Big 10 Finish Predictions

IUFLA

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What?  Illinois at 7?  You morning drinking?

No...I think they underestimate the loss of Ayo, and overestimate how good Curbelo will be...

The kid needs to develop an outside shot...and he can turn it over a lot...

Cockburn will get his, but unless the Illini prove early that Williams is as good an outside shooter as he was last year with a higher volume of shots, and someone else beside Trent Frazier steps up to 35%+, he'll be double and triple teamed pretty much every time he touches it...

Edited by IUFLA

Just now, IUFLA said:

No...I think they underestimate the loss of Ayo, and overestimate how good Curbelo will be...

The kid needs to develop an outside shot...and he can turn it over a lot...

Cockburn will get his, but unless the Illini proves early that Williams is as good an outside shooter as he was last year with a higher volume of shots, and someone else beside Trent Frazier steps up to 35%+, he'll be double and triple teamed pretty much every time he touches it...

Fair enough but I disagree.  I'd also flip MSU and NW.  OSU to win is an interesting pick but it's what Archie thinks as well.  PU, UI, IU, and OSU all have a shot at winning the league imo.

I didn't grow up an IU fan, so I don't have the ingrained Purdue hatred that a lot of people here have, but I still think they're overrated. I will be surprised if they compete for the BIG title. I think OSU and Michigan will be at the top. By tournament time MSU and IU will be right there with them, but both of us will lose a few winnable games early in the conference, so we won't have a shot at the regular season crown.

I agree with you on Illinois - I'd say they're a bubble team. They'll make it, but not by that much. Northwestern is more of a true bubble team and might not make it.

• Like 2

Just now, HoosierDom said:

I didn't grow up an IU fan, so I don't have the ingrained Purdue hatred that a lot of people here have, but I still think they're overrated. I will be surprised if they compete for the BIG title. I think OSU and Michigan will be at the top. By tournament time MSU and IU will be right there with them, but both of us will lose a few winnable games early in the conference, so we won't have a shot at the regular season crown.

I agree with you on Illinois - I'd say they're a bubble team. They'll make it, but not by that much. Northwestern is more of a true bubble team and might not make it.

I think it is Purdue's to lose right now. It looks like they have 2 of the best 6 or 7 players in the B1G and a lot of depth beyond that. Also, love him or hate him, Painter is close to surpassing Izzo for the best coach in the conference....maybe already has. (I'm talking systems right now, not past success.)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I have the hatred of all things Turdue Toiletmakers, so I'm not sure if its the poop-stained glasses or not, but I agree with you to an extent. I think they'll go as far as Ivey takes them. From what I've seen (only a few games vs. IU and probably B1G tournament and NCAA tournament) he forces things (similar to Carson Edwards), so if he's on then they'll be tough and if he's not they'll lose some games they should have won.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We match up well against PU imo.  Rob can guard Ivey as well as anyone and we have plenty of bigs to throw at them.

Ivey averaged 15 ppg against us last year, and if I remember correctly, Rob didn't fare too well against him (and neither did Armaan or Al). If Rob struggles on defense, it always seemed to be kids who had a height advantage on him (like Ivey) and were as athletic as he is (like Ivey)...That's why I think maybe Bates can help. He's basically the same size as Ivey, same athleticism, and has that chip on his shoulder like Ivey does...I would say Geronimo too, but he struggled guarding wings out on the floor last year...

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Have to force tempo and make Edey get up and down the floor. He can be taken away. Cannot let them control pace or it could be a long day

Which is why I liked the Durr pickup so much...He'll be a big factor off the bench in guarding Edey, Cockburn, and Dickinson...I don't think Edey will start for Purdue (Trevion Williams will make sure of that) but it'll be nice to have someone that can push those big guys out of their comfort zones...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Have to force tempo and make Edey get up and down the floor. He can be taken away. Cannot let them control pace or it could be a long day

Here's to hoping Woody can implement a successful strategy. Call me jaded, but my optimism is hesitant. I can't even remember the last game IU dictated anything, let alone tempo, against Purdue. Many teams look good on paper against Purdue and think they can take their bigs out of the game, but very often, it doesn't come to fruition. 

*I promise this ends my Purdue praising for they day. 

41 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Tier 1

Purdue 

Tier 2

Ohio State 

Michigan

Illinois 

Tier 3

Indiana 

Michigan State 

Maryland 

Tier 4

Rutgers 

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Tier 5

Iowa 

Penn State

Tier "will they even win a game?"

Minnesota 

I'm closer to this one where depending on schedules Michigan/Purdue/Ohio St I think are lead dogs. I would move Illinois back to the tier we are in just as said earlier....you don't get better when you lose a player like Ayo. You just don't. 

I pray Wisconsin is back in Tier 4 but until they actually end up there I have to keep them in our neighborhood. 

Tough, tough conference again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm closer to this one where depending on schedules Michigan/Purdue/Ohio St I think are lead dogs. I would move Illinois back to the tier we are in just as said earlier....you don't get better when you lose a player like Ayo. You just don't. 

I pray Wisconsin is back in Tier 4 but until they actually end up there I have to keep them in our neighborhood. 

Tough, tough conference again. 

