motivated anymore.  Very sad.

My point is with parity, no conference automatically deserves half the playoff bids. Win your stickin conference and remove all doubt!

I can't stand Bama any more than you....and I'm not saying they always deserve two in....but I haven't seen anything from the B1G to make me think their 1 loss champ is any better than SEC 1 loss team. A&M were ranked 6th in preseason polls and picked to finish with only one loss (Alabama) going in. I know that is preseason but they were much better than their start. If that Penn St game was played in Jordan-Hare the reversal likely happens. I don't think Alabama is beating Georgia anyways...so I don't think we have anything to worry about but right now OSU needs a lot of help to make it in. While OSU is likely better than Cincy (who they should schedule but won't so it's their own fault they may lose a spot to them) and Oklahoma they will probably be in ahead. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can't stand Bama any more than you....and I'm not saying they always deserve two in....but I haven't seen anything from the B1G to make me think their 1 loss champ is any better than SEC 1 loss team. A&M were ranked 6th in preseason polls and picked to finish with only one loss (Alabama) going in. I know that is preseason but they were much better than their start. If that Penn St game was played in Jordan-Hare the reversal likely happens. I don't think Alabama is beating Georgia anyways...so I don't think we have anything to worry about but right now OSU needs a lot of help to make it in. While OSU is likely better than Cincy (who they should schedule but won't so it's their own fault they may lose a spot to them) and Oklahoma they will probably be in ahead. 

I get where you're coming from, and agree with most of what you're saying. I just can't stand the influence of ESPN on preseason polls and what that does to perceived conference strength.  

Once OSU tweeked their defense, Georgia is the only team I've seen in their league. No idea how it all shakes out, but there will be arguments for several teams left out. 

• Like 1

I get where you're coming from, and agree with most of what you're saying. I just can't stand the influence of ESPN on preseason polls and what that does to perceived conference strength.  

Once OSU tweeked their defense, Georgia is the only team I've seen in their league. No idea how it all shakes out, but there will be arguments for several teams left out. 

The sad part about it is how much those preseason polls play a part come the end of the season.  Georgia's win over Clemson earlier this year looked glorious.  Now I sit back and wonder why the Bulldogs didn't beat them by 40.  LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

OSU has been better....that was a major egg they laid against Oregon...inexcusable. With Clemson and likely ACC out this year and the PAC12 and B1G 12 looking down it would be a travesty for the B1G to not even have a team represented...and it's very possible they won't. Again...they have no excuse for not getting Cincy on their schedule...playing teams like Akron and Ohio U instead...deserve to have it bite them in their butt.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

The sad part about it is how much those preseason polls play a part come the end of the season.  Georgia's win over Clemson earlier this year looked glorious.  Now I sit back and wonder why the Bulldogs didn't beat them by 40.  LOL

They had a ton of injuries on offense....they've been slowly getting healthy...also it appears Clemson just going through the motions right now with nothing to play for but pride.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Belief.  It all starts in the heads of players and collectively the locker room.  They thought they could play with Georgia so they did.  Then the doubt set in and others started to believe Clemson was beatable and so they did.  

Is it not the same with IU?  They no longer believe they could beat a nail into a rotten board with a sledge hammer.  But they could have beaten the number 2 team with one changed call.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Belief.  It all starts in the heads of ayers and collectively the locker room.  They thought they could play with Georgia so they did.  Then the doubt set in and others started to believe Clemson was beatable and so they did.  

Couldn't be that Clemson sucks?