Schedules do matter....I'm only going to go through what I think is the top half of the B1G...

Ohio State

Teams they play twice in the B1G

Penn State

Nebraska

Indiana

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Maryland

Michigan

Play once

@ Home

Northwestern

Michigan St

Iowa

Away

Purdue

Illinois

Rutgers

Purdue

Rutgers

Indiana

Illinois

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Michigan

Iowa

Play once

@ Home

Ohio St

Nebraska

Maryland

Away 

Penn St

Minnesota

Michigan St

Indiana

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Penn State

Purdue

Minnesota

Maryland

Ohio State

Play once

@ Home

Michigan

Illinois

Rutgers

Away 

Iowa

Northwestern

Michigan St

Michigan 

Nebraska

Rutgers

Illinois

Michigan St

Iowa

Ohio State

Purdue

Play once

@ Home

Minnesota

Northwestern

Maryland

Away 

Indiana

Penn St

Wisconsin

Maryland 

Northwestern

Indiana

Rutgers

Iowa

Illinois 

Michigan St

Ohio St

Play once

@ Home

Wisconsin

Penn St

Minnesota

Away 

Nebraska

Michigan

Purdue

Northwestern

Maryland

Michigan St

Illinois

Penn St

Minnesota

Nebraska

Purdue

Play once

@ Home

Rutgers

Wisconsin

Indiana

Away 

Ohio St

Michigan

Iowa

Illinois

Rutgers

Maryland

Michigan St

Michigan

Purdue

Northwestern

Iowa

Play once

@ Home

Ohio St

Wisconsin

Penn St

Away 

Minnesota

Nebraska

Indiana

Michigan St

Minnesota

Penn St

Maryland

Michigan

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Illinois

Play once

@ Home

Nebraska

Indiana

Purdue

Away 

Iowa

Rutgers

Ohio State

Rutgers

Illinois

Purdue

Michigan

Nebraska

Maryland

Wisconsin

Penn St

Play once

@ Home

Iowa

Michigan St

Ohio St

Away 

Indiana

Northwestern

Minnesota

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

They'll be very good, but I think they and OSU were the two most overrated teams in the country last year. I picked both of them to lose the first weekend of the tournament and felt I was being a bit bold...then they both went and lost a round earlier. 

Purdue is going to get a ton of hype because of how much they return, which is significant in today's game, but also makes a lot of media members drool over them because the whole "get old and stay old" spiel makes them feel like it's the 1990's again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

We can take care of your lack of ingrained Purdue hatred.  But PU will be very good this year.  Think they only lack a PG.

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just thought I'd see what the prevailing thought on the B1G season is...here's what I came up with...

Ohio State 

Purdue 

Indiana 

Michigan 

Maryland 

Northwestern

Illinois 

Michigan State 

Rutgers 

Wisconsin

Iowa 

Nebraska

Penn State

Minnesota 

Anybody else?

Good list, the few changes i would make is move Michigan up to second, and have Turdue and the Hoosiers as 3a and 3b then move the MSU up to 5th and Illini up to 6th. Like you i think the Badgers and Hawkeyes have a big dropoff this season.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Good list, the few changes i would make is move Michigan up to second, and have Turdue and the Hoosiers as 3a and 3b then move the MSU up to 5th and Illini up to 6th. Like you i think the Badgers and Hawkeyes have a big dropoff this season.

I'm just not sold on Michigan. I know Dickinson is good, but he has to be within 8 feet of the basket, and Smith, Livers, Wagner, and Brown were good enough shooters to get him the room he needed to operate.

Someone linked an article that said something to the effect that Juwan Howard had proven himself to be one of the best coaches in college basketball...I think 2 years, one of which he finished 10-10 in the conference, is way too short a sample size to make a proclamation like that...

I know he has a great freshman class and transfer Devante Jones coming in, but I'm skeptical that they can take on the load the 4 guys I mentioned above provided...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just not sold on Michigan. I know Dickinson is good, but he has to be within 8 feet of the basket, and Smith, Livers, Wagner, and Brown were good enough shooters to get him the room he needed to operate.

Someone linked an article that said something to the effect that Juwan Howard had proven himself to be one of the best coaches in college basketball...I think 2 years, one of which he finished 10-10 in the conference, is way too short a sample size to make a proclamation like that...

I know he has a great freshman class and transfer Devante Jones coming in, but I'm skeptical that they can take on the load the 4 guys I mentioned above provided...

Yeah there is definitely questions with Michigan. Their season depends on how the freshman can adjust to college ball. 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Bozich not high on IU.

I think some people, especially the media are sleeping on the Hoosiers because of the unknown.

My thing with IU is they have possibly the best player in the league in Trayce, experience in the backcourt with Xavier, Parker and Rob, plus incoming shooting with Kopp. Then you add in Bates who looks like the real deal and Geronimo who i think has a ton of potential plus Race and Durr, the Hoosiers have as much talent as anyone in the B1G. And that is without even mentioning the untapped potential of Lander to go along with the other youngsters.

Personally i think the Hoosiers have the talent to win the B1G, the only reason i would put then a little bit lower is because of the transition to a new coaching staff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1